ians soup.......

rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
what the hell was that with ian and the soup? hiding it then eating it with his fingers? :confused::eek:

hes not been behaving like that whilst being fed at maxs or phils, was he?

and yet hes deemed well enough to sign over a house and businesses?? :mad:

is it just me? :confused::o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy's made it clear she wasn't going to cook for him. I'm guessing at Phil's or Max's they prepared his meals for him and served it to him in a plate, with cutlery. He's still feeling awkward about being back home, perhaps because he knows how Lucy feels, so feels awkward about helping himself.

I wonder if that's how he ate his meals while living rough, too. Scavening and eating leftovers out of tins and packets?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Saw the title and immediately thought it was some sort of offshoot from "Lauren's Sandwiches" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the title and immediately thought it was some sort of offshoot from "Lauren's Sandwiches" :D

Believe me, I'm sure everyone thought the same :cool:
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same :D
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but I felt really sorry for him stood there eating his soup with his fingers. Poor Ian lol
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Lucy's made it clear she wasn't going to cook for him. I'm guessing at Phil's or Max's they prepared his meals for him and served it to him in a plate, with cutlery. He's still feeling awkward about being back home, perhaps because he knows how Lucy feels, so feels awkward about helping himself.

I wonder if that's how he ate his meals while living rough, too. Scavening and eating leftovers out of tins and packets?

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Think of Max and Phil/Shirley feeding him as being like the way the shelter would have fed him and his fellow homeless: hot food all cooked ready, dished up ready, cutlery there, no effort for the homeless person other than to find the courage to turn up to eat it - and think of 'home' as being back on the streets: he hadn't been 'given' the tin of soup, he'd had to 'steal' it from someone else's (to him now, someone else's) cupboard, hence hiding it behind his back, and also he would have been used to fighting over every little scrap of edible (and probably not so edible) food when homeless, so hiding it would also have meant more for him. Eating it cold would have been how he would have eaten on the streets.

I thought it was a very realistic scene, whoever did the research to write it did it very well indeed. I've seen and heard things I hope never happen to anyone in my family in terms of being homeless in terms of some of the work I've done over the years - Jersey is an island of extremes, and we do have a 'resident' (no pun intended) homeless community in town who live exactly like this. Many never even make it to a shelter as Ian obviously did occasionally, because usually shelters are often 'dry' (so no alcohol) but for many homeless drink is their anaesthetic to the state they are in, and refuse to give it up, even for hot food and a bed for the night. So the shelter takes the hot food to them, but the bed remains a concrete stairwell in a multi-story car park.

How Lucy can still be such a selfish cow, even after seeing Ian reacting the way he did last night, amazes me in one way, but sadly not in others. She is her mother's daughter, isn't she! Only sees what she can get out of any situation, not caring if she hurts her Dad in the process (Cindy hired a hit man to shoot him didn't she?) when it's quite clear there are extenuating circumstances for which he needs help, not more punishment. She saw Ian's strange behaviour with the soup, but instead of it being a 'lightbulb' moment and her thinking "maybe there is something wrong after all - maybe I'm wrong to be like this with him..." she just looked disgusted as if he was doing it on purpose to hurt her!

I really hope this s/l is resolved with Ian's mental state now negating the papers he signed last night. There has to be justice for Ian - and I don't even like the character, lol!
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rapunzel4 wrote: »
    what the hell was that with ian and the soup? hiding it then eating it with his fingers? :confused::eek:

hes not been behaving like that whilst being fed at maxs or phils, was he?

and yet hes deemed well enough to sign over a house and businesses?? :mad:

is it just me? :confused::o

Plus he has only been on the streets for about a month not 10 years.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Plus he has only been on the streets for about a month not 10 years.

That was my thought .He was only gone a few weeks .You could be in ICU longer and not forget how to eat !!
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I thought it was beans, but whatever, you wouldn't forget how to use a spoon in a few weeks. It was OTT. I expect we'll see him churning out fry ups and fish and chips in a couple of weeks. This could have been such a good s/l but they've made it ludicrous...no medical help, signing over everything etc. I'm disappointed.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    why though use his fingers i know hes had a breakdown but that was over board
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshsarah wrote: »
    why though use his fingers i know hes had a breakdown but that was over board

Overboard in your opinion or do you know for sure? The way Ian was portrayed with the can of food is completely in keeping with someone who's been homeless with the emotional breakdown Ian's had. I've seen it. It's not nice, but I've seen it. Everyone is different, but the way they portrayed Ian last night is realitic. Even someone who's only been living on the streets for a relatively short time (like Ian, a matter of a couple of months/three months) will become 'feral' in a very short space of time just to survive. Some of the people I've worked with have done so in an even shorter period of time when their lives have fallen apart in ways you can only imagine. Merely putting that person back into a civilised environment does not make the habits acquire 'on the streets' disappear overnight.
  • welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    ok yeah he might have done that
    i got experance with breakdown
  • IdentityIdentity Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He feels he is unwanted in the house, while Phil and Max made him as welcome as they could. Even Shirley was being nice, and she rarely does that.

Lucy makes him feel like he should bugger of to some place else, like people would do with bums haning around nearby.So he falls back into what he has learned on the street by now, feeling as if he is back there. Grab whatever food you can, , don't touch peoples properties, be invisible if you can, be gratefull for everything you can egt your hands on.

He was scared Lucy would be angry with him for just taking the soup, like one would be anrgy if he took the soupd from your bag or shoppingcart. He uses as little as possible, as he feels it isn;t his to use and he needs permission to do it, MAx and Phil would have encouraged him to do as much as possible by himself and probably cooked a meal and gave him food, on a plate, I assume. Lucy does not, as she does not want to look after Ian or be responsible for him, Sure, he is her father and he's ill, but she is a teenager, looking after a kid, trying to keep loansharks away and their heads above water, she can't deal with her dad and everything right now. In fact he'd be better of living at the Brannings, or staying with Shirley, or even have Jay stay with him and look after him.

I did notice how Lucy started to find it odd that her dad apologized, she did not rant anymore, like she did when he first said sorry, she explained to him what she thought he needed to be sorry for, she didn't now and clearly is ok with Ian being there. Not 100% ok and comfortable, but getting there. such a thing doesn't happen overnight, not with the recent past, not with a teenager and not with Lucy. She did have this look upon her face when she watched him eat the soup like that, cold and no spoon, where I felt she looked like she was sorry for Ian and seeing him like this was hurting her, like it would hurt any child to see a parent like that. I think it is the first step forward for them and having him there is making Lucy realize how much she loves her father, no matter who was right or wrong about what and how such things don't matter now.

It was a good scene, not very subtle, except for the looks and stuff, but it was needed, Lucy would never pick up on small things, not now she is mainly angry at Ian and sorry for herself, she never did understand other peoples problems that well, so why would she now?

I am looking forward to the two of them rebuilding the father-daughter bond, as it is not the usual ting, where one of them has done wrong, victimizing the other, now working to gain forgiveness, or assuming the deserve it, and the other trying to put things behind them, both have been hurt by the other and have hurt the other, both did the best they could and in neither case was it enough, neither can really be blames for what they did, all emotions are totally reasonable and explainable, by illness, fear, sadness, etc.
  • cuzacuza Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I thought it was beans, but whatever, you wouldn't forget how to use a spoon in a few weeks. It was OTT. I expect we'll see him churning out fry ups and fish and chips in a couple of weeks. This could have been such a good s/l but they've made it ludicrous...no medical help, signing over everything etc. I'm disappointed.

I think it was Heinz tomato soup. Not so good cold. Yes he should have had medical help. He's clearly lost the plot and no one seems to think some kind of medical intervention would be a good idea.
  • LousianaLousiana Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's obviously been eating out of bins with his fingers it will take a while for him to adjust to normal living again. He might not have been away for 10 years but he's suffered a breakdown and has been sleeping rough for 8 weeks that would have a profound effect on anybody. He was clearly so desperate to taste something that hadn't been half-eaten/thrown away poor chap. Although he could have cooked it first.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Identity wrote: »
    He feels he is unwanted in the house, while Phil and Max made him as welcome as they could. Even Shirley was being nice, and she rarely does that.

Lucy makes him feel like he should bugger of to some place else, like people would do with bums haning around nearby.So he falls back into what he has learned on the street by now, feeling as if he is back there. Grab whatever food you can, , don't touch peoples properties, be invisible if you can, be gratefull for everything you can egt your hands on.

He was scared Lucy would be angry with him for just taking the soup, like one would be anrgy if he took the soupd from your bag or shoppingcart. He uses as little as possible, as he feels it isn;t his to use and he needs permission to do it, MAx and Phil would have encouraged him to do as much as possible by himself and probably cooked a meal and gave him food, on a plate, I assume.
    Lucy does not, as she does not want to look after Ian or be responsible for him, Sure, he is her father and he's ill, but she is a teenager, looking after a kid, trying to keep loansharks away and their heads above water, she can't deal with her dad and everything right now. In fact he'd be better of living at the Brannings, or staying with Shirley, or even have Jay stay with him and look after him.

I did notice how Lucy started to find it odd that her dad apologized, she did not rant anymore, like she did when he first said sorry, she explained to him what she thought he needed to be sorry for, she didn't now and clearly is ok with Ian being there. Not 100% ok and comfortable, but getting there. such a thing doesn't happen overnight, not with the recent past, not with a teenager and not with Lucy. She did have this look upon her face when she watched him eat the soup like that, cold and no spoon, where I felt she looked like she was sorry for Ian and seeing him like this was hurting her, like it would hurt any child to see a parent like that. I think it is the first step forward for them and having him there is making Lucy realize how much she loves her father, no matter who was right or wrong about what and how such things don't matter now.

It was a good scene, not very subtle, except for the looks and stuff, but it was needed, Lucy would never pick up on small things, not now she is mainly angry at Ian and sorry for herself, she never did understand other peoples problems that well, so why would she now?

I am looking forward to the two of them rebuilding the father-daughter bond, as it is not the usual ting, where one of them has done wrong, victimizing the other, now working to gain forgiveness, or assuming the deserve it, and the other trying to put things behind them, both have been hurt by the other and have hurt the other, both did the best they could and in neither case was it enough, neither can really be blames for what they did, all emotions are totally reasonable and explainable, by illness, fear, sadness, etc.

BiB: this is the answer to the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That scene just repulsed me.

It would have been more plausible had he of just drank it!
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ditto! Expect to now see a mention of Ian's soup in the 'Soap legends that aren't characters' thread!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have seen homeless people eat out of cans the way Ian does. It's very plausible, it shows that the EE writers had been paying attention to this particular storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should be sectioned for his own good. A couple of weeks of good care and he would be on his way back to health. But Lucy is too tied up in her own self self world to care. She just wants everything signed over to her so she can boot him out and have it all.

Lucy pretended to be carrying a baby for jane , I think that rates higher as being vile than Ian losing his marbles and leaving her to deal with one debt collector. The issue with Derek she brought on herself by being vile to his daughter.
  • dancingdaisydancingdaisy Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Whether he uses his fingers or not to eat soup is immaterial to me, for someone who has been living on the streets for weeks, eating scraps from bins etc and sleeping in gutters he certainly looks well fed ;) Did you see the size of his gut? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But as I've said twice on this thread already, and others with experience have said too, you keep on about it not being 'plausible', and we keep telling you it exactly one of the behaviour traits exhibited by someone who's had to fend for themselves on the streets.

Someone asked why Ian suddenly behaved as he did with the soup when he'd been using a bowl and spoon etc at Max's and Phil's - and (again, as I said before) the answer to that is that Max and Phil house were treating Ian, and Ian was allowing himself (in his befuddled state) to be treated, as in the shelter (which we know he turned up at more than once during his time on the streets). Shelters dish up their food in bowls with cutlery and so mostly they are used by the people eating there. Once back on the street, however (or, as Ian's brain translates that now, his own house) it's each man for himself again, food is fought over or stolen, and hidden, and you eat it with whatever you have to hand.

I think the really issue is the one that you've identifed yourself - that Ian's behaviour repulses you. Therefore it is easy to find fault with the way it is being portrayed. Let's hope you never have to see this side of life for real. It is repulsive, they do smell, they are completely on the side of themselves and no one else when it comes to survival. Sadly being put back into 'real life' doesn't make the other issues go away overnight - and that's when the homeless person is returning to a loving home! God knows what returning to someone like Lucy would do to them!

Yes, Adam does still look a little 'portly' - that bit hasn't helped the realism! You could be generous and say that if he has been living on cans of larger and cider as alcoholic anaesthetic to get through the day (as many homeless do, it's part of the culture) then that is in itself fattening, but the lack of regular, nutritious food usually does still have an impact, plus the hardness of living that life. There are very few portly homeless over here, anyway - most of them look wiry and certainly not fat. Maybe Adam was asked to lose a stone or so for the role and refused, or maybe just couldn't manage it!
  • rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies

iv had experience of working with homeless people too, i still think the scene was a bit much for someone on the streets a matter of weeks.......

but the signing over of the house and business? :mad: lucy must have known he wasnt in a fit state........