Lana del Rey Appreciation Thread

Comments

• DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O!M!G!!!!!!!

That was incredible! The black and white video just added to the beauty of of her voice. Just love the emotion in her voice too, little aching tone she puts on the chorus lyrics, brilliant. Funnily enough as I watched that I got a advert flash up saying "learn how to really sing." I thought I already am, surely the answer is: watch Lana Del Rey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is I soooooo hope she does Dark Paradise when she comes to the UK. Its looking like it was a one off for the Rome crowd, the lucky, lucky, lucky people. I believe that is the only live performance of the song she has ever done.

I couldn't resist sticking this link to Young and Beautiful in from the same show just because...well her vocals are amazing. Would they be anything less these days? But er, near the end look at her Marilyn Monroe impression over the fan in this show! I mean she's done little blasts of that before, but Bloody! Hell! Lana! :o You, naughty, wild, she-cat, you! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qwTy9FjfAk
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I've entered the Manchester 02 Apollo competition to win tickets for the 23rd...used a couple of email addresses ;)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a little over 2 weeks to go!!!!!
    omg, so close!
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    A snippet of yet another unreleased track has leaked.

Crooked Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-19NPWwcHno

PS The Great Gatsby is out in the US today (Lana's opus is apparently featured, in differing lengths, 3 times). It will be interesting to see how the song progesses (up to #34 on US Itunes and riing at the moment). I really think this could be her first big US hit single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed that Lana's Dublin gig is strictly over 18's only.
    Is this the case in all her gigs? I would imagine a large chunk of her fanbase are made up of 15/16 year old "hipster" girls so they're missing out:eek:
    (Not that I'm complaining:p )
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm unable to make any of Lana's shows but some awesome person has uploaded one to Youtube and the quality is amazing. I won't link directly here in case it alerts someone who might report it, but it's the next best thing to being able to attend in person until, hopefully, an official DVD is released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol someone uploaded all unreleased songs on YT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871VstrI42I
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My try to deconstruct the Y+B video

First we see her fake tears and the mirrors with her image. I think it displays her shallow personality.

The next the faceless conductor with musicians. This is interesting because it's a homage to fantasia she used this image in her first version of video games, it shows us that this is not just a film score video, but rather Lana's take on the story.

The fantasia reference shows the at the time most successful conductor Leopold Stokowski who conducts music of the best musician ever J.S.Bach. She will display the power of the great Gatsby but the conductor is faceless, she is only interested in his power and partying He is the great Zampano the MC.

The next interesting thing is she is laying in a bubble, it's most likely a reminiscence to Hironymus Bosch "Garden of earthly delights". she is the ultimate seduction eve, the primal sin.

Then she try to go through a door, well I think this is a take on Kafka's Before the Law, she will never goes through that door she will never be responsible for her actions, the conductor ends his music and game over for him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    Lol someone uploaded all unreleased songs on YT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871VstrI42I

Thanks so much for this! I have about 45 of Lana's unreleased songs so there are thirty or so in this playlist I can add to my collection. Yay! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson; I think the age limits are just because they sell booze, which is pretty normal for most gig venues. Hipster girls would have been lucky to get a ticket anyway with how fast they sold out, it was blink and the tickets have gone wasn't it! Wow!

offtotheraces; Don't worry about it, we've been linking all those mobile phone you-tube videos of Lana's gigs on here for ages. They'd soon take them off You-Tube regardless if they were illegal. Vids on phones are legally ok-its theft of copyright material that isn't.

Whilst there are some artists/bands that get upset about concert filmed You-Tube vids, Lana is quite open and happy for people to record her singing. It serves the double whammy of being a great treat for fans a great promotion tool for her. Plus, it proves she can actually sing- which is always great ammo to throw back at muppets who still think the stage fright riddled 15 month old SNL performance was the sum of her talents.

She's just been brilliantly entertaining and watching her change from the shy girl into a totally dominant world beating live performer she is now has just been one of the greatest musical pleasures. Thank-you Lana.

What I would say to anybody out there is if Lana does bring out a tour video make sure you buy that as well too. If you love an artist- be it Lana or anyone else - support them. We live in a sales driven world and if you don't support what you like, nobody else will.

Wonderful nearly 5 hours(!) worth of unreleased songs rbautz! And bloody hell I thought it was just me that did the arts analysis, that's some synopsis of the new video! I do think she's damned clever. There's always thought and intention behind everything she creates and it can be great fun trying to decode it all and find out what she's really saying. Definitely the true Queen of Pop Art.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

offtotheraces; Don't worry about it, we've been linking all those mobile phone you-tube videos of Lana's gigs on here for ages. They'd soon take them off You-Tube regardless if they were illegal. Vids on phones are legally ok-its theft of copyright material that isn't.

Ah, that's good to know.

The show I was talking about was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXOnENd7TFo

It's the Düsseldorf show from last month and has been amazingly captured. I've rarely seen such a well-shot concert by an audience member that really seems to capture the true atmosphere. I just wish I could attend in person. Lana's come such a long way with her live performances. :)
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Lana Monday. So excited. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how long the show lasts? I'm seeing her tomorrow in Birmingham and need to plan my train home! Thanks x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leecamowol wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the show lasts? I'm seeing her tomorrow in Birmingham and need to plan my train home! Thanks x

If the shows beginns at 8 pm she starts to sing at 9.10-20 and the end will be at 10.45

no liability assumed ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot she's now hit the UK. Fab, give us an update/review on how it went.

LDR Online have got excerpts from her latest magazine interview:
    http://lanadelreyonline.com/lana-del-rey-covers-fashion-magazine/

She's revealed she was a big Amy Winehouse fan, which definitely makes sense. Also talks about how her boyfriend Barrie kicks her ass if she's not writing or making something. So maybe we've got Barrie to thank for how productive she is!

Plus she mentions one of the songs on the new album has a Spanish guitar on it, which could be a new flavour to her music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    I see Lana Monday. So excited. :D

So jealous! :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From another forum
    Originally Posted by theincredibleflipper View Post

I talked to someone from Universal Germany (she got her first record deal there) about her releasing covers and stuff all the time and if they know before. He told me they are as surprised as we are whenever Lana wakes up and decides to upload a music video for some cover version. He also said it's very hard to schedule her releases because you'll never know if there is another video for another single around the corner. "It's like we schedule Cola and the next day some intern finds her talking about Dark Paradise so we reschedule - and wonder - and in the end we have her singing a Gatsby-song so anything else is somehow scrapped."

Thought I tell you because I found it interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that clears up why there's no Cola video. It’s not some shadowy corporate people at the label saying no, it’s cause she has other plans. She just works so quickly the label people can't keep up with her, probably confusing and a complete joy for them in equal measure that she is so self-created.

I think in the internet age you have to be, and she is the ultimate in using the web to constantly engage her fans and keep them entertained with a constant stream of content. I recently saw an interview with a label exec where he gave some muddled ideas about how acts could maybe use the web more to help boost sales, and I thought you pillock. LDR's been doing most of what you say and then some on top for the last 2 years yet you haven't picked up on it have you? Shows how she's well ahead of the game.

You know in that interview I just linked she talks about how she understands feminists don't like her for her sexy image and how she's sorry but it’s just that she like likes men that can dominate her. I don't entirely believe that. In the bedroom yes, I believe she likes a man that can f**k her hard in the pouring rain, but at everything else she dominates. If she appears submissive its more she's clever enough to know society is afraid of dominant females but she knows how to milk that.

She definitely wears the trousers calls all the shots, you can see that with how she deals with her label and runs her career. I've noticed a few of the fans on the comments You-Tube vids simply call her "Queen!" Which, yeah, pretty much sums her up really!
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish people wouldn't use the argument that all feminists hate her. (that's not aimed at the person above btw) I'm a feminist, and I'm a massive Lana fan. If anything being a feminist isn't about judging a woman for her choices it's about wanting women to be able to MAKE those choices. It's like when people say if a woman doesn't like someone, she's just jealous. No, that's not the case.

And the people that claim to hate her because they're a feminist aren't a very good one and haven't really grasped the concept of feminism.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    BREAKING NEWS!

US ITunes

#10 Young & Beautiful - Lana Del Rey

WOW! The other versions of the song are #75 and #107 so the song is probably #4 or #5 combined.

Lana has her first US smash hit single! Now that god awful industry known as US radio needs to START PLAYING THIS SONG and this could even go to #1.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love lana just bought tickets to see her on Thursday in Glasgow I can't wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

She looks like Kelly Brook in the photo!:D