Do you agree or disagree with Greg Rutherford r.e. Nelson Mandela?

HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Greg Rutherford has been at the centre of a lot of controversy this evening on Twitter, after posting to his followers in an arguably abrasive tone that he didn't appreciate being bombarded with tweets telling him to watch the news reports of Nelson Mandela's tragic death. Some say Greg was in the wrong and showed great disrespect in his tweet, while others argue that Greg was in the right and doesn't have to be forced into doing things he doesn't want to.

But where do you stand? Do you agree with Greg, or do you think that he is showing disrespect?

Do you agree or disagree with Greg Rutherford r.e. Nelson Mandela? 182 votes

I agree with Greg, he shouldn't have to be forced into doing things he doesn't want to.
87% 159 votes
I disagree with Greg, he was in the wrong and showed a great amount of disrespect.
12% 23 votes

Comments

• 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people who bitch and moan about twitter should stop going on it. Its not mandatory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Who he?.

But it's his Twitter feed, as long as he stays within the law he can say what he likes.

I would guess though that if you are in the public eye, as I presume he is, you have to be extra careful about what you tweet.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    He's right. Mandela's dead. We know and we can see it for ourselves. There doesn't have to be some period of compulsory mourning, does there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While it was unnecessary for him to tweet that, he isn't being disrespectful towards Mandela's death so I am neutral.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nelson Mandela's death was not 'tragic' - he was 95, for Pete's sake!

The media are going overboard about this. The last time there was blanket coverage like this was when Diana died, but her death was tragic because she was only 36.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Is all the palava because a 95 year old man has died or because an iconic reformist and national leader is no longer with us?

Seems like the best course of action is simply to accept that some people WILL be greatly saddened by Mandela's passing and let them mourn his loss without criticising them.

As somebody once said; "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Greg Rutherford anyway? I for one have never heard of him, so I don't care what he tweets any more than he would care what I write here.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Who is Greg Rutherford anyway?

British long jump gold medallist at the Olympics apparently
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks. Just googled it now. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Yeah, had to Google that to find out.

He should have a bum like Jess Ennis, then everyone would have known who they were straight away. :)
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe people are telling him to watch the news about Mandela! Are people going to check every twitter account to make sure everyone is watching the news?!

I don't think he showed any disrespect unless he has deleted a tweet.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Is all the palava because a 95 year old man has died or because an iconic reformist and national leader is no longer with us?

Seems like the best course of action is simply to accept that some people WILL be greatly saddened by Mandela's passing and let them mourn his loss without criticising them.

As somebody once said; "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing"

Ah, De mortuis nil nisi bonum, eh? I quite agree.

However, where was that sentiment last year when Thatcher snuffed it?;)
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, De mortuis nil nisi bonum, eh? I quite agree.

However, where was that sentiment last year when Thatcher snuffed it?;)

Nowhere since Thatcher died in 2013. :P
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's entitled to his opinion but he does come across as a bit of a prick in his replies.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    Greg Rutherford has been at the centre of a lot of controversy this evening on Twitter, after posting to his followers in an arguably abrasive tone that he didn't appreciate being bombarded with tweets telling him to watch the news reports of Nelson Mandela's tragic death. Some say Greg was in the wrong and showed great disrespect in his tweet, while others argue that Greg was in the right and doesn't have to be forced into doing things he doesn't want to.

But where do you stand? Do you agree with Greg, or do you think that he is showing disrespect?
    I think he can tweet what he likes and watch whatever he wants to on his own TV! I chose to watch the Mandela tribute, just as - apparently - he chose to watch a programme about drunken Brits in Kavos.

His tweet wasn't disrespectful, he was replying to people tweeting him ad nauseum - from what I can see - telling him that he should be watching one thing over another, thought police tweets. They were the ones being disrespectful I'd say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching Friends.

How u doin'? haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    I'm watching Friends.

How u doin'? haha
    I'm envious. I would love to be watching Friends :)
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's "twitter"?
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's "twitter"?

I for one, cannot for the life of me fathom what on earth twitter is all about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's "twitter"?
    It's the sound people make when speaking rubbish en masse ;)

(I tend to use it quite often myself :D)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    He could have phrased it better I suppose, but I also sympathise with his view. I don't understand why his followers presume he doesn't know Mandela is dead
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's he on about, he doesn't have to read the tweets, hasn't he got anything better to do ?
    Likewise, he hasn't got to watch anything to do with Mandela if he doesn't want to. I watched about Mandela on the 10 O'clock news, then switched to a movie on Sky. He must be a bit feeble minded if he feels he's being "forced" to do anything by the posters on Twitter or any other social media site. The guy's an idiot.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shock horror that not everyone cares and not everyone liked him.
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's he on about, he doesn't have to read the tweets, hasn't he got anything better to do ?
    Likewise, he hasn't got to watch anything to do with Mandela if he doesn't want to. I watched about Mandela on the 10 O'clock news, then switched to a movie on Sky. He must be a bit feeble minded if he feels he's being "forced" to do anything by the posters on Twitter or any other social media site. The guy's an idiot.

Why is he an idiot because he asked people to stop tweeting him about Mandela?
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    I'm watching Friends.

How u doin'? haha

I'm waiting for the Kings of Queens :D

He may be a prick but he is right, a significant portion of the world don't give a monkeys