Options

Can I still eat anything in moderation while exercising?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying to lose weight again, and the last time I did it I havent ate junk food, crisps, chocolate, fried egg, for 1 year, and when I stopped, and ate normally, I piled it back on and am back to the start,

I need to have junk food and snacks in my diet otherwise I will get fat again and again!

If I eat something like KFC, Crisps and chocolate every few days and still diet and go to the gym, will I be able to lose weight this way?

Comments

• Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will lose weight if you burn off more calories than you take in. There's not much more to it than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    You will lose weight if you burn off more calories than you take in. There's not much more to it than that.

What if you eat say like 300 calories and burn off 150?

and what happens to the other food I ate, does it cancel out?

for example, a muffin before KFC? if I burn off the muffin and not the KFC and eat a few hours later, then eat something light!

the calories will be bellow 2500 won't it?
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »

for example, a muffin before KFC? if I burn off the muffin and not the KFC and eat a few hours later, then eat something light!

You have to burn more calories than you take in daily, that's the bare bones of it. Depending on your weight and metabolism (2500 is just an average used for examples), your body will naturally burn a certain amount of calories each day. This is the amount you should eat to maintain a steady weight. To lose weight you need a calorie deficit; i.e, either consume fewer calories than your body naturally expends each day; consume the amount your body naturally expends each day and then exercise to create the deficit; or use a combination of both.

The only way to do it is to be aware of how many calories you are consuming and how many you are expending. It doesn't matter if you eat an x before a y and then burn the y off so you can eat the z. That's just making a very basic concept unnecessarily convoluted. Either way, you have eaten that food and you have taken in those calories. Whether you burn calories with exercise in the morning, after each thing you eat, or at night doesn't really matter. Add up your calories. If they don't go over your daily allowance, any exercise on top of that will result in weight loss, the rate of which will depend on how much you do. Don't muddy it up by thinking well if I eat this now and then do this exercise then I can eat this and then later have this and do some exercise so this will cancel out. You only need to think of it as a very simple equation: eat this amount of calories and burn this amount of calories. Set the amount of calories you consume each day and stick to it and, providing this limit is within your allowance, any exercise you do will contribute towards weight loss, whenever you do it.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calories are fuel. Your body uses fuel. If you put more fuel in than you use then your body stores that fuel for future use - you get fat. Use more fuel than you eat -you get thinner.

Sorry if that's a bit simplistic.

eta...what they said up ^^ there :blush:
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Just get help with your obsession for junk for and then you won't need to exercise.

It's always excuses with people and weight as to how keep on stuffing their faces and still lose weight.

You are stuffing too much food and not exercising enough that is why you put on weight.
    It really is so simple but as it is not the answer wanted, they just ignore it and work out another way that still allows them to stuff food.

GET RID OF THE FOOD!
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to lose weight again, and the last time I did it I havent ate junk food, crisps, chocolate, fried egg, for 1 year, and when I stopped, and ate normally, I piled it back on and am back to the start,

I need to have junk food and snacks in my diet otherwise I will get fat again and again!

If I eat something like KFC, Crisps and chocolate every few days and still diet and go to the gym, will I be able to lose weight this way?

If you worked out for 6 or 7 hours a day like they do on The Biggest Loser then yes you could probably eat crap and still lose weight but a better idea would be to eat the right food in the first place because that way you can lose weight whether you exercise or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36XJaETbh8
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member

You'll have a net gain of 150 calories. You can definitely lose weight while still eating junk food as I have done it you jut need to be careful with how much junk food you're eating. I would say go use MyFitnessPal. If you MUST have junk food then fine make sure though that you record everything you eat and at the end of the day after your eating and exercise has been taken into account you should have spent more calories than you took in and you'll lose weight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still have KFC, crisps or whatever I do and have lost weight but I have it as a treat every few weeks. If I'm lazy one day and get a takeaway I do more exercise at the gym the next day to make up for it.

A lot of machines at the gym will tell you how many calories you burn off; half on hour on the treadmill might only get rid off 350 or so calories depending on the distance which is definatley not enough for a KFC which can be worth well over 1000 calories.

It's no a diet; it's a lifestyle choice and something you need to stick at.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you keep stuffing the food in when you are exercising it sometimes goes down the wrong way. (- to Morden).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I was just Googling stuff about gym stuff, and I came across this, I really don't remember making this thread! :o

Since I bumped it up, I might as well say it here,

I'm worried that I will get fat, I burned off 380 calories at the gym and after, I ate a steak and kidney pie, which had 290 calories, and drank a Lucozade sports drink!

I feel guilty that all the work I did amounted to nothing if I will gain weight!
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member

Absolute nonsense!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute nonsense!!

Not really, if I stop it completely, and after the diet is finished, and I eat it, won't I pile it back on?
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I was just Googling stuff about gym stuff, and I came across this, I really don't remember making this thread! :o

I'm worried that I will get fat, I burned off 380 calories at the gym and after, I ate a steak and kidney pie, which had 290 calories, and drank a Lucozade sports drink!

I feel guilty that all the work I did amounted to nothing if I will gain weight!

W U M at work
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    W U M at work

Looks that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    W U M at work

What does that mean, and why did you say it?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We went over this in your other thread yesterday, I do not think you are taking in what people are telling you.

To lose weight, you need to use more calories daily that you take in. That is all there is to it. Yes it can get tough and life gets in the way and sometimes you'll have a terrible food day, but ultimately it will even out and if you eat less than you expend then you will lose weight.

Your calories burnt at the gym and the steak and kidney pie mean nothing on their own, it depends what else you eat, not to mention how many calories you use just doing day to day activities.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does that mean, and why did you say it?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wum

G { . ) ( . ) gle is your friend
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fairly prolific poster, really. I'm giving benefit of the doubt.

But I don't think the OP is listening.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can incorporate the foods you like into a healthy lifestyle, and still lose weight.

The key is portion control. It's not healthy to be in a cycle of eating very little for a few days and then gorging on a lot of junk food. Rather than periodically eating the same quantities of your favorite foods it would be more sustainable to find ways to integrate those things into your diet in sensible portions.

If you had one single piece of KFC chicken with some veggies and an unsweetened beverage, that would be a perfectly healthy meal. You can have the biscuit with another meal and the crisps with another meal, just factor them into the total calories and macronutrient ratios that you're trying to hit. If there is some kind of junk food that you really want that is simply unavailable in sensible portion sizes, then split it up, save the rest for another meal. It can be done.

I've been gradually losing weight while also eating out once a day (making careful choices about where and what to get). It's slower than on a more strictly controlled diet, but I feel more sustainable because I don't feel deprived. To keep the weight off it has to be a lifestyle that you can be happy with indefinitely. If it's a horrible diet that you are waiting to be over, then eventually it will be over and you'll gain the weight back.

There are certain types of foods that I'll just avoid, because they're not worth it, but I can eat all the things that I enjoy most, as long as I can find ways to control the portion sizes to an appropriate number of calories. It helps that I don't like fast food crap like KFC in the first place, but it's easy to overindulge on good quality food too. You need to learn to eat less of everything, and then you shouldn't need to try to stop eating anything good.