The self-entitilement of comic book fans

computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,018
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok so this is going to be a bit of a rant, but personally i think it's getting a little out of hand now.

I first noticed it in the TV show "Smallville" when so many comic book fans were moaning about the show not following the comics, when it was blatently never intended to do so. Now i've noticed this self-entitletment has made it's way into mainstream movies, with comic book fans demanding this or that villain, or for this and that to happen. These guys would also love terrible things because it was closer to the comics, or hate awesome things because it didn't follow the comics. I know in some cases it is not that black and white, but a lot of comic book fans just seem completely insane to me.

So how do you think that this self-entitlement is going to affect the millions of upcoming comic book movies?

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not at all if the producers have any sense.
    Smallville was a brilliant spin on Superman but the dreadful final episode gave the finger to its many fans.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Not all comic book fans are like that but I know what you mean.Im a comic book fan but some of the online reaction is way over the top like the reaction recently to the new Wonder Woman outfit.I liked the new outfit but there were a lot of fans online moaning about the lack of colour compared to the original outfit!
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Self entitlement isn't restricted to the comic book world. You'll see it in Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. And it's not just long running franchises, some of the more vocal and whiny criticism of how certain tv shows ended was by self entitled people who didn't get the endings they wanted.
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Self entitlement isn't restricted to the comic book world.

This ^

You get it when any other media is adapted into a film or series (books, comics, cartoons) - it's not just restricted to comic fans.

As RebelScum also mentions, you also get it from fans of long running series, and even soaps...people who think they know the characters more than the writers ('Bob would never do that, he would have done this...'), or go nuts when they don't get the outcome they want.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    So how do you think that this self-entitlement is going to affect the millions of upcoming comic book movies?
    Regarding the ongoing success of these things, the response and feedback of the casual audience is likely to be more important. It's them that vault these things into the upper strata.

The 'fans'? They'll be there on opening weekend regardless of what's been done.

Bitch, moan, whinge...but still more than willing to hand over their cash.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Regarding the ongoing success of these things, the response and feedback of the casual audience is likely to be more important. It's them that vault these things into the upper strata.

The 'fans'? They'll be there on opening weekend regardless of what's been done.

Bitch, moan, whinge...but still more than willing to hand over their cash.

That just gives them more to bitch and moan about - I wasted X pounds/Y minutes of my life*, etc, etc...

* - oh the irony