Options

The X-Factor: Destiny's Desire - Live Show One!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Carlisle's comment:
    When I saw you were singing I skipped the first word of the artist and only saw ‘Mac’ and I panicked!! I thought that Zak was giving you Fleetwood Mac (god forbid )… Fortunately for both you and us it wasn’t and I actually really liked that performance, Suzie. All four Overs are pretty similar if you think about it so it’s actually quite nice to see Zak differentiating you from the others. I think it worked and I hope this continues, good job Suzie.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Suzie Furlonger – I have to admit, I’d never heard this song before, but its actually a really great fit for your voice, and a pretty good start to the show. For some reason, a lot of people remember you as this kind of sad, weepy figure, so it’s especially good to see you singing something STRONG and slightly more upbeat. I think you definitely deserve your place here after that.
  • Options
    SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suzie Furlonger.
    Hello Suzie! I was really glad you were in my selection to choose from in Judges Houses! For this first performance, my main goal was to separate you from the other ‘belters’ in this competition (who are mainly in my category) and I thought your softer belting side managed to pull off this up-tempo choice very well! I hope you’re here to stick around for a while because I think whilst you may just be a challenge to mentor, I’m more than ready for a challenge! I thought you handled this effortlessly Suzie, very well done!
  • Options
    LyriccsLyriccs Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Suzie Furlonger-
    This is by far my favourite performance this far, Suzie, I think whe need to see this side of you a whole lot more, because this is the kind of song I would buy from you. You are nice to watch at and to me the whole song worked for you. I don't have anything negative to say, the only thing I want to say, is that I'm not sure which other songs your mentor is gonna pick for you- slowly songs or songs like this one. Whe will see, good job girl.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Fantastic comments there for Suzie, well done! Zak must be pleased!

John Adams is hitting the stage with Bigger Than Us!

White Lies – Bigger Than Us (Acoustic Cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBwmspepU8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Adams.
    Hello John, I thought this was a good performance – not great or anything above, but really good! I think the acoustic route is the right way to go with you as it really suits your vocal tone and this emotional song specifically was very good for you as it’s the type of performer I can imagine you being. I particularly liked the moments that we saw you stretch those vocals (for the good this time) which allowed us to see you put in the effort which brought on a certain ‘passion’ about the performance and whilst I don’t want you getting stuck in this acoustic route which can then be difficult to get out of, it’s a good direction for you – specifically for the first few shows. Well done John.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Adams – As a big White Lies fan, at first I questioned why you used a cover of the song, but I actually have to say I quite enjoyed the different version, and can understand exactly why Carlisle picked it for you. It was fairly in your comfort zone, but again, that’s not necessarily a bad thing, and I think it’s a great first performance from you. Vocally it was challenging, but not out of your reach. I don’t think you’ll be going back to the classroom any time soon after that, for definite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carlisle's comment:
    You have these beautiful, soft vocals, John, and that is what I want to see from you! This was a great way for you to show off those as well as challenge yourself with some of the bigger & longer notes. All in all, I definitely think you delivered and that was a pretty effortless performance from you, to be honest. I will definitely be continuing down this route of soft rock & acoustic indie. However, I have a few things up my sleeve to make that perhaps less boring than it sounds!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry!

John Adams-
    Well John, to me this was a beautiful performance, well done! Your voice is so... raw, it's obvious your mentor is taking you in the right direction. To be honest, I'm not really sure if the audience is gonna vote for you, but I hope they do because I think you deserve to be here at least a few more weeks!
    I hope y'all gonna like this performance, I'm taking a bit of a risk with this strapped back performance, it's the lovely Jade Thirlwell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEeBjfkkH8w
    Soldier - Nina Longordo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carlisle's comment:
    I wasn’t expecting this off of you, Jade, but pleasantly enough it actually worked! I don’t think it is really going to make a huge impact on the competition because it isn’t a very memorable performance however I do think it is perfect for you and I won’t be at all surprised when you sail through to the next show. Good job, Jade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade Thirlwell.
    Hello Jade and welcome to the first live show! I thought this was a really nice performance and that your subtle vocals had a very ‘nice’ effect and it was a performance that was easy to connect with. I think it’s a really great way for you to start off this competition. I really don’t like the cover that has been linked, but I understand what your mentor was trying to do Jade and I thought it worked very well! As I said, and I’ll repeat, it was a nice (verging on beautiful) performance. In the future, I want to see these subtle vocals take off so that you can show off your true vocals Jade, very well done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jade Thirwell – I think it’s really interesting that Lyriccs picked this route to go down for you actually, because it’s not in my opinion the most natural fit for you. However, I have to say I absolutely love it, and I’m very pleased to see he’s taken such a big risk for you! I really like the original song, and I think the different arrangement of it really makes it much more appropriate for your voice. So overall a great pick, and I’m very excited to see where the future leads for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jade Thirlwell-
    Oh Sweet Little Jade, This was just what I needed. It wasn't extremely powerful, but whe all know you can do that. This was just to show your sweet side a little bit more and ofcourse whe are gonna give you other songs the next few weeks, I'm sure whe can work on that and with you there are allot of opportunities to choose. Right now I'm just really proud, well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good comments there for both Jade and John!

Almost there now! Up next is the last of the groups, so Gav, please introduce your last act!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the last group of the night are my absolutely gorgeous, talented ladies, The Lovettes!

Steady As She Goes - Corinne Bailey Rae
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxPo8Dj24A
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lovettes.
    Hello there girls. I thought this was a very, very good performance and I would certainly say it was the best Group performance of the night! The vocals were quite powerful and particularly suited you both as a group and individually because I’ve always thought the vocals in ‘The Lovettes’ have actually been to a very high standard and I was fairly disappointed when they weren’t put through to the live shows. However, I digress, I thought it was an excellent song choice actually, very well done girls!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carlisle's comment:
    I really liked you on the show, actually, more so the Bootcamp performance over the Judges Houses performance but you were still one that I was hoping would get mentored and there is none better than Gav to do this I think. Although Corinne perhaps wouldn’t be who I would pair you up with in terms of music styles, that performance SO worked and is actually one of my favourite Corinne songs so good job, girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Lovettes-
    Girls, I love the artist you've been given and the direction your judge is taking you. I think this was a very powerful performance, it was sweet and soft and at the same time it was filled with power. I liked that! I wouldn't be suprised if you are the group who's going to be here for a long way, girls.
    Good job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Lovettes – I absolutely love you as a group, girls, and I’m very excited that the public selected you to be in the competition. I hope I haven’t disappointed anyone who’s voted for you with this song choice, as I feel it suits you down to the ground. It was fun, soulful but it had a slightly rocky twist to it, which I think set you apart. It’s really important to me to set you apart from Husstle, as I feel that you’re very different groups, but I absolutely loved this from you, and hope that the viewers did too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fantastic comments there for Gav's last group of the night! Well done ladies, great start!

Next up is the last over of the evening! Zak, over to you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my last over of the night is the incredible Katie Angus!

Only You - Alison Moyet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EavnJwKXops

(If you don't know who Katie Angus; CLICK this.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Katie Angus - I really love the fact that you’re in the competition, I think your voice is absolutely amazing, and isn’t celebrated anywhere as much as it should be on here. Having said that, I didn’t love this performance quite as much as I love you. I think while you’re great at transferring emotion into songs, something here didn’t quite translate, and I almost found myself a little bored? It wasn’t bad, just when your other overs were so strong Zak, it fell a little short for me. So it's not the worst of the night, but it's not the best either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carlisle's comment:
    Ah, Allison Moyet… one of Zak’s personal favourites! When Brenda sand ‘Invisible’ she did very well in the voting so I can see why Zak would give this to you. For me, it totally worked and I really enjoyed it. I won’t lie, I had NO idea you even existed before this competition but I’m glad it has introduced you to me and I think that if Zak keeps mentoring you well you have a long time left in this competition, good job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katie Angus.
    Hello Katie! I was so glad when you were voted through to my four going through to the live shows, well, even if you weren’t, you were going to be here anyway. I thought this was a powerful performance filled with emotion which therefore made it a beautiful performance. It was very passionately sang which made it a performance to connect to, Katie. There’s not much else I can say, I thought it was a brilliant, beautiful performance, very well done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Katie Angus-
    To me, this was a little bit of a whack performance. I love the energy you are bringing to the stage, but I didn't felt a strong connection. I'm not really sure about the song, but I hope that the audience are willing to vote for you and give you a chance, because I'm sure your mentor can do so great things with you!