Options

Ebay - Difference of opinion

2»

Comments

• Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything that jasvinyl has said.

I'm afraid it's people like the OP's buyer that give Ebay a bad name, and there's a fair few of them, apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just got another email threatening to dispute it tomorrow if I don't reply

I have tried to reply telling him to send it back recorded for a refund but my bloody email is deciding to play up! It worked for him to send the message to me.

Why me??? :mad:
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    I once bought a PC monitor for my grandmother on ebay and when it arrived perfectly packaged I unwrapped it to discover it had a massive crack in it (the casing). I thought if it's just the casing it could still function. I plugged it in and it blew up.

I took photos and emailed the seller. I got no response so I opened up a dispute. Still no response until the last day before the dispute would automatically close. He said I had made no effort to contact him to resolve the problem (which of course to anyone with common sense would appear nonsense). I can't remember exactly how it all works but then there was another part to the dispute where I had to wait again after my response to him. Again, nothing until the last day before it would automatically close. Ebay found in his favour.

To add insult to injury he left me negative feedback. I was SEETHING like I've never been seething before. I contacted Ebay about my issued but they weren't interested. It was and still is my only ever negative feedback. It's gone now off my record I think. I don't use ebay anymore as I don't think it is looked after like it should be - I mean it's too big now and open to abuse.

I'd just say ignore it, though you will be forced to refund him. Really drag it out as long as you can.

Find a new way to sell your CD's.

Sometimes Ebay messages dont go through
  • Options
    EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    I have just got another email threatening to dispute it tomorrow if I don't reply

I have tried to reply telling him to send it back recorded for a refund but my bloody email is deciding to play up! It worked for him to send the message to me.

Why me??? :mad:

Ebay will just say the as what the majority on here have said

He has to send it back via tracking at his own cost before he can get a refund from you
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is one negative feedback really such a bad thing? People seem to get in such a tizzy over one little comment and preserving their 100% status.
    I think the majority of sane, rational people would look at someone's feedback and decide that if 99% of previous transactions have gone smoothly, there's probably nothing to worry about. Someone would have to have five or six bad transactions before I would stop buying from them.

OP, if you're convinced the buyer is being unreasonable, let him open a case against you and fight for his money back - all you have to do is reply (through e-bay's dispute console) that the item wasn't faulty, you suspect he's copied it and see no reason to refund him.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Yes I sent all my items recorded delivery as they can claim they never got it.

I have been nothing but polite to him and will offer him this option.

Recorded delivery really makes no difference at all, you're effectively paying 75p [i think] extra for something that's rarely enforced.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a full time seller i would just refund it - is it honestly worth your time and hassle - its the price of doing business we factor it in to our costs as not everyone is honest
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I sell lots on ebay and you run into this from time to time its about 2%

I once sold a faulty camera for spares to a guy and he actually messaged me

with (I'm not joking) "that faulty camera you sold me doesnt work youre a scammer"

I had a laugh at that one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've told him to send the CD back and he will get a refund - thank you all for your help and we can all get back some happy ebaying:)
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Is one negative feedback really such a bad thing? People seem to get in such a tizzy over one little comment and preserving their 100% status.
    I think the majority of sane, rational people would look at someone's feedback and decide that if 99% of previous transactions have gone smoothly, there's probably nothing to worry about. Someone would have to have five or six bad transactions before I would stop buying from them.

OP, if you're convinced the buyer is being unreasonable, let him open a case against you and fight for his money back - all you have to do is reply (through e-bay's dispute console) that the item wasn't faulty, you suspect he's copied it and see no reason to refund him.

I only deal buy from sellers with 100% positive feedback & I do everything I can to maintain my 100% feedback as a seller.

People pay more for items if your feedback is 100% positive, because they know you're reliable, so it's worth its weight in gold.

I broke my own rule & bought something from a seller with less than 100% positive in the last year & I came to regret it. When the item arrived it looked nothing like the photo, moreover it was listed as brown/beige when it was actually cream. I offered to return it at my own cost if the seller would refund me, but he wouldn't budge. I eventually got my money back from ebay as the listing had been inaccurate, and I got to keep the item which I later sold. But never again.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    I only deal buy from sellers with 100% positive feedback & I do everything I can to maintain my 100% feedback as a seller.

People pay more for items if your feedback is 100% positive, because they know you're reliable, so it's worth its weight in gold.

I broke my own rule & bought something from a seller with less than 100% positive in the last year & I came to regret it. When the item arrived it looked nothing like the photo, moreover it was listed as brown/beige when it was actually cream. I offered to return it at my own cost if the seller would refund me, but he wouldn't budge. I eventually got my money back from ebay as the listing had been inaccurate, and I got to keep the item which I later sold. But never again.

That's a crazy policy. If 99 customers are happy and 1 is moaning, that does not indicate that the seller is bad. It indicates that you can't please everyone, no matter how good you are.

It's all about how many negatives they have, what they say, and the time period they occur in. Sometimes people get confused and accidentally leave a negative with a comment like "great, would use again". If it's all green until a month ago and then a spate of reds turn up, probably the seller is having problems and you should avoid them for the time being.

Boycotting someone because of a single negative is bizarre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a crazy policy. If 99 customers are happy and 1 is moaning, that does not indicate that the seller is bad. It indicates that you can't please everyone, no matter how good you are.

It's all about how many negatives they have, what they say, and the time period they occur in. Sometimes people get confused and accidentally leave a negative with a comment like "great, would use again". If it's all green until a month ago and then a spate of reds turn up, probably the seller is having problems and you should avoid them for the time being.

Boycotting someone because of a single negative is bizarre.
    It's really not hard as a seller to keep 100%.

Sellers with 100% positive will do anything to keep it, so if there's an issue with an item they'll always want to keep the buyer happy.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really not hard as a seller to keep 100%.

Sellers with 100% positive will do anything to keep it, so if there's an issue with an item they'll always want to keep the buyer happy.

But people can give you negatives for the most stupid of reasons, that are not within the control of the seller. For example the amount of time it took to come in the post.

If somebody has only one or two negatives I always look those up to see if the buyer seems sensible or not.

Anyway, I thought different rules applied to returns of things like CDs, DVDs and software that could be easily copied by a buyer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    But people can give you negatives for the most stupid of reasons, that are not within the control of the seller. For example the amount of time it took to come in the post.

If somebody has only one or two negatives I always look those up to see if the buyer seems sensible or not.

Anyway, I thought different rules applied to returns of things like CDs, DVDs and software that could be easily copied by a buyer?

Sure I look at the negatives, but there aren't that many that are totally unjustified.

I always use first class recorded delivery & I've never had any complaint about the time it took, quite the opposite.
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure I look at the negatives, but there aren't that many that are totally unjustified.

I always use first class recorded delivery & I've never had any complaint about the time it took, quite the opposite.

Well I don't know how many items you've sold, but if you've sold hundreds of items then the odds on one or two going astray in the post must be high. And even if you've replaced the item or given a full refund, there's always some idiot that will still leave negative feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I've got 100% positive feedback as a seller myself, but I've only sold a few items over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't know how many items you've sold, but if you've sold hundreds of items then the odds on one or two going astray in the post must be high. And even if you've replaced the item or given a full refund, there's always some idiot that will still leave negative feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I've got 100% positive feedback as a seller myself, but I've only sold a few items over the years.

I have sold 100s of things yes. I've had a couple of things go astray but I just refunded the money & sorted it out with the Mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly.

Some people are just naturally hard to please and no matter what you do to rectify the problem, they will still give you a negative because you inconvenienced them or because they had to return an item for a refund. No matter how good or helpful you may be, some people are never satisfied.
    (This is true in life as well as e-bay!) :D

For example, the person I ordered dresses from had six negatives in one week. When I looked at the complaint, it was the same seller who'd bought six different fabric swatches and typed 'PAID 99P FOR FABRIC SWATCH AND ITS ONLY SMALL!!!!'
    I ordered same fabric swatches and had no problem at all with their size, and the dresses she made after I'd chosen my colours looked amazing. Those six negative ratings did her overall rating damage, but in my opinion were unjustified.

I'd never write someone off for having less that 100% because even the best seller in the world may have to deal with the customer from hell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has emailed me to say he won't be sending it back or wanting a refund as he has sold it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has emailed me to say he won't be sending it back or wanting a refund as he has sold it on.

Glad to hear it. He was probably just trying it on, hoping his bullying tactics would scare you into offering a refund or even a partial refund without him having to return the item.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I look at the negatives too and weigh it up against the positives and assess their ratio of negative to positives

If there are only a couple amongst very many positives, I generally put it down to them having an awkward customer who, whatever you do, will pick holes in your service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I have 1 negative as I didn't refund quick enough, so I left rude comments on it.

Definate mine field
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just re-fund him and move on.
    You win some, you loose some.
    The CD won't be worth mega money and as others have said eBay will "force refund" them when they file a dispute.

Annoying tho.

Edit - Didn't see that he was "happy" now.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sold 100s of things yes. I've had a couple of things go astray but I just refunded the money & sorted it out with the Mail.

See that's naive as that won't stop a buyer leaving negative feedback our customer service policy is very good but we do get the odd negative thankfully most people don't think like you or we would be out of business!
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sold a CD along with many others that have hardly been played and sold as nearly new.

I check all my CDs, paperwork and covers to make sure they are in a decent playable condition as I like to provide a decent product.

Most of the CDs have been sold for far less than I paid but accept that is the way it is these days. This CD is the same.

I have had a buyer say he disagrees with my description and wants his money back. The CD is not faulty, he has a difference of opinion to what he considers to be nearly new. I state no refunds as people could copy and claim it isn't OK. Or they could damage it and claim it was how I sent it.

I emailed him back and stated this but he got nasty and accused me of fraud

Does this happen to anyone else on Ebay?

If he sends you a nasty email you could report him.