Options

BT Dialling issue

mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all,

This is a bit of a weird one, we've been having problems dialling numbers, we enter the number but it sometimes does not register on the line. it doesn't go silent while you enter the next number nor do you hear the tone acknowledging the number it's just a continuous dial tone.

This is with a normal DECT phone [Also happens with an older set, both different brands]. We also have a reproduction bakelite wannabe phone whenever we plug that in, it just opens the line as soon as you plug it in, you can hear the dial tone through the loud speaker.

We've had this problem for a while seems to have started when we had fibre [not infinity as its only 20mbps] installed and I've tested both phones, but now it seems to be getting worse!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing to do. If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part faceplate, remove the lower section to reveal the test socket. Plug a bog standard corded phone into the test socket (not a DECT phone or this reproduction phone).

See what happens using the test socket. If everything is perfectly fine then the problem is either your internal extension wiring or the phones you are using. However if you get the same problem then it is more likely to be a line fault.

It is important you determine if the fault is with the line or your own internal cabling/phones. If you call out BT and they determine the fault is with your wiring/phones then you could be looking at a £100 or so bill. If it is with the line then you shouldn't be charged. The test socket isolates your house wiring and connects directly to the BT line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    First thing to do. If you have an NTE5 type master socket with the two part faceplate, remove the lower section to reveal the test socket. Plug a bog standard corded phone into the test socket (not a DECT phone or this reproduction phone).

See what happens using the test socket. If everything is perfectly fine then the problem is either your internal extension wiring or the phones you are using. However if you get the same problem then it is more likely to be a line fault.

It is important you determine if the fault is with the line or your own internal cabling/phones. If you call out BT and they determine the fault is with your wiring/phones then you could be looking at a £100 or so bill. If it is with the line then you shouldn't be charged. The test socket isolates your house wiring and connects directly to the BT line.

Thanks for the reply.

We've plugged in two different phones to the test socket, all do the same thing, not acknowledging the number entered just a constant dial tone it's random when it happens, so I'm not sure how we prove there's a fault.

Used the 17070 test number for ring back and quiet line test, all fine and normal.

Called the house phone using a mobile, all goes through fine, also did a line check on-line result was 'no fault detected'.

Bloody annoying.
  • Options
    interactiv-ukinteractiv-uk Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mpmc17 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

We've plugged in two different phones to the test socket, all do the same thing, not acknowledging the number entered just a constant dial tone it's random when it happens, so I'm not sure how we prove there's a fault.

Used the 17070 test number for ring back and quiet line test, all fine and normal.

Called the house phone using a mobile, all goes through fine, also did a line check on-line result was 'no fault detected'.

Bloody annoying.

One question - how did you manage to use the 17070 test if you can't dial out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One question - how did you manage to use the 17070 test if you can't dial out?

:o Sorry I missed your post!

I never said we couldn't dial out, In my original post I wrote
    "we enter the number but it sometimes does not register on the line.", We had to hang up and try to dial out again, and kept doing it until it did.

Although It seems BT have fixed whatever the issue was a few weeks ago as it hasn't happened again so far. :)