Mosque manages to censor BBC.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just watched my recording of a BBC3 programme that I recorded yesterday.

Ironically, it was called 'Free Speech' and came from a mosque. One of the subjects was about homosexuality. A short film was shown and then the presenter explained that the mosque did not want such a subject to be discussed. He went on to say that it would be discussed in the next programme in a different venue.

I find the fact that this was allowed to happen astonishing on a few levels:

There was no obvious reason for the programme to come from a mosque. I am assuming that this was done by the BBC for 'diversity' and 'inclusivity' reasons. These same people being pandered to then start discriminating against other minority groups!!

I am assuming that they were paid rent for use of the building, so what has it got to do with them what is discussed? There would be outrage if, for example, a local village hall was hired and one of the conditions was that the discussion of the muslim faith was forbidden.

Why did the producers of this programme not clarify the position beforehand, or if the demands were made at the last minute go ahead anyway (after explaining the concept of free speech that so many died and suffered for in this country). Another option could have been to refuse to broadcast the programme altogether, rather than have their editorial independence interfered with.

What do others think?

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree I have nothing against individual's who are Muslims, but I find Islam's intolerance hard to stomach.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking about the preponderance of threads having a pop at Islam here (fine to have a go about it, but I see precious little evidence of people criticising other religions for their equally homophobic attitudes - that's the real hypocrisy). It probably says something about the demographic of the kind of people coming on DS, really.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    I'm thinking about the preponderance of threads having a pop at Islam here (fine to have a go about it, but I see precious little evidence of people criticising other religions for their equally homophobic attitudes - that's the real hypocrisy). It probably says something about the demographic of the kind of people coming on DS, really.

To my knowledge no other religion in this country has censored a live television debate before (happy to be corrected if they have).
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

You are either kidding or blind to what goes on in GD because if there's not a thread running about Christianity, where the Catholic church's attitude gets dragged into it, then there's one on Islam's homophobic attitude which is then derailed by the Catholic church getting dragged into it.

Open your eyes before criticising members.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

There's no hypocrisy, as Christianity often comes up here for discussion about its homophobic attitudes.

What's your view on the actual subject of this thread?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is the classic line, nicely delivered...
    As others have mentioned, other religions get FAR more criticism. I suppose it's because other religions are FAR less militant (nowadays)
    Forum Member
    It's all rather odd. As it's unusual for the programme to come from a mosque, I assumed that Islam would be among the subjects to be debated. But the only question about Islam wasn't allowed to be discussed!
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    What do others think?
    Stephen Evans, campaigns manager at the National Secular Society, said: "After agreeing to allow a programme called Free Speech to be filmed at the mosque, it is absurd and counterproductive to then censor the topic being discussed."

and
    Ads wrote: »
    Pretty appalling for the BBC to refuse to debate an issue because the bigots that run the venue the show was hosted in said they couldn't.
    stoatie wrote: »
    The Today Programme's just had ten minutes on it.

A censorship row has broken out over the BBC Three programme Free Speech, after the Birmingham Central Mosque – where the show was being filmed – requested that the topic of being gay and Muslim was not discussed. Dr Mohammed Naseem, chairman of Birmingham Central Mosque, and Terry Sanderson, president of the National Secular Society, debate the issue.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't blame the BBC, all groups are running scared of these religious terrorists.

Really it's for government to stop letting religion dominate. But the Conservatives are very heavily influenced by Christianity at the moment.

It's amazing that in 2014 we have such a malign force as religion still around and powerful in the UK.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's all rather odd. As it's unusual for the programme to come from a mosque, I assumed that Islam would be among the subjects to be debated. But the only question about Islam wasn't allowed to be discussed!

Its very fair. Infact, its very BBC.

They raise a contentious issue, say that the host's have prohibited discussion but agreed to the original question being put and understand that the discussion will take next week.

They then invite you to make your own conclusions, and of course to build audience for next week's show. As I said very BBC!
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    You can't blame the BBC, all groups are running scared of these religious terrorists.
    But there is no suggestion that the mosque is run by "religious terrorists"!
    It's amazing that in 2014 we have such a malign force as religion still around and powerful in the UK.
    Agreed.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not care less about some religions having higher moral standards about homosexuality than many politicians but I do object strongly to any of them censoring BBC content. I suspect the restrictions was placed too late for the BBC to make alternative arrangements for the programme.
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

YEP and they know it.
    Forum Member
    xflare wrote: »
    YEP and they know it.

Who are "they" in this case?
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not allowing dissent is the first admission of being wrong.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People shouldn't be rushing to condemn the BBC or the programme. They were told by their hosts they didn't want them to bring up a certain issue, in theory the mosque could asked the programme to leave and there would have been no show. With what they did a statement was still made about the issue and it allowed viewers an insight into attitudes over the issue. There is also an argument that discussing the issue may have caused trouble.
    I guess it's just a venue at the end of the day, no different to QT coming from a cathedral or a town hall. The programme will need to consider whether they will choose that type of venue again if it's going to limit discussion.
    Forum Member
    I guess it's just a venue at the end of the day, no different to QT coming from a cathedral or a town hall. The programme will need to consider whether they will choose that type of venue again if it's going to limit discussion.

In future the BBC would certainly need to make it clear that the venue cannot decide on the topics to be discussed.
  • Twenty10Twenty10 Posts: 418
    Forum Member

What a daft comment. Not just on the homophobic issue but religions in general. It seems it's ok to poke fun at christianity and other religions but if anyone dare say anything untoward about the prophet Muhammad it seems like the whole world comes crashing down on you (almost literally).

But, of course, that view is just down to 'demographic of the kind of people coming on DS', isn't it?
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    What a daft comment. Not just on the homophobic issue but religions in general. It seems it's ok to poke fun at christianity and other religions but if anyone dare say anything untoward about the prophet Muhammad it seems like the whole world comes crashing down on you (almost literally).

But, of course, that view is just down to 'demographic of the kind of people coming on DS', isn't it?

I couldn't agree more!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Yes, it's worth mentioning that the gay man in the film that they wouldn't allow to be discussed was a gay muslim man who also did a drag act- makes you think.
    lundavra wrote: »
    I could not care less about some religions having higher moral standards about homosexuality than many politicians but I do object strongly to any of them censoring BBC content. I suspect the restrictions was placed too late for the BBC to make alternative arrangements for the programme.

I suspect that the mosque did it at the last minute too to effectively force the BBC to accept their conditions.

In my view the programme should have been postponed, with full reasons given to viewers, to send out a clear message that cencorship of what a broadcaster wishes to discuss is not acceptable in our society. In my view this is all the more relevant when this is the state broadcaster.
    People shouldn't be rushing to condemn the BBC or the programme. They were told by their hosts they didn't want them to bring up a certain issue, in theory the mosque could asked the programme to leave and there would have been no show. With what they did a statement was still made about the issue and it allowed viewers an insight into attitudes over the issue. There is also an argument that discussing the issue may have caused trouble.

As I said above, I believe that the BBC should have left after hearing of this preposterous condition.

Sorry, but the fact that a subject "may cause trouble" isn't a good enough reason to not discuss it. Silencing people by the use of real or perceived threats is in itself a form of terrorism.
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    1andrew1 wrote: »

Thanks for those interesting links. I'm really glad that this has been picked up by the wider media, this behaviour needs nipping in the bud and fast.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Ugh i swear i get more annoyed by religions by the day.
    Forum Member
    A new slant on this story:

"Programme's makers say topic in live show was pulled after threats were received by the mosque where it was filmed"
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/mar/14/bbc3-free-speech-debate-gay-muslim
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    ..... in theory the mosque could asked the programme to leave and there would have been no show.
    I have to wonder what that theory might be!

Pre-Birt, a programme such as this would have been make by the BBC, using BBC resources,
    possibility a hired OB site and a contracted-for-the-series or staff programme editor.
    That programme editor is responsible for the subjects discussed, the time allocated to each topic and
    generally abiding by programme editorial guidelines that are appropriate to that style of broadcast.

The situation today is very different:

a commissioning editor, employed directly by the BBC, has sought a contractor
    to fulfil a programme idea in accordance with the Channel Controller's wishes.

Mentorn won the contract for the production of this series of 'Free Speech' -
    it has a legally binding contract with the BBC,
    Mentorn has agreed to comply with many obligations, including abiding by the
    editorial guidelines issued by the BBC.

Mentorn is free, in turn, to contract as it sees fit production staff, technical
    facilities and staff and location of origin for the live outside broadcast;
    one of those hired staff will have programme editorial responsibility for
    the transmission and, no doubt, liaises closely with the commissioning editor.

Your suggestion is that, in this case, Mentorn has struck a contract with whichever body
    deems it their role to hire out a car park of a mosque on which a further contractor erects
    a temporary structure that enables Mentorn to fulfill its contract with the BBC

and that, in so doing, Mentorn has passed some or all of the programme's editorial control to the 'mosque'.

What reason have you for saying this?

"In theory", if the mosque asked the programme to leave on editorial grounds and there
    had been no show then Mentorn would have been in breach of its contract with the BBC.

The 'Today' item yesterday did suggest there was weakness in Mentorn on such matters -

was the pre-Birt BBC more robust? I think so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on News Watch now. The BBC were concerned about threats to the Mosque and the community, that is why it was pulled. What is this country coming too. The police should investigate and prosecute