Options

Matt Smith In New Terminator Movie!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    well i hope this film is like the others apart from the Salvation one..that latter one was crap..I hope it goes back to what Terminator is about, fighting another cyborg ( i have yet to watch the third one on dvd from poundland, but i have seen the film before lol)
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    So from what I've read that Matt Smith role is only a small role in this Terminator film but will grow in the second and third films.Ive also read that his character has a big connection to John Conner!

Its a big role for Matt Smith especially to move on past Dr Who!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a third TV actor then, with an aging Arnold.

This is going to be rank.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Mr Bean meets Termie, interesting!
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    In my view, the Terminator films should have finished with Terminator 3.

Terminator 3 might have been better had James Cameron directed, but the story was still good, it was true to the original, Arnie still passed as a non-ageing Terminator, Dr. Soberman gave it the stamp of approval and it put to right a continuity problem created by Terminator 2. That being, if they stopped Judgement Day in Terminator 2, Kyle would not have been sent back in time, John Connor would not have existed and Terminator 2 would not have happened. My only criticism of Terminator 3 was Edward Furlong not playing John Connor. I hate recasts. I was able to overlook it because John Connor was a child in the previous film and it's not as if they didn't try to get Edward Furlong back.

Terminator 4 was a fan boys' film with a fake John Connor and Catherine Brewster.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was a fan boys' series that basically ignored Terminator 3.

Terminator 5 sounds like it's going to be a fan boys film, with a wrinkly Terminator and a bunch of celebrity actors. Horrible.
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't picture him in a Terminator film after seeing him play The Doctor but I'll go in with an open mind. I'm looking forward to the fifth movie, T1 and T2 are the best but I have to admit I didn't think the other two were as bad as people make out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the rumoured plot is John Conner going back in time to the period of the first Terminator film like they did in Back To The Future 2 to try to change the timeline
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    That's a third TV actor then, with an aging Arnold.

This is going to be rank.
    Did you really just try to cite "TV actor" in a negative way? TV has been kicking the arse of film for years now :D:D
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Jason Clarke is to play John Connor - who the hell is this actor as he looks nothing like John Connor !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Did you really just try to cite "TV actor" in a negative way? TV has been kicking the arse of film for years now :D:D

If you like drawn out melodrama with ramped up sex, nudity and violence, then yeah, I can see how you'd like tv more than movies these days.
    asyousay wrote: »
    Jason Clarke is to play John Connor - who the hell is this actor as he looks nothing like John Connor !!

He's been in films before, so it's a good start.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »

Considering the character has been played by 6 (non-infant) different actors, and none of them really looked like each other, I'm not sure how you can credibly claim that to be the case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be going against the grain here, but I think the first Terminator movie was brilliant (despite its low budget compared to the sequels) and was NOT in need of any of the sequels. Sure the second one may have looked good and the third had a cracking ending, but 'The Terminator' is just perfect - acting, writing, direction, feel etc. There was no need for the sequels imo.

The first one feels more like a horror film than a sci-fi which I like and making Arnie the good guy in the follow-ups just weakens the character imo.

Despite the talent they have on board for this movie (Matt Smith included) I wish they would leave well alone and come up with some original ideas.... The same goes for Jurassic World, Star Wars 7 etc. We don't need all these sequels, spin-offs, revivals etc.

Maybe I'm just a moody bugger, but I'm not looking forward to this film.

That being said, I wish Matt Smith all the success possible, he's a great actor imo.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be going against the grain here, but I think the first Terminator movie was brilliant (despite its low budget compared to the sequels) and was NOT in need of any of the sequels. Sure the second one may have looked good and the third had a cracking ending, but 'The Terminator' is just perfect - acting, writing, direction, feel etc. There was no need for the sequels imo.

The first one feels more like a horror film than a sci-fi which I like and making Arnie the good guy in the follow-ups just weakens the character imo.

Despite the talent they have on board for this movie (Matt Smith included) I wish they would leave well alone and come up with some original ideas.... The same goes for Jurassic World, Star Wars 7 etc. We don't need all these sequels, spin-offs, revivals etc.

You're not going against my grain. I completely agree. T2 was worthwhile but only really to showcase groundbreaking effects. The post-Cameron films are awful. Arnie should retire now - he's way past it and got enough money!
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

An actor is an actor. They're either good or bad, regardless of whether they're in films or TV.

I think Matt Smith did his best in Doctor Who with - frankly - some quite bad, even cringeworthy writing and dialogue at times. He's a good actor. I also thought and still think he was way too young to play Doctor Who, but I'm sure he's got a great career ahead of him and will get better and better.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought T1 was okay and really enjoyed T2...glimpses of anything else haven't captured my interest at all, but...as Matt Smith was a brilliant Doctor and is a great actor....might give this a go. Admittedly probably when it turns up on TV, tbh.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

No, you're absolutely right. As is so often the case, the original is a great, standalone film that needed no sequel. The subsequent films were largely rubbish and it's a sign of the state of Hollywood that they're still flogging this franchise that should never have been a franchise in the first place.

I'm actually glad that we're getting all these feeble comic book characters in blockbusters now. At least the studios aren't ****ing up decent characters / storylines.:cry:
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    In my view, the Terminator films should have finished with Terminator 3.

Terminator 3 might have been better had James Cameron directed, but the story was still good, it was true to the original, Arnie still passed as a non-ageing Terminator, Dr. Soberman gave it the stamp of approval and it put to right a continuity problem created by Terminator 2. That being, if they stopped Judgement Day in Terminator 2, Kyle would not have been sent back in time, John Connor would not have existed and Terminator 2 would not have happened. My only criticism of Terminator 3 was Edward Furlong not playing John Connor. I hate recasts. I was able to overlook it because John Connor was a child in the previous film and it's not as if they didn't try to get Edward Furlong back.

Terminator 4 was a fan boys' film with a fake John Connor and Catherine Brewster.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was a fan boys' series that basically ignored Terminator 3.

Terminator 5 sounds like it's going to be a fan boys film, with a wrinkly Terminator and a bunch of celebrity actors. Horrible.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was far superior to T3 and was quite right to ignore it. T3 was an insult to the two classics that preceded it.

Why they persist with Arnie is beyond me. He looks ridiculous as a Terminator now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terminator Genisys 2 announced for 19th May 2017 and Terminator Genisys 3 for 29th June 2018
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I read that the plot of Terminator: Genisys involves some neat time-looping with the original in the vein of Back to the Future II, and that it is a daring departure from expectation. Special effects will be used to weave events of the first movie in with this one. I'm intrigued to see what they do with it.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a recent interview Schwarzenegger said the Terminator's human flesh ages, not sure if that's just him saying that or if it's established within the movies. Either way, his age doesn't bother me that much, it's his more whatever his outfit will be. If they fit him into the leather again it would look ridiculous. Hopefully whenever he lands in the past it won't be near a bunch of punks or bikers...or hipsters for that matter!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Hopefully whenever he lands in the past it won't be near a bunch of punks or bikers...or hipsters for that matter!
    Yes, we can't have an aged Arnie wearing oversized specs & high tops, chasing his prey on a fixed wheelie.

One thing I didn't know: According to AICN the terminator rights revert back to James Cameron in 2019, which is presumably why they're pumping out this new trilogy rather quickly. Now I'm all for big-scale ambition, but I'm not sure if BTTF 2 - style meddling is a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    In a recent interview Schwarzenegger said the Terminator's human flesh ages, not sure if that's just him saying that or if it's established within the movies. Either way, his age doesn't bother me that much, it's his more whatever his outfit will be. If they fit him into the leather again it would look ridiculous. Hopefully whenever he lands in the past it won't be near a bunch of punks or bikers...or hipsters for that matter!

There's a screenie here of him in more appropriate attire of jeans and a green military style jacket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, we can't have an aged Arnie wearing oversized specs & high tops, chasing his prey on a fixed wheelie.

One thing I didn't know: According to AICN the terminator rights revert back to James Cameron in 2019, which is presumably why they're pumping out this new trilogy rather quickly. Now I'm all for big-scale ambition, but I'm not sure if BTTF 2 - style meddling is a good idea.

Could be great, could be disastrous. The tagline is "In order save the future, he must first rewrite the past"
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That being said, I wish Matt Smith all the success possible, he's a great actor imo.

I agree with you...T2 is nothing more than a big budget action movie set in the Terminator universe and really adds nothing to the story, yes its a fun film, but nothing more than that. Very similar in many ways to that of the Alien franchise, the first one been good enough on it's own, with no need for any sequels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I agree with you...T2 is nothing more than a big budget action movie set in the Terminator universe and really adds nothing to the story, yes its a fun film, but nothing more than that. Very similar in many ways to that of the Alien franchise, the first one been good enough on it's own, with no need for any sequels.

Aliens is the perfect sequel though, in that it takes the premise of the original, and expands it, explores it and takes it in a new direction, whilst maintaining the lore set down in the first film.

T2 fell down for me because the script was nowhere near as lean and clever, and it broke its own rules. I kind of buy the (albeit fantastical) notion of being able to send the T-800 through time as long as the endoskeleton is surrounded by living tissue (nothing dead will go) but the T-1000 had no living tissue, as it was a pure poly-alloy.