Options

London Live - The clue's in the name

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
Forum Member
✭✭
There's a big fire in Camden tonight, in one of its big and famous markets. It's been going for several hours, with six fire engines at the scene so far and police cordoning off the area.

No surprise therefore that London Live haven't mentioned it once, and are instead showing old Channel 4 repeats.

I'm sure someone will get around to mentioning it at some point tomorrow when the story's become the BBC's chip paper, ITN and Channel 4's reporters have already gone home after reporting live from the scene and hundreds of calls to phone-in radio shows have been aired. So what's the point of this station?

I'm sure most people would complain if BBC1 spent too much time reporting such a local story, so isn't this exactly what London Live is for - especially when something like this could be a big scoop for a new shoe string channel needing to make a name for itself? Unless it's permanently financially propped up by someone with money they desperately need to throw away, I can't see it being around for long.

Similar to BBC3, perhaps it will end up as just a website containing glorified blogs along with lots of embedded YouTube clips they've filmed on their iPhones.

Comments

• Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very likely that at this time of day London Live won't have any staff working, but really they should be prepared to cover events like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50,000 an hour for a so far, fairly shit channel
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were still in the days of the IBA it would have had its franchise taken away by now
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on their godawful Breakfast show this morning - When the fire was nothing but cinders. But don`t worry, they had some phone footage from a member of the public!

Their schedule is clearly locked no matter what happens. Aliens could land in High Street Ken, just outside their offices but they`d still stay with repeats of Peep Show `cos they need the ad money! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    There's a big fire in Camden tonight, in one of its big and famous markets. It's been going for several hours, with six fire engines at the scene so far and police cordoning off the area.

No surprise therefore that London Live haven't mentioned it once, and are instead showing old Channel 4 repeats.

I'm sure someone will get around to mentioning it at some point tomorrow when the story's become the BBC's chip paper, ITN and Channel 4's reporters have already gone home after reporting live from the scene and hundreds of calls to phone-in radio shows have been aired. So what's the point of this station?

I'm sure most people would complain if BBC1 spent too much time reporting such a local story, so isn't this exactly what London Live is for - especially when something like this could be a big scoop for a new shoe string channel needing to make a name for itself? Unless it's permanently financially propped up by someone with money they desperately need to throw away, I can't see it being around for long.

Similar to BBC3, perhaps it will end up as just a website containing glorified blogs along with lots of embedded YouTube clips they've filmed on their iPhones.

Yes I agree, by and large London Live has been something of a disappointment, that's not to say it has been all bad. Vanessa Bafoe on Wake Up London is a delight and hopefully she will get a bigger role soon, Marc Edwards has good charisma and bags of enthusiasm and energy.

Unfortunately it seems that they are sticking to their guns with the format, despite it being obvious to all that it needs to change and needs to change now, if the station has any chance of survival. Sadly it seems that their Chief Exec is already resigned to the fact that linear wise it will fail and has gone into defensive mode, instead of acknowledging and taking the criticism on board, much of it constructive and useful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnyad wrote: »
    Vanessa Bafoe on Wake Up London is a delight and hopefully she will get a bigger role soon.....

Can I have some of what you`re smoking please?!?!?!

She is appalling in a role that requires her to be about two thirds of the entire breakfast show output, such is the paucity of actual content in this ongoing shambles of a programme. She looks about 3 feet tall next to that aesthetically dull and dreary screen/laptop combo, has bizarre pronunciation and her entire job seems to be stretching for the tabs at the top of the screen and rote-reading out whatever woefully inadequate line or two lines of info comes up.

Considering WUL consists mainly of traffic/weather updates over anything else you`d think they`d take the time and trouble to at least make that segment look and sound pleasant but it`s a ****ing mess on all levels.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are 'LL' doing a live programme on Thursday/Friday to cover the local LONDON election results?:confused: I hope Dimbleby and co are ready for some serious competition! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Can I have some of what you`re smoking please?!?!?!

She is appalling in a role that requires her to be about two thirds of the entire breakfast show output, such is the paucity of actual content in this ongoing shambles of a programme. She looks about 3 feet tall next to that aesthetically dull and dreary screen/laptop combo, has bizarre pronunciation and her entire job seems to be stretching for the tabs at the top of the screen and rote-reading out whatever woefully inadequate line or two lines of info comes up.

Considering WUL consists mainly of traffic/weather updates over anything else you`d think they`d take the time and trouble to at least make that segment look and sound pleasant but it`s a ****ing mess on all levels.

Harsh man!
  • Options
    dallardicedallardice Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    Are 'LL' doing a live programme on Thursday/Friday to cover the local LONDON election results?:confused: I hope Dimbleby and co are ready for some serious competition! :cool:

There is no sign of any change to London Live's regular schedules on Thursday or Friday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what they would have done during the Olympics, royal wedding or royal birth?

Or even Thatcher's funeral, storms/floods, 7/7 or public transport strikes?

Maybe someone should do a sweepstake for which episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace they'll be showing as the winner crosses the line during next year's London Marathon?

Assuming they're still on air by then. Sadly, I think even Good Morning Britain and Susanna Reid's contract will outlive it.
  • Options
    WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe someone should do a sweepstake for which episode of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace they'll be showing as the winner crosses the line during next year's London Marathon?

Well they haven't got the rights to show the Marathon for a start.

There's quite a lot wrong with London Live. It should cover news and particularly live, breaking news a lot better than it does. It should have a late bulletin and time will tell how well it will cover major events as they unfold.

But

Londoners deserve better, should want it to do well and wake up the mainstream, ITV London in particular. Charlene White handed over to Martin Stew for the pre-recorded weather on the latter last night and the poor fella had uttered six words before she had to interrupt and bring the bulletin to a close. On LL's launch night seven weeks ago, ITV London gave us ten minutes in its main bulletin on potholes.

Wake up London is the beginnings of a breath of fresh air and tries original ideas (e.g. City in sixty). It is the best of the day's news offerings.

Soho Blues last night was no worse than any other hour-with-the-emergency-services-filler on a mainsteam channel.

Funny Rotten Scoundrels and Food Junkies especially are good, original programmes. I missed Misfits first time round and am extremely glad I haven't missed an episode since LL launched. Providing London's Burning in daytime is a master stroke.

The Platform Eight strand on a Sunday offers some well produced and well executed documentaries, each followed up with an interesting hour-long debate.

I think that, while not perfect, LL has much to commend it and I conclude this case for the defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winger wrote: »
    Wake up London is the beginnings of a breath of fresh air and tries original ideas (e.g. City in sixty). It is the best of the day's news offerings.

This is the dross that airs between 6 and 9 weekdays? That is "the best of the day's news offerings" is it? God help them......

Every day I flick over to WUL and am always surprised it`s still on-air, it`s that bad especially when that pen-twiddling **** in the v-neck is fronting it. He clings onto his biro more tenaciously than Linus does his blanket.

Funny Rotten Scoundrels is very good though. I`ll give them that much.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If LL does not make an effort tomorrow to cover the London Election results, I think any hope for it will have gone. Surely then as the licensing organization, OFCOM will have to get involved and remind LL's owners what the purpose of the station is!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido has today:

London Live Sole Viewer Revealed

:):):)
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    Top 10 for w/e 8 June (courtesy of BARB) in 000s

1 SOHO BLUES (THU 2203) 33
    2 SMACK THE PONY (TUE 2131) 32
    3 DRAG QUEENS OF LONDON (THU 2301) 29
    4 SPACED (FRI 2400) 28
    5 SPOOKS: CODE 9 (SUN 2201) 25
    6 SPACED (THU 2400) 24
    7 MISFITS (FRI 2200) 24
    8 SMACK THE PONY (TUE 2101) 20
    9 DRAG QUEENS OF LONDON (TUE 2203) 19
    10 SMACK THE PONY (WED 2132) 14
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Top 10 for w/e 8 June (courtesy of BARB) in 000s

1 SOHO BLUES (THU 2203) 33
    2 SMACK THE PONY (TUE 2131) 32
    3 DRAG QUEENS OF LONDON (THU 2301) 29
    4 SPACED (FRI 2400) 28
    5 SPOOKS: CODE 9 (SUN 2201) 25
    6 SPACED (THU 2400) 24
    7 MISFITS (FRI 2200) 24
    8 SMACK THE PONY (TUE 2101) 20
    9 DRAG QUEENS OF LONDON (TUE 2203) 19
    10 SMACK THE PONY (WED 2132) 14

So there's 9.1 million that could be watching this channel according to this article:
    http://www.standard.co.uk/londonlive/london-live-a-whole-new-ball-game-for-tv-in-the-capital-9165931.html

Which means it's top show (33,000 viewers- Soho Blues- Thursday 22:00) took
    0.36% of available audience.

Alibi+1s top rated show this week was Castle at 66,000. This channel is available to around 14million pay tv subscribers.

This was the same night as London Live just an hour later, it penetrated 0.47% of it's audience.

What I'm saying here is that London Live is doing worse than a +1 repeat of a repeat.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido's article links to another with some figures like this from April
    On eight occasions, Wake Up London has broadcast for a full hour to no measurable audience – a Barb score of zero viewers.
    Not The One Show also scored its highest rating on launch night, with 20,900 viewers. Its lowest figure (on Easter Monday) was 200 viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    So local TV station London Live wants to cut the amount of local programming it shows. So wait. People aren't watching? I'm shocked! Jeremy Hunt we told you so!

"@Jake_Kanter: London Live wants to significantly reduce its commitment to local programming. Ofcom document reveals its plans: http://t.co/WFxGQbs6uZ

Compare the table on pages 6 and 7 with page 8.

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was never going to work.

And if London can't make it work, what hope is there for some of the other, much less populated and less metropolitan areas?

And to think that the Government got the BBC to fund some of it with LF money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »

And if London can't make it work, what hope is there for some of the other, much less populated and less metropolitan areas?

Everyone knew it was going to fail, except seemingly the government. They can't be that stupid, perhaps it was a strategic move to get the BBC to commit to more local content or some other end?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knew it was going to fail, except seemingly the government. They can't be that stupid, perhaps it was a strategic move to get the BBC to commit to more local content or some other end?

A variant of Hanlon's Razor:

"Don't ascribe to clever conspiracy what can be explained by stupidity"
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Apparently local TV is doing well in Norwich but I've not read anything that shows this.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full story on Guardian Media and a516 Digital.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not surprising. Local TV has been tried in various forms and has never been a success. There are still many more local channels to launch over the coming months. I wonder how many will still be on air in 2 years time?

Mr Hunt meanwhile continues to bury his head in the sand:
    Jeremy Hunt, who made local TV a central initiative of his tenure as culture secretary, last month hit back at critics of it, despite early low ratings.

“There is a great desire in the Westminster media world to write off ‘local yokel stations’,” he said.

“If New York can manage six local TV stations the idea that London cannot sustain one is bonkers, despite the desire of competitors to rubbish it.”

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/25/london-live-ofcom-slash-local-programming

What he hasn't realised is that the American system is massively different. The local channels are all linked to a bigger network like ABC or CBS, rather than trying to provide a 24/7 local service.