Options

Surely a united Ireland now makes sense?

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This ridiculous NI and Ireland situation surely now must be addressed and Ireland united as one country?

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    This ridiculous NI and Ireland situation surely now must be addressed and Ireland united as one country?

But do they want to be united?
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    It only makes sense if the people of Northern Ireland want it. If they don't things should stay as they are.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It made sense 100 years ago when LLoyd George and co fecked it up and gave in to extremist sectarian thugs
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst women are condemned to die of complications from miscarriage due to some seriously archaic laws in ROI, I think plenty would rather stay North of the border. Add in ROI's bailout repayments and I can't see NI fancying taking on the baggage/Euro/Catholicism issues.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

Makes about as much sense as all the countries of the British isles uniting together as one country.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see if NI would be financially better off or not if Ireland became whole again.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    What do you mean the "ridiculous" situation and how does it make sense??

Look, the NI people (nationalists included) want to remain in the UK for economic reasons most of all (NHS, Welfare etc). The ROI people want NI to remain in the UK for economic reasons (those reasons being that they really really don't want to have to pay an extra £10 billion a year to support us).

So what is the problem? There is no "situation". The current situation works for everyone.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Whilst women are condemned to die of complications from miscarriage due to some seriously archaic laws in ROI, I think plenty would rather stay North of the border.

Not familiar with abortion laws in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Whilst women are condemned to die of complications from miscarriage due to some seriously archaic laws in ROI, I think plenty would rather stay North of the border. Add in ROI's bailout repayments and I can't see NI fancying taking on the baggage/Euro/Catholicism issues.

Did NI adopt the 1967 abortion act while I wasn't looking?
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Northern Ireland is a whole different ball game. Scotland doesn't have such segregation.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like things the way they are now, if I wanted to be Irish I would move to Ireland.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do some English people (or anyone outside Ireland really) have an obsession with a united Ireland? We keep getting these threads once a month or so. I expect to see at least 4 more of these before the end of 2014. All these threads do is ensure engage in a bit of whataboutery, and helps whip up anti-Irish sentiment.

Personally I would rather see an improvement in relations with protestant and catholics. Currently 95% of our schools segregated (protestants and catholics going to different schools) and only 10% of marriages are mixed. There are more peacewalls now in place in Belfast than there were in 1998, when the good Friday agreement was signed.

For a western democracy those statistics are shocking and before any constitutional referendum takes place I would like to see an end to the division and sectarian nature of this country. If its a divided sectarian society in the UK, it will still be a divided sectarian society in a united Ireland, what difference does it make and why do our selfish politicians choose to ignore this?
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it doesn't. The majority still want to be part of the UK and any movement towards a United Ireland would likely ignite violence.
    Some communities here still deeply hate other communities. There may not be much violence any more, but there is still resentment and hatred bubbling beneath the surface.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will never happen, and that's probably for the best.

Economically the Republic is in the crapper, and a united Ireland would make things worse.

I can only imagine what the people of NI would say when the idea of Dublin being their capital comes up. ;-) :D
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not familiar with abortion laws in Northern Ireland?

I meant the Savita Halappanavar case, rather than anything wider. NI law gives permission where a woman's life is in serious danger, whereas Savita was denied an abortion of an unviable foetus because it had a heartbeat. This led to a new act being published and passed in ROI but already there have been cases of women in serious danger being turned down under it. Around 300 abortions were carried out in NI last year until the "serious risk to the mother" criteria.

I agree that it is hardly any better, but I'd rather seek an emergency termination to save my own life in NI than ROI.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Ireland is bankrupt they couldn't afford to take on Northern Ireland even if they wanted to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    NI should be kicked out of the United Kingdom and either be forced to go it alone or unite with the Republic of Ireland. The Northern Irish want all of the financial benefits of being part of the UK, but don't want to conform to the progressive and tolerant values that the other UK countries have, such as giving equal rights and protections to couples of the same gender.

Time to say, "Enough is enough".
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

You can't do that, as the ROI wouldn't be able to sponge off the EU any more and would actually have to pay in as much as it receives, unlike the UK (we must have suckers printed on our foreheads) and Germany.

Which begs the question, why is the UK in the EU when in general it gets shafted royally.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NI should be kicked out of the United Kingdom and either be forced to go it alone or unite with the Republic of Ireland. The Northern Irish want all of the financial benefits of being part of the UK, but don't want to conform to the progressive and tolerant values that the other UK countries have, such as giving equal rights and protections to couples of the same gender.

Time to say, "Enough is enough".

Sorry Northern Ireland doesn't want to conform or the old dinosaurs that are in Stormont don't? I think you'll find plenty of the NI people want equal rights for same sex couples
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you want to start all this nonsense again, I don't know how old you but if you have lived through the 70's and 80's why would you want to drag all this up again.

You want bombings to start again and people killed, just leave it alone as it is and stop meddling.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Sorry Northern Ireland doesn't want to conform or the old dinosaurs that are in Stormont don't? I think you'll find plenty of the NI people want equal rights for same sex couples

Indeed. Plenty of people here are pro equal rights. It's just the idiots in Stormont who aren't and people keep voting for them because they're scared that if they don't then either Sinn Fein will end up with a majority or Sinn Fein will end up with too few supporters depending on what "side" you're on.

I'd rather this petty tribal politics was abandoned, but it's never realistically going to happen.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    But do they want to be united?

No. And that's that tbh.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we can do a deal with N.I., If they take back all the Irish Catholics that came to Scotland can we have back all the loyal Protestants that we sent to Ireland ?

Job done.
  • Options
    openarmsopenarms Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The numbers tell a different story.

A comprehensive poll was taken during the height of the Belfast City Hall flag protests.

Despite a lot of disruption caused by loyalists blocking arterial routes in and around Belfast at that time the majority of Catholics wanted to remain in the UK.

An overall majority of three to one across the population as a whole if I remember right.

Those who identify as Catholic by upbringing will outnumber Protestants by 2016/2017.

If you think they are going to turn about face and declare a wish for a united Ireland you need to have a word with yourself!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is a whole different ball game. Scotland doesn't have such segregation.

Yep. Nothing more to be said really.