Options

iOS 10 Beta(s)

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is anyone actually using it day to day ?

I want to give it a go, but I'm interested to see if anyone has already tried it. I fully understand it's the first beta and that there could be issues across the board, but i don't mind that as it stands.

I was just watching a video on YouTube that shows that "deleting" the stock apps doesn't actually delete them, it just "hides" them.

The guy deleted maps and went to the app store to re-download it and it grabbed it in literally less than a second when he'd disabled his internet access on the phone, so it proves it was just hidden rather than actually gone all together.

Comments

• Options
    Broken HopeBroken Hope Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm running it on my iPad Pro, it's fairly stable but I'll likely wait until the public beta before putting it on my main phone, hopefully by then its had at least 1-2 updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, fair point. I suppose it's possible as well that you'd have to essentially uninstall this version to install the public beta as well.

But then this version might be the one that gets the updates first as well.

I'm probably still going to try it, but my backups and iCloud backups are taking forever at the moment :)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't want to be trying early betas on a device unless you're happy if it gets totally screwed up and you lose some data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You don't want to be trying early betas on a device unless you're happy if it gets totally screwed up and you lose some data.

I won't be losing any data as i'm backing it up. I've got backups of all my pictures and videos already, but i'm being doubly careful by backing them up to iCloud as well which is taking ages otherwise i'd have done the beta by now.

As far as the other backups go, I'll do an offline backup and then copy it to another, seperate, folder to keep it safe and i'll be happy to continue.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I put it on my phone and iPad briefly but downgraded back to 9.x pretty soon after. Mail crashes and skygo not working were the main reasons I downgraded

I would hang fire until beta 3/4 or the public beta
  • Options
    georgi_prodanovgeorgi_prodanov Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    I put it on my phone and iPad briefly but downgraded back to 9.x pretty soon after. Mail crashes and skygo not working were the main reasons I downgraded

I would hang fire until beta 3/4 or the public beta

Is IOS10 beta available yet? I cant get it. On my phone it shows just 9.3.3 up to date
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is IOS10 beta available yet? I cant get it. On my phone it shows just 9.3.3 up to date

Watch this - it should tell you how to install it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgoSZloCDH8

I've been reading the list of reported bugs and most of them won't actually cause me that many problems

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-beta-1-bug-fixes-changes-and-performance-improvements.1977132/

But hey, I'm realistic enough to know it's a beta. I'm all backed up so i really don't mind just going back to 9.3.2 if need be. It appears you can flash back to 9.3.2 by just downloading the IPSW file and hitting Shift+Update in iTunes as well so it's very easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's installed and i'm using it now on my 6s. Had a brief scare when my content blocker didn't seem to be working for DS but i just turned it off and on again and it seems to be working fine now.

I'll probably leave it installed for the weekend and decide on monday if i want to keep it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must say, I'm quite impressed with this so far. I'm probably not what they call a "power user" of my phone, so I guess some of the more buggy features won't really affect me but I certainly like the new notification widgets for one thing.

The new music app is good as well, although rather bizarrely, they've once again left off the option to "Shuffle All" from the main library as they did the last time i tried an early beta release.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Must say, I'm quite impressed with this so far. I'm probably not what they call a "power user" of my phone, so I guess some of the more buggy features won't really affect me but I certainly like the new notification widgets for one thing.

The new music app is good as well, although rather bizarrely, they've once again left off the option to "Shuffle All" from the main library as they did the last time i tried an early beta release.

It does work well. Thanks for the link. Shame the raise to wake phone function doesn't work on the iPhone 6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does work well. Thanks for the link. Shame the raise to wake phone function doesn't work on the iPhone 6.

It worked on my 6s, but it did seem a little overly sensitive so i've disabled it for now.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It worked on my 6s, but it did seem a little overly sensitive so i've disabled it for now.

It only works with the A9 chip and higher apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It only works with the A9 chip and higher apparently.

Aha, ok.

I've only really had one problem so far when I accidentally did a double press on a song in the music app. It hung and when i killed it and re-loaded it, all the songs were coming back as static so i rebooted the phone and everything was fine.

At this rate, i can see me keeping it on the phone full time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What exactly is the link to download IOS 10 beta as can not see it on youtube. Also is there a risk for the phone after installing the ios10 beta
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when you press on the link it says account disabled
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    What exactly is the link to download IOS 10 beta as can not see it on youtube. Also is there a risk for the phone after installing the ios10 beta

In the description follow one of the links next to iOS 10 profile download.
    Once you touch the link you'll be taken to profiles in settings to install the profile, once you install the next time you select Software Update it will download the iOS 10 beta.
  • Options
    philt74philt74 Posts: 163
    Forum Member

If you don't understand the risks then it's best not to install it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    philt74 wrote: »

Completely agree.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try this link:

https://developer.apple.com/support/compare-memberships/

It's $99 a year to sign up as a developer which will give you access to the betas.

Yes, there is a risk with beta software.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Public beta in July:

http://beta.apple.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philt74 wrote: »
    no i meant is it illegal to download and install the ios10 beta for developers? I went on to link from(macrumors) a forum and installed the profile and then downloaded ios10 and installed it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no i meant is it illegal to download and install the ios10 beta for developers? I went on to link from(macrumors) a forum and installed the profile and then downloaded ios10 and installed it?

if you're not a registered apple developer then i suppose technically it's not 'legal' but the most apple would likely do is unsign it so you'd have to restore your phone back to the last proper iOS version.
  • Options
    GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Is anyone actually using it day to day ?

I want to give it a go, but I'm interested to see if anyone has already tried it. I fully understand it's the first beta and that there could be issues across the board, but i don't mind that as it stands.

I was just watching a video on YouTube that shows that "deleting" the stock apps doesn't actually delete them, it just "hides" them.

The guy deleted maps and went to the app store to re-download it and it grabbed it in literally less than a second when he'd disabled his internet access on the phone, so it proves it was just hidden rather than actually gone all together.

I'm using iOS 10 beta on my daily device, iPhone 6.

I've deleted Stocks, Tips, Videos, Compass to name a few and none seem hidden to me. If they are hidden then they're hidden well as I've not seen them since I installed the beta after WWDC and I have all my icons & folders on 1 page.

As they stated at WWDC any of the default Apple apps that are removed are available to reinstall via the app store.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grayburn wrote: »
    I'm using iOS 10 beta on my daily device, iPhone 6.

I've deleted Stocks, Tips, Videos, Compass to name a few and none seem hidden to me. If they are hidden then they're hidden well as I've not seen them since I installed the beta after WWDC and I have all my icons & folders on 1 page.

As they stated at WWDC any of the default Apple apps that are removed are available to reinstall via the app store.

Search for one of the stock apps you've removed in the app store and then turn on airplane mode. go back to the app store and tap the cloud symbol to "download" it. it'll be instantly restored to your phone even with no internet or any form of data connection because it's still there - it's just been "hidden"

anyway, i don't seem to be getting any vibration alerts for texts when i switch to vibration mode so i might have to reconsider things overall.