Software update FAQ

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    This is true, exactly what happened to me!
    You can't "hoard things" hidden away on the box any more, you have to keep them in the "All" tab now I'm afraid.
    :(
  • pad-epad-e Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they will ever update the EPG to use channel logos instead of names? Their own online TV Guide does it, and it would look nice too. The logos for the OD services show up when you select them, along with an EPG colour change, so it shouldn't be that hard to implement?
  • ANDYW_9ANDYW_9 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    My TV screen has now gone black, My Sky Q Silver box is now installing Q002 Update ready for Ultra HD launch in August. 😁
  • Dave_DublinDave_Dublin Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    "Other Channels" now available to watch on the Sky Q mini boxes

The software update this morning enabled them
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    You can't "hoard things" hidden away on the box any more, you have to keep them in the "All" tab now I'm afraid.

Did i read it auto deletes 60 days after you have deleted it?

So maybe once a month, you can re-add stuff you might want to keep, and then delete it again (unless it goes from the first deletion date)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Did i read it auto deletes 60 days after you have deleted it?

So maybe once a month, you can re-add stuff you might want to keep, and then delete it again (unless it goes from the first deletion date)

If you press i on each deleted content listed in the delete folder it will show the specified deletion date for each individual recorded/downloaded/on demand/catch up item.
    So each item will get deleted individually on their specified date.
    Some will have different deletion dates like bbc iplayer content will only have 30 days before deletion, but recordings will be 60 days.

So if you delete a recording today, it will be flagged for deletion on Sept 19th.
    If you deleted a recording yesterday, it will be flagged for deletion on Sept 18th
    For BBC iplayer content it will be August 18th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    If you press i on each deleted content listed in the delete folder it will show the specified deletion date for each individual recorded/downloaded/on demand/catch up item.
    So each item will get deleted individually on their specified date.
    Some will have different deletion dates like bbc iplayer content will only have 30 days before deletion, but recordings will be 60 days.

So if you delete a recording today, it will be flagged for deletion on Sept 19th.
    If you deleted a recording yesterday, it will be flagged for deletion on Sept 18th
    For BBC iplayer content it will be August 18th

Yes, I understand all that, what I was saying was, what happens if you undelete something, and then re-delete it, does it keep the original deletion date, or give you a new one.

If it's the latter, it would be a round about way for people to keep their deleted recordings a little longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yes, I understand all that, what I was saying was, what happens if you undelete something, and then re-delete it, does it keep the original deletion date, or give you a new one.

If it's the latter, it would be a round about way for people to keep their deleted recordings a little longer.

Ok, just tried it for you.
    For a recording that had Sept 18th, restored it, played and deleted and its now Sept 19th
    For a bbc iplayer on demand that I restored the date remained the same.
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    pad-e wrote: »
    I wonder if they will ever update the EPG to use channel logos instead of names? Their own online TV Guide does it, and it would look nice too. The logos for the OD services show up when you select them, along with an EPG colour change, so it shouldn't be that hard to implement?

I like that idea, the Sky app for ipad does that also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Ok, just tried it for you.
    For a recording that had Sept 18th, restored it, played and deleted and its now Sept 19th
    For a bbc iplayer on demand that I restored the date remained the same.

I wouldn't expect BBC iPlayer stuff to change date (as it has it's own deletion date set in stone), but good to know that if you really want to keep something in your deleted tab (that has no auto deletion date as normal), you can do so with a bit of jiggery pokery.
  • ACCESSTIMEACCESSTIME Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    "Other Channels" now available to watch on the Sky Q mini boxes

The software update this morning enabled them

What other channels?
    Not sure what you mean!
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACCESSTIME wrote: »
    What other channels?
    Not sure what you mean!

Hi

This is where u can manualy add other channels, like u can do on Sky+ HD.

Baz
  • KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the update has anyone had the sound cutting out every so often?
    Just for a second about twice every 30 minutes.
  • allybalderallybalder Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Sky q - went to settings - system info - updated software -then to standby to complete installation
  • No-OneNo-One Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the Sky+HD update still rolling out? I've not seen any mention of it for a few weeks now. Both our boxes have been on channel 998 a few mornings but no update yet
  • spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Anyone else experiencing a cut out of Sky for say about 5/7 seconds lately, screen just goes black for said time, it's happen 3/4 times tonight, only just started to happen, so might be a one off, only never experienced anything like this before, on one occasion it happen when the picture came back the colours were different :confused:

I'm on the latest software.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    No-One wrote: »
    Is the Sky+HD update still rolling out? I've not seen any mention of it for a few weeks now. Both our boxes have been on channel 998 a few mornings but no update yet

We have two Sky+ HD boxes (a DRX 890 and a DRX 890W) and neither have been updated yet.

I believe the roll out of R014 is still ongoing though and in batches so we'll get it in due course!
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got the update this morning(wednesday) so theyre still doing them.
  • TomM44TomM44 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I got mine yesterday morning (Wed) and am pleased with. It took me a while but I eventually found Planner Rebuild under Help and without a sequence of hidden clicks. After a first test they may have at last solved the problem when pausing/stopping/going back to radio recordings.
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »

Yes, I've just discovered that too.

With no warning I awoke to find a new EPG and the majority of my hoard of "watched-but-like-to-keep" stuff which I had stashed in the deleted folder now gone. :(

So it's effectively a removal of the undelete function (inasmuch as you can't undelete stuff "indefinitely").

And what is the gain of this new "feature" ?!?

As before its introduction, we KNOW that the files are still there (just marked as deleted b the o/s). It does not, in any real sense, "free up" HDD space. Previously the oldest deleted files would get overwritten when space was needed - I was OK with that.

I've now "lost" a lot of recordings (even though I know that they are still there :o) and I no longer have a "personal folder" to manage and keep stuff in. :(
    Forum Member
    Well to be fair, as was pointed out to me very forcibly when I groused about it, the deleted tab was never intended to be used as a semi-permanent store.
    Like you, I had assumed however that as long as I had a lot of free space on my drive, the items in it would never be deleted permanently automatically, and I could hide stuff away there which I could undelete and watch again if I wanted to in the future.
    However there were box stability problems being reported by some people, which supposedly went away if the deleted items were emptied.
    Why this should have been I have no idea, and if having a lot of deleted items compromised the box stability it didn't say very much for the software design IMO, but I guess Sky decided to take the easier way out and have deleted items permanently delete after a fixed time, even if there was still a lot of disk space available.
    Annoying, but there you are!
    For future reference, you can now undelete an item and delete it again immediately, which will reset its expiration counter, but you have to remember to do it of course!
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an ideal world ...

Wouldn't it be nice if one could set up new tabs in which to store recorded programmes ? You could set up one for each family member. Perhaps you could even password protect them.

In a future "Q" world surely it would make sense for several people sharing one box to be able browse their own recordings separately ?
    Forum Member
    It would make perfect sense, and I'd be surprised if Sky aren't working towards that for SkyQ, but I'm pretty sure we'll never see it on Sky+ sadly.
  • GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @KOP1975

Just saw your post, I get sound cut out but blamed my kit, I only watch footie. I use a pace box. HD.

I'll watch for it more closely for a while.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new software is available as a forced download now if you have not yet automatically received it ( like my boxes) all forced up to date now :-)