The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    It was a surprisingly lengthy and elaborate plan just to get into his office.
    I was expecting him to say he'd had the 'snip' and couldn't be the father, but yes, what a way to get into the office.

And am I the only one who thinks Pastor Tim....looks like one of Phil's bad disguise's.:o
  • marios mummarios mum Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    I was expecting him to say he'd had the 'snip' and couldn't be the father, but yes, what a way to get into the office.

And am I the only one who thinks Pastor Tim....looks like one of Phil's bad disguise's.:o

No, you're not the only one, I actually thought it was him in disguise in one episode :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    So how is Liz going to blackmail Don? She would need photos of him naked in her bed, we did not see her take any photos, maybe she did & we are to just assume that photos exist - however it would have been handy to see her with a camera.:confused:

I didn't realise that Phil was still involved with the daughter of the CIA guy.

That was a bit selfish of Pastor Tim to bugger off to Ethiopia when his wife is about to give birth.
    marios mum wrote: »
    No, you're not the only one, I actually thought it was him in disguise in one episode :D

The actor who plays Pastor Tim was in Billions but was bald so it took a while to recognise him, the actor who plays Stan Beeman in The Americans was in it for a couple of episodes too and the actress who plays Stan's ex wife was in it for pretty much all of them.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The writers missed a gem there! Mind you I really was expecting him to ask how she knew he was the father - or maybe he's too polite to insinuate she's a ****.....
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is set in the early 80s after all...

What exactly was the KGB's plan with Gaad? What value was he as a retired agent?
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long before Henry blabbers to Matthew about the mugging, and he tells his father, and he puts 2 and 2 together? I mean, surely the body must have been found by now?

I don't know if this type of crime is passed onto the FBI, but if they are, it won't take long for Stan to become suspicious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    How long before Henry blabbers to Matthew about the mugging, and he tells his father, and he puts 2 and 2 together? I mean, surely the body must have been found by now?

I don't know if this type of crime is passed onto the FBI, but if they are, it won't take long for Stan to become suspicious.

The guy that Liz killed in the latest episode (hurrah, at last Liz has killed someone that actually deserved it) is almost certainly known to the police as a 'wrongun' & I doubt if the police would spend too much time investigating his death, and of course this was pre DNA. I very much doubt that the FBI bother with deaths of people like him - a job for the local force. Henry doesn't know that his mum killed the 'mugger' (actually I think it's clear he intended to rape Paige, so she could show a bit more gratitude to her mum).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did Stan & his colleagues identify William 'simply' by trawling through the records of all employees of Porton Down type establishments looking for names that were identical to dead children who've been dead a long time?:confused:
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    So did Stan & his colleagues identify William 'simply' by trawling through the records of all employees of Porton Down type establishments looking for names that were identical to dead children who've been dead a long time?:confused:
    They narrowed down the search by only looking at senior scientists or researchers with access to Level 4 biohazards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG - how am I going to wait a whole week to find out what happens? It's riveting!
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    OMG - how am I going to wait a whole week to find out what happens? It's riveting!

Was that not that the season finale :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Was that not that the season finale :confused:

OMG no, I just checked the Sky TV Guide & you're right, I did say to OH whilst watching that it had a season finale feel to it, so I'm going to have to wait about 8 months - aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!:o>:(

It was surprising to me that Gabriel gave Phil & Liz the choice of whether to stay or leave - I would've though that 'The Centre' would have ordered them one way or the other. Looking at the poverty & restrictiveness in which Phil's older son & his grandfather lived in - can you imagine Paige & Henry living like that.....???:o

I was eating my dinner whilst William was in his hospital bed.....
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    When Stan finds out who Pretty & Lucky are.:o

Great end to the best season, so far......births deaths and an expulsion, gripping stuff.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Season 3, interesting that Amazon Prime is showing it in the U.S. I wonder why.

What do you mean? Season 3 of The Americans is also currently available on Amazon Prime in the UK...
    The actor who plays Pastor Tim was in Billions but was bald so it took a while to recognise him, the actor who plays Stan Beeman in The Americans was in it for a couple of episodes too and the actress who plays Stan's ex wife was in it for pretty much all of them.

I also watched ‘Billions’. I obviously recognised Stan, but didn’t recognise his ex-wife or Pastor Tim – so much so that I just had to look up who they were in ‘Billions’. Not recognising his ex-wife if maybe understandable (she hasn’t been in The Americans much this season), but not recognising Pastor Tim is quite funny given he played a fairly major character in both programmes!
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will series 5 get to UK next year?

It has been commissioned with series 6 afaik
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope so! Otherwise I will be purchasing the DVD again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

It will probably be on ITV Encore again if it does get to the UK.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    It will probably be on ITV Encore again if it does get to the UK.

There is an interview on TVWise with the ITV acquisitions manager discussing buying S3&4 for ITV Encore. She came across as a massive fan of the show so hopeful if she is still there they will buy S5&6.

Said that it did not work out on ITV(1) which was not a surprise given the crap late Saturday slot, and too much of a quality show for that's channel audience, but it was only on ITV Encore with subscription money that the economics worked. After they bought the US Broadchurch which rated okay she could then justify The Americans as another US import.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the consensus on this series? Even though its head and shoulders above most dramas, for me it was one of the weaker series. Though I can't put my finger on why - perhaps not enough espionage?
  • Laughing FairyLaughing Fairy Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Whats the consensus on this series? Even though its head and shoulders above most dramas, for me it was one of the weaker series. Though I can't put my finger on why - perhaps not enough espionage?

I think it's because a lot of the focus has shifted around dealing with the teenage daughter's knowledge of their work and keeping the Pastor at bay and under control. Paige is now centre stage.

I suppose her finding out had to happen at some point but a pity it wasn't until another series. I slightly resent it has taken over the show's direction and I wish they could've played it down. Nothing against the actress or the character (nowhere as bad as Dana Brody on Homeland). It's still a great series with good performances from all of them. Very interesting to see what evolves next season, but I suspect it will involve more Paige and it looks like she's naturally preparing herself to step into the job too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »

The whole thing is the best thing on TV ever IMO.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thing is the best thing on TV ever IMO.

It's a shame that it's so good but no longer on FTA. I guess we get what we pay for.:(
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    It's a shame that it's so good but no longer on FTA. I guess we get what we pay for.:(

It is a shame and in some ways it is similar to Breaking Bad, in that it couldn't be shown in peak-time (at least not straight after the watershed) and its late slot meant low viewing figures.

As I have Encore I'm fine and it's a never-miss show for me. It will leave a large hole in my "schedule" but fingers crossed for the next series.:)
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    CRTHD wrote: »
    It is a shame and in some ways it is similar to Breaking Bad, in that it couldn't be shown in peak-time (at least not straight after the watershed) and its late slot meant low viewing figures.

As I have Encore I'm fine and it's a never-miss show for me. It will leave a large hole in my "schedule" but fingers crossed for the next series.:)

It's a no-miss for me too. I am addicted to the show and find it completely fascinating. I think a lot of the attraction for me is the era in which it is set which evokes a lot of memories from my formative late teenage years.

I am lucky I have Encore.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »

The problem is these niche but quality shows don't drive the audience you need for free TV these days. Only the highest rated mass produced procedurals seem to survive but even C5 is marginalising them out of the prime 9pm slot to later at night or on to 5USA.

The Americans failed on ITV but a 10:30pm or later on a Saturday night slot was a rubbish time. However the audience it would get does not justify earlier or a weeknight as it needs to be post 9pm watershed.

I guess it's similar to Masters of Sex which started on C4, got relegated to More4 because of poor viewing figures and then totally dropped with no other UK TV channel interested despite over a year of trying by Sony it's producer.

I do think these type of shows better fit the Neflix or Amazon streaming model.

With The Americans as I posted above at least it still has fans at ITV hence they finally bought S3&4 for ITVEncore. Hopefully they do the same for S5&6.