More Xbox One incompetence.

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    From Gaf
    First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Turns out the answer to this question is… complicated. It’s been an education for me as I’ve been looking into it.

There is no way that I could do justice to it in a post, so the marketing team is working on a chart that gives clarity on what locales, languages, and voice features are available in each country. Trying to write it down would be confusing. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation, but just to give clarity:

In November
    - We will launch in 13 geos
    - 10 of those geos will support some voice features
    - We support 8 languages

The 8 Languages at Launch are:
    1) English – US
    2) English – GB (WW)
    3) French
    4) Spanish – MX
    5) Spanish – ES
    6) Italian
    7) German
    8) Portuguese

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=79001409&postcount=520

The positive from this is that he said its launching in November in all 13 geos.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »

:confused:

Edit - So basically they still haven't fully completed the xboxone and localized it fully with the supposed release date in November.

I genuinely hope you guys who have pre-ordered and are looking forward to this machine get it in November.
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    It does seem l huge rush to me. I'm sure that this will go down in history as one of the worst managed releases of hardware.

It still doesnt top the Xbox 360 (RROD) or the ps3 (europe gets delayed by 5 months)....yet.

But anything could happen:(

jokerz wrote: »
    :confused:

Edit - So basically they still haven't fully completed the xboxone and localized it fully with the supposed release date in November.

I genuinely hope you guys who have pre-ordered and are looking forward to this machine get it in November.

I think its still on for November.My money would be on the 22nd.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I really wish MS had concentrated in making the Xbox One a games machine first and stopped all this Multi media, one stop shop nonsense. They could of then drip fed users the new stuff as it became available and made sure it worked. Just now it seems MS is trying to play catch up, by constantly dropping features. I don't buy their excuses surely they knew of these problems (or should of known) at E3.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly there was all of the always-online, DRM, no used games nonsense, with U-turns aplenty. They then postponed the launch in a number of countries, whilst deciding that Kinect was no longer mandatory although you still have to buy it. And now when it does launch, the Kinect speech recognition, which they claim is one of key features of the Xbox One ecosystem will only be available in 5 of those countries.

I get why they may have limited support for different languages but why restrict this by country rather than language. If I can speak to my Xbox 1 in the UK why cant I speak to it in another country :confused:
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I get why they may have limited support for different languages but why restrict this by country rather than language. If I can speak to my Xbox 1 in the UK why cant I speak to it in another country :confused:

I know it makes no sense they speak French, Italian, German and I think it's called Romano or something similar in Switzerland yet won't be getting a launch on day one because of localization issues. Surely it should be up to the purchaser what language they wish to speak to their Xbox in.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it makes no sense they speak French, Italian, German and I think it's called Romano or something similar in Switzerland yet won't be getting a launch on day one because of localization issues. Surely it should be up to the purchaser what language they wish to speak to their Xbox in.

Maybe it's an infrastructure thing? Perhaps Voice Commands is like Siri on iOS devices, and is handled via the cloud? The absence of readied local servers could be the reason for the delays.

Of course, that assumption opens a new can of worms where Voice Commands aren't available to ANYBODY without a constant online connection. If that is the case, then it's being kept on the quiet.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's an infrastructure thing? Perhaps Voice Commands is like Siri on iOS devices, and is handled via the cloud? The absence of readied local servers could be the reason for the delays.

Of course, that assumption opens a new can of worms where Voice Commands aren't available to ANYBODY without a constant online connection. If that is the case, then it's being kept on the quiet.

Player: 'Xbox on'
    Xbox: 'I'm Sorry. I cannot understand what you are saying since I am not connected to the Cloud. Would you like me to connect?'
    Player: Yes
    Xbox: 'I'm Sorry. I cannot understand what you are saying since I am not connected to the Cloud. Would you like me to connect?' :D
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to hear a Glasgow ned try the kinect. :D

"Here, kinect, gonny stick oan cod fir iz?"
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    I suspect that the DRM policy change resulted in a LOT of work being done - work which has delayed other stuff like localization.

Looking forward to November (or December) - if its a late November launch in the States then you can probably add another 2 weeks until the European launch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I don't think they can afford to not launch in November. So I hope they can get it out at the original launch window since both PS3 and Xbox 360 have been out for a while now. Their getting on a bit put it that way. But with GTA V on the way, they're still punching way above their weight.

Microsoft will more than likely support the regions they know kinect is going to work effectively and be fully functional in and were most of their services work simultaneously together and they will rigorously test it and get it to retail as soon as they possibly can for the rest of the regions.

Their is a lot of excitement for next gen so hopefully they don't miss their launch. Both sets of fans deserve new tech the sooner the better!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Also we haven't as of yet had confirmation as to what services (sky etc) will be supported in the UK yet.
    Do you care? If I wanted one to play games, I wouldn't want them to wait until TV services are finalised by releasing it. (Especially as I suspect Sky and VM won't want to play ball at all.)
    And no I;m def not buying an xbox one - I was keen on going xbox this time around but this launch nonsense, especially the home entertainment centre side of it, has completely put me off.
    So you don't even want the feature, but you're complaining that it's late?
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Do you care? If I wanted one to play games, I wouldn't want them to wait until TV services are finalised by releasing it. (Especially as I suspect Sky and VM won't want to play ball at all.)

So you don't even want the feature, but you're complaining that it's late?

No not complaining just asking the question - all part of the discussion of if the xboxone is indeed been launched before its all finalised.

Everyones entitled to their opinion and allowed to raise a question in a discussion whether it affects them or not. Thats what a discussion is about.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's well known that the Xbox One's HDD can't be upgraded, but will support external storage devices...... But not at launch.

Not a massive deal for all but the very biggest of digital downloaders, but even so it's yet another function that won't be ready in time.
    Forum Member
    500gb is more than enough for the first 6 months.

The ps4 doesn't support external drives at all, so its still an advantage that the Xbox one has over its competitors once it hits.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

The ps4 doesn't support external drives at all, so its still an advantage that the Xbox one has over its competitors once it hits.

What is your source for this? Considering the ps3 supports external hdd's the ps4 most certainly would.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member

But the PS4 does allow you to replace the internal drive with what ever size you desire. ;) People are warming up their 1TB drives ready asap.
    Forum Member
    Sorry i should have been more specific. You can't install games to ps4 external hardrives. I assume you will be able to use them for storing media still.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    What is your source for this? Considering the ps3 supports external hdd's the ps4 most certainly would.
    It does support external drives. It doesn't allow game installs to the external drive AFAIK
    Forum Member
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    But the PS4 does allow you to replace the internal drive with what ever size you desire. ;) People are warming up their 1TB drives ready asap.

Not really an external hardrive though is it? Im not sure how it will work but taking digital games to friends houses to play would be a lot easier with an external drive.
  • ickabodickabod Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just when things couldn't get any worse for the XB1 along come Microsofts PR dept & cause confusion on who exactly gets a free copy of FIFA 14 http://www.computerandvideogames.com/427411/mixed-messages-over-free-fifa-14-on-xbox-one/ ... Really want to buy XB1 for Forza 5 & Dead Rising 3 but can't help but wonder is the Day One hardware gonna be rushed without full testing (at least any bugs in the OS will be fixed via software updates)
    Forum Member
    Not really an external hardrive though is it? Im not sure how it will work but taking digital games to friends houses to play would be a lot easier with an external drive.

What advantage does ext hdd installs confer over an upgradeable int hdd drive. Music and media is understandable as you can bring that to a friends house and play it off the ext hdd but you cannot do this with games because of drm.
    Forum Member

Like **** are Microsoft going to allow this it will be paired to your console.
    Forum Member
    What advantage does ext hdd installs confer over an upgradeable int hdd drive. Music and media is understandable as you can bring that to a friends house and play it off the ext hdd but you cannot do this with games because of drm.

I could ask you the same question, what advantage does an internal upgradable drive have over an external one?
    Forum Member
    Like **** are Microsoft going to allow this it will be paired to your console.

I assumed the games would be paired with your gamer tag/account?