Options

Viagogo

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
Forum Member
How trustworthy is Viagogo? I was thinking of getting tickets off them.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone got any experience with Viagogo?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't use it, but I don't think I've heard anything bad about them in terms of purchasing (Apart from the prices)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why wouldn't you use it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I refuse to pay over face value for a ticket, I know not all of them are but the majority of who I want to see tend to be waay overpriced. I can see why people use them though. :)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,963
    Forum Member
    Ross4491 wrote: »
    How trustworthy is Viagogo? I was thinking of getting tickets off them.

They offer a ticket guarantee. They are perfectly safe to use, but often expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they are robbing b......s. they have swept up a load of the tickets for the recently announced farewell tour by wilko johnson(he has pancreatic cancer)and are selling them for up to £157.the tickets only cost £17.50 in the first place.disgraceful,taking advantage of it being the last chance to see wilko.they come out with a load of cobblers to justify the price they are charging.its legal robbery.luckily got my ticket from a proper source.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    they are robbing b......s. they have swept up a load of the tickets for the recently announced farewell tour by wilko johnson(he has pancreatic cancer)and are selling them for up to £157.the tickets only cost £17.50 in the first place.disgraceful,taking advantage of it being the last chance to see wilko.they come out with a load of cobblers to justify the price they are charging.its legal robbery.luckily got my ticket from a proper source.

How do you know it's them selling them and not just customers?
  • Options
    imarshimarsh Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    would you by from a tout? At the end of the day viagogo are just ticket touts, albeit with a couple more safeguards but remember a few things:

1. These companies buy direct from the promoters, don't believe the lies that they area a fan to fan sales site.

2. Old fashioned touts no longer have to risk getting moved on by security/police outside venues as they sell via companies such as viagogo.

3. the rise of viagogo and getmein has been far too rapid to be purely a product of genuine fans suddenly realising that they can't go to a gig that they made a lot of effort to get tickets for when the first went on sale.

4. viagogo etc are pricing genuine fans away from live music, which will eventually kill live music
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imarsh wrote: »
    would you by from a tout? At the end of the day viagogo are just ticket touts, albeit with a couple more safeguards but remember a few things:

1. These companies buy direct from the promoters, don't believe the lies that they area a fan to fan sales site.

2. Old fashioned touts no longer have to risk getting moved on by security/police outside venues as they sell via companies such as viagogo.

3. the rise of viagogo and getmein has been far too rapid to be purely a product of genuine fans suddenly realising that they can't go to a gig that they made a lot of effort to get tickets for when the first went on sale.

4. viagogo etc are pricing genuine fans away from live music, which will eventually kill live music

I have sold tickets on viagogo several times. I am not a tout and they were my tickets not Viagogo's. So you're wrong.

Kill live music? It's never been healthier.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Not used them myself but read a thread on another site not so long ago where people had not received tickets an a fair few were complaining about problems getting hold them to sort out the issue.

As for these type of companies I can't see what the big fuss is about. I recently got beyonce tickets but was the only person to get them out of ten people I know trying to get them. I get the impression that only about 5% of the tickets have ended up on the re sale market and whilst prices are high now suspect they will fall closer to the event.

Until supply for tickets meet demand then for me a least these sites offer some protection to those who can't be on a computer at the exact second on a certain day to secure tickets for the concert they want to go to.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I call them viascumscum. They are simple tout enablers. Shame on anyone that uses them.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    I call them viascumscum. They are simple tout enablers. Shame on anyone that uses them.

Don't be so ridiculous. There's many artists who when they tour it's literally impossible to get tickets to see them. Beyonce being an example. It's pretty obvious that Ticketmaster were either given hardly any tickets to sell, or else they sold loads to places like Viagogo which is done on a regular basis with tickets. Tickets being sold to third parties to then sell on is a big issue that needs to be stopped. However, limiting yourself to only purchasing tickets from the main seller (for example Ticketmaster) means there's a high chance you're going to miss out on the artists you want to go and see, especially if they're a big name such as Beyonce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »

So if you miss out on tickets to a show you should just forget it then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you think the price of the Beyonce tickets will come down? I need extra dates!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you think the price of the Beyonce tickets will come down? I need extra dates!

Maybe if you leave it until a few days before but maybe not. They might go even higher.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

waste of money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    loonattic wrote: »
    waste of money.

How insightful.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have sold tickets on viagogo several times. I am not a tout and they were my tickets not Viagogo's. So you're wrong.

Kill live music? It's never been healthier.

I'm assuming that you sold these tickets because after buying them you suddenly discovered that you were no longer to attend the event in question, or did you buy the tickets of the chance of being able to sell at a profit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't be so ridiculous. There's many artists who when they tour it's literally impossible to get tickets to see them. Beyonce being an example. It's pretty obvious that Ticketmaster were either given hardly any tickets to sell, or else they sold loads to places like Viagogo which is done on a regular basis with tickets. Tickets being sold to third parties to then sell on is a big issue that needs to be stopped. However, limiting yourself to only purchasing tickets from the main seller (for example Ticketmaster) means there's a high chance you're going to miss out on the artists you want to go and see, especially if they're a big name such as Beyonce.

The reason it's becoming increasingly difficult to get tickets for some events is because of sites like Viagogo and GetMeIn, they are part of the problem. How else would these sites have tickets minutes after the official agencies have sold out.

The way around this is original buyers id. for one person and up to 3 friends to be produced at the venue or no entry. Tickets bought as gifts are no problem as the recipient names can be provided at the time of purchase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that you sold these tickets because after buying them you suddenly discovered that you were no longer to attend the event in question, or did you buy the tickets of the chance of being able to sell at a profit?

The bit in my post that says 'i'm not a tout' is probably the giveaway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reason it's becoming increasingly difficult to get tickets for some events is because of sites like Viagogo and GetMeIn, they are part of the problem. How else would these sites have tickets minutes after the official agencies have sold out.

The way around this is original buyers id. for one person and up to 3 friends to be produced at the venue or no entry. Tickets bought as gifts are no problem as the recipient names can be provided at the time of purchase.

And what happens if your circumstances change and you can't go?
  • Options
    Forum Member

1. Learn how to organise your life better
    or
    2. Loose out, life can be tough, i.e. same as a non-refundable £700 airline ticket that a friend of mine can no longer use.
    or
    3. May-be venues should organise fan-to-fan exchange at face value +10% handling fee, that way you get your money back, someone else gets to see the gig/show, the venues costs are covered and most importantly no-one gets ripped off. This system works for the premier league so why not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1. Learn how to organise your life better
    or
    2. Loose out, life can be tough, i.e. same as a non-refundable £700 airline ticket that a friend of mine can no longer use.
    or
    3. May-be venues should organise fan-to-fan exchange at face value +10% handling fee, that way you get your money back, someone else gets to see the gig/show, the venues costs are covered and most importantly no-one gets ripped off. This system works for the premier league so why not?

How sympathetic.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How sympathetic.:rolleyes:

TBH my first point is simple to do.

It's called a diary or calendar! if a date is free then I mark down that I'm going to see a band, plus traveling time, then if someone else wants me at that time (including work) I simply say sorry I'm busy at that time. As I said simple!

If a date wasn't free, I'd check to see if I could move the original event so that I could go to the concert.

If its a tour there are usually more than one date, so whilst some may mean more travelling, it depends how much you want to see the band/show.

The point I'm making in all of this, is that the excuses used to justify the existence of Viagogo etc are pitiful in reality and they exist because its big business for the ticket promoters, who have found another way of extracting even more money from fans by dressing it up as a fan service!
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

then you should use scarletmist