Forum posting order

2»

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I know but that doesn't help when they're on page five or six.

I usually go to my profile and look for all posts by me but this gives different results depending on which way the wind is blowing at the time.

If you click on the total number of replies on the thread a box appears with all of the posters and their post count. Click on your post count number, it shows all the posts you've made in that thread in order.. It's more reliable than the profile search function at the moment. If it doesn't work first time, keep trying as it's also slightly screwed.

Apart from fixing what's not working, why isn't there a dedicated, pinned thread in each section of DS, explaining all of the workings of this site. I've had to learn as I go or from other FM's.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    If you click on the total number of replies on the thread a box appears with all of the posters and their post count. Click on your post count number, it shows all the posts you've made in that thread in order.. It's more reliable than the profile search function at the moment. If it doesn't work first time, keep trying as it's also slightly screwed.

Apart from fixing what's not working, why isn't there a dedicated, pinned thread in each section of DS, explaining all of the workings of this site. I've had to learn as I go or from other FM's.
    I know but first you have to find the thread. If it's more than a few hours old it can be hidden several pages in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know but first you have to find the thread. If it's more than a few hours old it can be hidden several pages in.

That's unlikely in a few hours, I may have go back two pages at the most. They do stand out so I just look at anything with a blue arrow and do that, since the profile search function died. It's better than nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's unlikely in a few hours, two pages at the most. They do stand out so I just look at anything with a blue arrow and do that, since the profile search function died. It's better than nothing.
    I looked for my post in the Where Are You From thread on page five and it just returned a sorry no matches error when I clicked on my name in Who Posted?

Even if it weren't so unreliable I'm not sure I'd like to keep checking multiple pages for old posts. That's why I use the method I described above instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looked for my post in the Where Are You From thread on page five and it just returned a sorry no matches error when I clicked on my name in Who Posted?

Yes as I said keep trying it rarely works first time at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as I said keep trying it rarely works first time.
    Like I originally said, I wish it were more reliable. This way there are several teps to follow each of which could fail at any time. DS need to update their forum software but with so many posts and users it'd be like painting the Forth Bridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I originally said, I wish it were more reliable. DS need to update their forum software but with so many posts and users it'd be like painting the Forth Bridge.

I think we all feel the same. A moderator did post a while ago saying there was a virus in the search function.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    And me!

It's a DS glitch that's been annoying people for months, doubt they'll ever get round to fixing it.

I prefer the way it is here too. Another forum I use does newest post first and it's difficult to follow the conversation.

Also, if you click the little arrow next to the thread title, it usually takes you straight to the next new post.

Nice to see you back posting again. :) I often wondered what everybody was going on about search buttons not working on here. I think I might now know. :blush:
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I am not a prolific forum user and I have only followed two others (both php sites). But I have preferred the way the other two put the most recent post on the first page, unlike DS which places the most recent post at the end.

Which way do you prefer and why?

No doubt already said, but you can change the order in your account settings.