The death of the British 'front garden' : Have you concreted over yours yet?

Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
Forum Member
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32780242

I remember as a kid all the front gardens were immaculate on our street, no doubt to give a great first impression of what was inside

Now with more houses having 2 or 3 or even 4 cars and a requirement to park them... And also a general laziness that makes gardening seem not as worthwhile.... Seems the front gardens days are numbered.

Ours is gravel...

More and more urban flooding caused by the desire to concrete over all our garden spaces... Patios etc...

RIP Front Gardens

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member
    Mine is paved but it's the only place I can park as there are many cars down a narrow unmade short close.

I had all the paving taken up in the back garden and laid to lawn.

People are now to busy or lazy to do gardening. It is sad seeing so much concrete now which does aid the flooding along with the un-kept ditches where most of the water use to go.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was already gravelled when I moved in but I keep it neat and tidy with a nice assortment of tubs (when they don't get robbed >:()

Not many seem to take a great deal of pride in theirs nowadays. Saddens me seeing so many unkempt shyteholes .... doesn't take 5 mins to pull up a few weeds and have a sweep up. Lazy gits!
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a concrete drive which leads up to the front door and the rest of the garden is paved over with large beds around the outside. It was like this when whe moved in.

We make the most of the paved area but having large shrubs and bushes, we have mexican orange blossom, a buddleia, lavender, big rosemary, some cottage plants, huge planters for our toms and 3 other bushes that I dont know the name of!

Our back garden is about half paved and half grass and beds.

Only one car fits on the drive though so if we wanted both of them, we would have to change the front garden.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About half my street has killed their front gardens in favour of having a drive way and it's so sad to see. I accept it's all about personal choice but the increasing lack of gardens here is getting depressing.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »

Only one car fits on the drive though so if we wanted both of them, we would have to change the front garden.

We did that 20-odd years ago to fit two cars width wise, so this is nothing new. The tarmac is water-permeable/porous and if this was compulsory for all types of driveway materials, it would reduce the excessive water runoff problem.

And roadway parking should be banned unless the driveway is fully occupied!
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.......
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    We did that 20-odd years ago to fit two cars width wise, so this is nothing new. The tarmac is water-permeable/porous and if this was compulsory for all types of driveway materials, it would reduce the excessive water runoff problem.

And roadway parking should be banned unless the driveway is fully occupied!

Im not sure Im suggesting its anything new!!

I save the space for my OH by parking outside when I get home from work and leave the drive free for when he gets in. When I park in the drive, by the time he gets home, someone has parked outside
  • fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is tarmac. We do have a very large back garden that is mainly lawn and flower beds.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Although I had my driveway block paved a few years back, I decided to keep the lawn and borders.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is tarmac front and back, but with borders and shrubs.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is tarmac front and back, but with borders and shrubs.

I did a job for a bloke once who's entire aim was to ensure every last CM was able to be used to park cars as he was a car nut, made a fortune flogging the plants he wanted ripped out to others but now he's older and not quite so wanting 5 "project cars" anymore and his friends don't turn up so much he's regretting the fact that the place is a sterile strip that his kids can't really play as much as he would like.
  • gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I refuse to do it, even thou we have three cars on the road, I think the house looks great with a front garden , lts looks a real home, not a car parking space
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    Im not sure Im suggesting its anything new!!

I save the space for my OH by parking outside when I get home from work and leave the drive free for when he gets in. When I park in the drive, by the time he gets home, someone has parked outside

Not you but the media (or RHS) are suggesting that it's a new thing, last 10 years, but it's been gradual over the last 25 years or more. I can remember people doing it back in the 1970s!

I take your point about having to protect your parking space outside, people should only be allowed to park outside other people's houses if they are visitors, or have first turned their front garden into a driveway and it's occupied (or soon will be). Mandatory driveways for all car owners, the RHS would love that!! :o;)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (just realised this thread is not about brazilians, so I back off slowly, and people might not notice...)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine are all gravelled.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had the driveway widened slightly to get two cars on but still have a small lawn. Installed a huge soakaway so not contributing to the water runoff problem.
  • Herbet_JamesHerbet_James Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Same as others, Had the driveway widened for extra access but we love our front lawn and flower beds.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If I could, I'd move my house 10ft forward to eradicate my front garden entirely and make my back garden bigger.

Currently my back garden has a shed in it and a rotary clothes-line. If I could have the extra space at the back, rather than at the front, there'd be enough room to make a proper little recreational area.

Back gardens are where it's at. :cool:
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point as I can accommodate at least 6 cars easily on my drive without using the garden which is mostly trees and lawn.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Our front garden is still fully grassed, apart from the path. Our back garden used to be grassed with the path, concrete steps and a bit extra concrete infront of the garage (it's at the bottom of our garden), but it wasn't very practical as it was on a slope, it's now half paved and half decked, with steps and a ramp for my dad to use in his wheelchair. It's a much more usable space now,
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Good thread. The destruction of the urban landscape in this way really makes me fume, and it all seems to have happened in the last 15-20 years.

I know of so many streets that used to be beautifully kept with front gardens full of flower beds, magnolia trees, ornamental cherries etc.
    Now they've nearly all been ruined with ghastly tarmacked drives, and boring gravelled bits.
    And that's not just down to parking. Some of these houses have garages and a drive besides. Why the **** does no-one keep their car in the garage anymore? That's what it's for.

A typical urban 1930s semi now has:
    - a wholly tarmacked front area, often with no visible flora at all (apart from possibly a solitary cheap plastic planter with some dying supermarket petunia in it)
    - gravel.
    - UPVC windows - Aaaaarrrghhh!
    - and... this is the worst... a massive flat screen TV mounted on the chimney breast in the front room, where they've ripped out the period fireplace to make way for it.

Contemptible.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. It's not even accessible to use as a car park, just sheer laziness on my part. Front gardens are for other people imo.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My front garden is lawn, flower beds and gravel footpath. No concrete and tarmac in sight :)

Then again my road access is at the back. It used to be all grass, weeds and hedges when we moved in. Now the end 4m is hard landscaped, with a small drive, shed and wheelie bins space. The rest of it is now lawns, flower beds and gravel, and even the driveway has a car port/pergola over it with plants growing up it, and will hopefully one day have a green roof.

I think keeping green spaces is very important to make an area look and feel nice, and there should be rules about driveways being absorbent to help prevent flooding.

However my front garden (and all the ones on my road) is so clay-ey that even though it's all grass, flowerbeds and gravel it still becomes waterlogged in the rain and runs off down the hill to cause the stream in the greenfield below us to flash flood regular, but the council don't seem concerned and plan to build houses on it.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't really have a front garden, just a short strip of land and then railings separating it from the path. We have slate chippings and a few pots on it.
  • boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours used to be half grass and half paved but last year we paved it all so we could park 2 cars on it. There is a small hedge between our garden and our neighbours and we have a couple of planters so there is a bit of greenery.

I do think front gardens look nice but I'm just not cut out to be a gardener and it is hard to find time when you work full time. We also have a reasonable sized back garden to look after.