Options

Always worth threatening to cancel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
Forum Member
This is probably not relevant to anyone but I thought i'd just share my experience about sky. I'm an existing customer & basically I was getting a bit pissed off about all the good deals I saw going for new customers so I contacted them by email a few weeks ago saying I was a customer for 16 years & was annoyed about all the offers to attract new people & what about the loyal customers. I asked for a sky+ box with the £30 installation & a deal on sky sports. They got back to me saying I could have sky sports for the first 2 months for £9 then it will revert back to the original price but they would not budge on the sky+ box saying i'd have to pay over £100 for it plus installation.
Anyway I ignored the email & rang them today saying I wanted to cancel as my kids take over the tv & I never get the chance to watch my programs until they are in bed.
I was offered a sky hd box (grade A) with a 12 month guarantee for £44 getting installed next Tuesday, without having to take the multiroom or the £10 a month hd package so I snapped it up.
I then came off the phone found the email about sky sports & sent it back saying I would take them up on the offer of sky sports half price for 2 months & that was switched on 3 hours later so i'm happy.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    As I always say. You pay for a service, you don't pay for freebies, But good on you for getting a deal.
  • Options
    Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you phone up your gas/water, electricity suppliers and say 'I have been a loyal customer for 16yrs let me have it all for free this weekend'?

I find this loyal customer thing very strange, they offered the service to you 16yrs ago and you took them up. They will make offers all the time to attract more business, that is life....

A company provides a service, you pay for it. How long you have had/paid for that service does not come into it..

If you want a bonus for being loyal in business get a Tesco Clubcard or similar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    i actually tried to cancel today as i have virgin tv anyways. and i have 6 mix plus hd pack half price for 6months 16 quid odd isnt bad lol
  • Options
    AH7386AH7386 Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Rab C wrote: »
    Do you phone up your gas/water, electricity suppliers and say 'I have been a loyal customer for 16yrs let me have it all for free this weekend'?

I find this loyal customer thing very strange, they offered the service to you 16yrs ago and you took them up. They will make offers all the time to attract more business, that is life....

A company provides a service, you pay for it. How long you have had/paid for that service does not come into it..

If you want a bonus for being loyal in business get a Tesco Clubcard or similar.

Never a truer word spoken.

Why do people nowadays feel that they are owed something by every company they deal with. My local chinese doesn't even give me free prawn crackers and i've been a loyal customer for 10 years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Time to get a new chinkies then aint it?

Why not try cos everybody else is & besides its the 21st century & only 5 channels availible on terrestrial tv because of skys greed so I don't care about trying to get a deal from them.
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wulliebhoy wrote: »
    Time to get a new chinkies then aint it?

Why not try cos everybody else is & besides its the 21st century & only 5 channels availible on terrestrial tv because of skys greed so I don't care about trying to get a deal from them.

Couldn't agree with you more!

There is an old saying "If you don't ask, you don't get', which is very true these days.

Personally, I have no qualms about screwing $ky for every penny I can - they have been screwing their customers for years.

And if they can afford to give viewing at half price, it shows what the real prices should be.

There are many people who believe in the maxim 'Only fools pay full price when they can get it for less'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you Poppa my sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I'm certainly not above screwing $ky out of some money either. Some time back, my Sky box got stuck on standby and I had no warranty (I've had Sky since 2000), so I rung up and told them of my predicament and said I couldn't afford the £60 service charge as I am out of work (which is genuine). I told them I was considering cancelling my subscription, so they passed me through to the cancellations department who agreed to waive the service charge. The best part is, I was just expecting a new box, but I got a new dish as well :D
  • Options
    jnojno Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a very fair point although electricity and water are a little more essential to everyday life than Sky TV. Sky must realise there is strong competition from Virgin by offering the customer a deal though.

Although water and electricity are a little more essential, Sky certainly isn't as attractive as it was back in the day, and I wonder if I woulc have more fun enjoyment surfing youtube for an hour than looking at endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses on G.O.L.D (admittedly not Sky's own channel but you pay Sky to watch it) for which I have seen 3times already.

Sky advertised this sort of show as "more great TV" back in the 1990s and the majority of the EPG for me has just gone stale. Even HD, a lot of what is on Sky is the just the same old thing in better quality

Your point about the electricity and water is indeed an extremely fair one though.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Depends on the terms of the half price deal...

If its only for a few months ... Sky have successfully enticed you to pay for something you don't want, instead of receiving no revenue from you at all.
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    And if they can afford to give viewing at half price, it shows what the real prices should be.

There are many people who believe in the maxim 'Only fools pay full price when they can get it for less'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got DTT in my area ... so have far more than 5 channels on terrestrial ... it is likely you will as well before the end of 2012... or get a FTA DSat receiver and have lots of channels today... :D
    wulliebhoy wrote: »
    only 5 channels availible on terrestrial tv because of skys greed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I rang up SKY to cancel my subscription because my standard box was freezing constantly.
    I told them that I could not afford the price of a new box and as a result wanted to cancel my subscription.

Thing is I was actually being genuine here and not trying to screw SKY!!!

The guy on the phone was very helpful and offered me a SKY+ box and installation for £29.
    It was a pleasant surprise, but now I feel he probably thinks I was trying it on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member

What I do is change to the competition, you always get a better deal. Thats for insurance, gas and electricity. I check every year, maybe you should try it, you might be amazed at what you can save.
    However isn't amazing what sky will offer, when you actually cancel your subscription. Most of the sales people i've spoken to will tell you the same( the ones in shopping centers, not phone) Cancel your subscription and we'll set you up as a new customer. Sky when they make these offer to the customers they are still making a profit, so lets not be fooled into thinking we are doing them out of money.
    I know it's been said but, "if you don't ask, you won't get"
    Thats my two pence:)
  • Options
    Paul000Paul000 Posts: 286
    Forum Member

What would be so very wrong about a SKY TV loyalty scheme - afterall I can lock my price in with my Gas Supplier and it is easier for me to manage the consumption of water and gas. I go away for work quite a bit and I dont use those in my absence. I think if people want to negotiate a "deal" jolly good luck to them and thank-you for sharing.
  • Options
    geobradgeobrad Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, i have been with sky for the past 8 years but in january my mother in law who we cared for passed away as a result i could no longer afford sky as we now just have one wage coming in. So phoned sky to cancel, explained the situation, lady on the phone tried to offer me telephone and broadband to help cut costs. As soon as i said i was on 02 LLU broadband i was told ok goodbye you are on 30 days notice.

Cheers
    George
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

there is a difference, you need gas, electric and water, you don't need sky. With gas and electric you switch companies if you are not happy with the price, but you can't say h stuff that, it is costing me too much so i will not bother anymore.

Anyway it is not always the consumer that phones up bout these deals, I know a few people who have sky and sky have got in contact to give them deals to try and get them to sign up for another 12 months, even with broadband, BT or a company on behalf of Bt have phoned me up 3 times in the last month and offered to knock a fiver off my broadband per month if I sign for another 12 months.#

the company may provide a service that you pay for, but they also want to keep your custom and it is cheaper to keep customers than to get new ones, so best to keep them sweet.

I remember when I had Sky and canceled I was offered all sorts of things, half price movies, free sport channels for a couple of months and Sky + box, refused them all, now I only hear from Sky once in a blue moon and that is too often.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »

I feel the same therefore I never pay the full price anymore either half price or cancellation :rolleyes:
    wgmorg wrote: »
    Sky have successfully enticed you to pay for something you don't want, instead of receiving no revenue from you at all.

Customer has successfully reduced his/her bill to £24.25 instead of paying £48.50 :rolleyes:

So it works both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Value ... Depends on the terms of the half price deal... ... BIG deal for 3 months ... Great deal for 3 years... :D:D:D:D:D

Customer has successfully reduced his/her bill to £24.25 instead of paying £48.50 :rolleyes:

So it works both ways.