Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I liked Dominion and wondered about trying Fatherland.

ETA

Forgot to put what I am reading:blush:

Nerd do well By Simon Pegg :)

I can recommend Fatherland, its a better read in my opinion. :-)
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson which I loved (although it does seem very 'marmite' judging by the reviews).

Now reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (thought I would give it a whirl following all the hype) - not sure at the moment - she does seem to like using 500 words when perhaps 50 would suffice. But I'll persevere (for the time being anyway).
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I'm reading The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, not sure about it but I'm not very far in yet.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished all 12 of Dennis Wheatleys rather good 'Roger Brook' series,about a young man who is technically,a 'spy' during the French revolution and the subsequent rise and fall of Napoleon.
    Am now about a quarter of the way through Mark Lewisohns first volume (of three) of 'All These Years:Tune In',a biography of the Beatles.
    It has been argued that the world does not need another such book, but anyone who has read Lewisohns 'Beatles Chronicle' or 'Beatles Recording Sessions' will (like me) tell you different.
    He manages to bring new facts to light, in a warm and real way,so that you feel almost as though you are living the story with him!
    Thoroughly enjoyable so far,if you are/were ever a fan,and probably a good read even if you are one of those who claim not have been.
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson which I loved (although it does seem very 'marmite' judging by the reviews).

Now reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (thought I would give it a whirl following all the hype) - not sure at the moment - she does seem to like using 500 words when perhaps 50 would suffice. But I'll persevere (for the time being anyway).

Just started The Goldfinch .. so far so good .. The Little Friend and The Secret History are excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Diaries of a Fleet Street Fox - Different to what I expected .. more of a Bridget Jones as journalist going through divorce rather than an insight into the profession itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished Peter Robinson's Children of the Revolution. Not the greatest of the series, but still welcoming to meetthe DCI and his team again. More of a vehicle to prepare for Banks's retirement perhaps?
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Peter Robinson's Children of the Revolution. Not the greatest of the series, but still welcoming to meetthe DCI and his team again. More of a vehicle to prepare for Banks's retirement perhaps?

I just finished this yesterday!

He always gets the women doesn't he? I thought this book had more of Winsome and Annie taking the lead and going it alone in interviews.... Retirement maybe as you say.

Have now started Samantha Hayes- Until you're mine
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sycamore Row - John Grisham. He never disappoints.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow and Claw: Gene Wolfe. Seems to be highly rated so I thought I'd give it a try.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The Time Machine - H.G Wells
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The devil's novice by Ellis Peters. I've come late to Caedfal. Llove Susanna Gregory,s Matthew Bartholomew and thought I should read the original medieval tec. Now I know just how beautiful is her writing , the characters and landscapes must leap off the page. Added to which Jacobi has appeared on channel 20. The cup runneth over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Game by Anders De La Motte.
    Set in Stockholm, man finds a mobile phone on a train, a message keeps flashing "do you want to play a game?" He accepts...
    Seems to be going at a pretty fast pace from the start. Intriguing.
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Game by Anders De La Motte.
    Set in Stockholm, man finds a mobile phone on a train, a message keeps flashing "do you want to play a game?" He accepts...
    Seems to be going at a pretty fast pace from the start. Intriguing.

Me too, just finished Game II.

I agree Game I was intriguing. Game II will make you see DS forums in a new light :o
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mad Fat Diary (Vol 2). It's a bit grim so far to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    Me too, just finished Game II.

I agree Game I was intriguing. Game II will make you see DS forums in a new light :o

:O
    *runs off to read Game* :-D
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started Abducted by T.R. Ragan - a Kindle freebie which seems as though it's going to be good.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. I am really looking forward to reading this.
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Light Years - Elizabeth Jane Howard

Set just before the second World War, this is the first of the Cazalet Chronicles, centering on three related families.
    It's all terribly British and politeness personified, but I enjoyed it enormously. I especially liked the younger members of the families. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Close - Suggs
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elly Griffiths - the Outcast Dead.
    Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway has excavated a body from the grounds of Norwich Castle, a forbidding edifice that was once a prison. She believes the body may be that of infamous Victorian murderess Jemima Green. Called Mother Hook for her claw-like hand, Jemima was hanged in 1867 for the murder of five children in her care.

DCI Harry Nelson has no time for long-dead killers. Immersed in the case of three infants found dead, one after the other, in their King’s Lynn home, he’s convinced that a family member is responsible, though others on his team think differently.

Then a child goes missing. Could the abduction be linked to the long-dead Mother Hook? Ruth is pulled into the case, and back towards Nelson.

Surely this has to be a TV series.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Kill A Mockingbird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?(And Other Concerns) By Mindy Kaling
  • Options