The Chase (ITV) (Part 3)

Comments

• Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Shaun will get axed from this show soon? I see him losing more times than he is winning lately. With the other 3 chasers having a win % of around 75-80
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Well done Pip. Amazing that she passed on a "what world war" question , yet pulled out Ivor Novello.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Shaun. :(
    Forum Member
    Poor Shaun. :(

I think Shaun suffers from poor time management more than the others and seems to step up the pace when it's too late. Felt for him on that C3PO question.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ghiselle wrote: »
    I think Shaun suffers from poor time management more than the others and seems to step up the pace when it's too late. Felt for him on that C3PO question.

Totally agree. He's my favourite of the Chasers, and it's disheartening to see him struggle like that.

The last 15 seconds really betrayed his desperation to win as well. And given how annoyed at himself he looked after, I don't really think it's doing his confidence any favours either. :(
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. He's my favourite of the Chasers, and it's disheartening to see him struggle like that.

The last 15 seconds really betrayed his desperation to win as well. And given how annoyed at himself he looked after, I don't really think it's doing his confidence any favours either. :(

Agree with you Benjamin. Usually I would say that Sean's best chance of winning is when playing against 1 or 2 players. However today he was shockingly poor and slow as other posters have rightly indicated. I like Sean and agree that he seems to be suffering from a a lack of confidence. Anne and Paul have been almost unbeatable this series and Mark rarely wastes time in the final chase winning more often than losing. Comparatively I witness Sean losing far more frequently than the other Chasers and he must be aware of this fact. I know other posters have posted statistics showing win/lose rates and in these Sean is not doing faring too badly. Though quite how this is the case I do not know. Another point I could make is that the other 3 chasers fill the viewer in with more explanations of their answers - most of these I find entertaining and interesting to know. Whereas Sean ........

Next poster please Bradley ...........
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Shaun will get axed from this show soon? I see him losing more times than he is winning lately. With the other 3 chasers having a win % of around 75-80

According to wiki
    Anne 80.37%
    Paul 76.25%
    Mark 72.65%
    Shaun 66.04%

In their last 5 games
    Anne Has won 4 Lost 1
    Paul Has won 3 Lost 2
    Mark Has Won 4 Lost 1
    Shaun Has Won 3 Lost 2
    Shaun's games have been spread out a lot and he hasn't been on much recently, Paul and Shaun have the same win rate in their last 5 games, but we've had sinnerman overkill recently so if Shaun has more games then we'll see if he's on form. He had some shocking answers today.
  • swordofomensswordofomens Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else cringe at that guy admitting he adored Westlife.

OMG that is something you don't tell people particularly on national television.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I’m not a regular in this (very long) thread) and haven’t read every post so apologies if this has already been said but…

The US pilot was filmed in London last year, with Bradley Walsh as the host. The pilot was commissioned by the Fox network and the plan was, if taken to a full series, for Bradley Walsh to remain the host. I’m not sure what they were planning in terms of the chasers, but I presume they were going to have their own.
    But Fox decided to pass on the programme and not take it through to a series. At which point ITV Studios (who were producing it for Fox) took the pilot and shopped it around to see if other broadcasters were interested.
    At this stage GSN (Game Show Network) showed an interest and a full series was commissioned. However, part of their agreement with ITV Studios was that Bradley Walsh would be replaced by a US host, which was eventually chosen to be Brooke Burke (model/Baywatch actress). But it was better news for Mark Labett (The Beast), they really liked him and so he was chosen as the single chaser (unlike the UK version). An initial 8 episodes were ordered and have been recorded, and will air on GSN in August.

Slight correction , Brooke Burke was not in Baywatch, on Tv she is mostly a presenter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Done Pip, extremely well done in setting a good target and pushing the Chaser Back, she deserved the money, just a shame Nick couldn't have got through and they'd have been going home with £28,500 each.

I liked Pip , something about her, so really glad when she won.
    Shaun had a few shockers.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pip was lovely.

I like Shaun. I think he has a slight problem with timing in the final chase more than anything else.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    Slight correction , Brooke Burke was not in Baywatch, on Tv she is mostly a presenter.

True.
    The Baywatch babe was Brooke Burns.
    However, Brooke Burke's current husband, David Charvet, is a Baywatch actor.
    :D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platty wrote: »
    He was embarrassed he got that barrister question wrong , don't blame him it was a shocker

Although I'd never heard the phrase "outer bar", I'd certainly heard of "inner bar", which I think has to do with the ranking of barristers. Maybe it's a secret which is divulged only when you become a QC. :D
    Forum Member
    This is a very different show to the one that Mark and Shaun joined all that time ago. When it started , the teams were stronger and the final chase questions were easier. So teams would regularly score high , and Chasers would regularly catch them

Now there is always one weak player in the team to mix it up , and the questions are much more of a mixed bag , varying from primary school level to harder than University Challenge. The final chase scores are lower as a result , and the Chasers struggle more often. I think it is a more entertaining unpredictable show as a result - its good to know that a score of 15 is not necessarily a losing one. But sadly I think Shaun's incredibly busy life means that he is struggling to maintain the high levels that he had in the early shows. But I love Shaun , he is good humoured and charismatic , and he still wins far more often than he loses. And like Paul , he is always gracious to the opponents. Don't get me wrong I like The Beast's panto villain hectoring , but it is nice to have variety.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ghiselle wrote: »
    This is a very different show to the one that Mark and Shaun joined all that time ago. When it started , the teams were stronger and the final chase questions were easier. So teams would regularly score high , and Chasers would regularly catch them

Now there is always one weak player in the team to mix it up , and the questions are much more of a mixed bag , varying from primary school level to harder than University Challenge. The final chase scores are lower as a result , and the Chasers struggle more often. I think it is a more entertaining unpredictable show as a result - its good to know that a score of 15 is not necessarily a losing one. But sadly I think Shaun's incredibly busy life means that he is struggling to maintain the high levels that he had in the early shows. But I love Shaun , he is good humoured and charismatic , and he still wins far more often than he loses. And like Paul , he is always gracious to the opponents. Don't get me wrong I like The Beast's panto villain hectoring , but it is nice to have variety.

I tend to agree with you. The four chasers are a good mix and I wouldn't want to lose any of them.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    I tend to agree with you. The four chasers are a good mix and I wouldn't want to lose any of them.

Even though I would like to see a fifth introduced to freshen up the show a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Although I'd never heard the phrase "outer bar", I'd certainly heard of "inner bar", which I think has to do with the ranking of barristers. Maybe it's a secret which is divulged only when you become a QC. :D

Well wikpediai says this:
    In England, a call ceremony takes place at the barrister's Inn of Court, before or during the pupillage year. A barrister is called to the utter ("outer") bar or "appointed to the degree of the utter bar". Those appointed as Queen's Counsel are entitled to plead from "within the Bar" in court.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_to_the_bar
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Even though I would like to see a fifth introduced to freshen up the show a bit.

There are obviously some very good professional quizzers out there eg on Egg heads and elsewhere etc but they need some kind of "personality/persona " to fit in with the Chase and some ability to do some banter, even humour, or at lease use scripted quips convincingly.

Female quizzers such as Anne seem the exception, as I don't think Dafne or Judith from Eggheads would fit in well. They would irritate me.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, interesting.
  • king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a 20 second preview of The Chase USA Premires Augest 6th 9PM ET/PT
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fBXrIJFK4
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else cringe at that guy admitting he adored Westlife.

OMG that is something you don't tell people particularly on national television.

Would have been worse if he'd said he adored Carole Bore-derman, Jordan or Kerry Katona!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a 20 second preview of The Chase USA Premires Augest 6th 9PM ET/PT
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fBXrIJFK4

Interesting. But the $250 k mentioned, must surely be a maximum potential overall offer for a team?
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True.
    The Baywatch babe was Brooke Burns.
    However, Brooke Burke's current husband, David Charvet, is a Baywatch actor.
    :D

You can see where I got confused! :D
  • DONTBANMEDONTBANME Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    There are obviously some very good professional quizzers out there eg on Egg heads and elsewhere etc but they need some kind of "personality/persona " to fit in with the Chase and some ability to do some banter, even humour, or at lease use scripted quips convincingly.

Female quizzers such as Anne seem the exception, as I don't think Dafne or Judith from Eggheads would fit in well. They would irritate me.

Judith Keppel as a Chaser would be a guaranteed win for the contestants every time:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DONTBANME wrote: »
    Judith Keppel as a Chaser would be a guaranteed win for the contestants every time:D

It's a pity how underwhelming the first Millionaire Winner reaction was at the time. I've no problem with her so called "posh" background , which we knew nothing at the time anyway, it's just that her personality/reaction was a "I won a million, ho hum" that deflated the occasion. Some seem to find that refreshing but it's almost now she reluctantly dirties her hands to take part in Egg Heads.
This discussion has been closed.