Comments

• Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    knowing when youve had enough

I know in modern youth culture its the "first to puke is a nancy boy"

but it is the only way

itll stop wasting ambulance and A&E times and money

I did stop and I didn't need an ambulance. I am 40 years old, I do know my limit.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hangover headaches are caused by dehydration a lot. Try and dilute the alcohol with water after but don't go mad with water, a couple of cups once you feel a headache coming on. It's no miracle cure but at least you'd be putting necessary fluids back and flushing your bladder out.

Alcohol is basically a poison, and your body needs to get it away asap. Food helps (if you can keep it down) but water is often overlooked. Try not to go for dead cold water on a poorly stomach, add a bit of hot/warm from kettle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 rolls and slice,bottle of irnbru job done
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think you've had too much to drink, force yourself to down 2 pints of water before going to bed. IT WORKS! Hangovers are just dehydration. Failing that just rehydrate yourself as much as you can in the morning and take 2 paracetamol to ease your headache and eat something (anything doesn't matter) There is no definitive cure as it's all about replacing fluids and energy which will be done with food and water and time.

Certain drinks however are said to be more likely to give you a hangover but personally I think it's all down to what you're used to. I do think that cheap spirits, wine and homebrew etc. give worse hangovers. Scientific tests show that the more impurities in an alcoholic beverage the worse the hangover so the more filtered or distilled the drink the less likely you're hangover will be. In a nutshell, don't drink cheap wine or spirits unless you want a banging head. Of course that also depends on how much you consume. You can drink the purest tripple distilled vodka in the world but after downing half a bottle don't expect to wake up without a sore head.

Another valuable tip I've found is that if you feel you've had one or two too many before going to bed and you feel like your head is about to go, then make yourself sick as soon as you can. Don't allow the toxins stay in your stomach any longer than necessary as there may still be alcohol in there which hasn't yet been absorbed which will make you worse if left in the system. Follow this with a few pints of water to replace lost fluids and rehydrate yourself and help flush out any toxins/poison. This may sound crazy but making yourself sick before the alcohol does, can actuality stop you from feeling any worse.

If you're a smoker then don't have a cigarette if you've had too much to drink. It can have a tendency to tip you over that point of no return from being ok drunk where you can go to bed comfortably to room spinning puking up hammered where you spend the next 3 hours pacing up and down trying to stop your head from exploding. Don't know exactly why. It's something to do with the effects on your blood and oxygen levels but it has the same effect as downing 2 more pints on top of what you've already consumed but the effect can be instant. One minute you can feel relatively ok and one cigarette later your head feels like it's about to explode. Not good!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    The best one is not to get drunk in the first place.
    Someone didn't understand the question.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    The best one is not to get drunk in the first place.
    Wrong!
    The OP has a hangover through sobering up.
    Big Mistake!
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing that I think helps me is drinking literally a few pints of water after coming home before bed... Its very hard to drink at that time and it almost makes you sick but you wake up massively better.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sleep. Then when you wake up gasping for water, drink water. Then piss. Then sleep again. Done.

Edit: hangover poo and a cigarette also included.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    As someone else said...Irn Bru...it really does have magical powers and restores your equilibrium in no time! Try it!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Someone didn't understand the question.

This is DS. There's always one who likes to think he's a smart arse. Par for the course on here I'm afraid.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Hate to admit it but I usually get a takeaway after a night out and I fill my sports bottle with water and take it to bed with me. I rarely get hangovers, though I suppose a sandwich before bed would be better than fast food.

When i've got a hangover though, nothing gets rid of it before about 5pm.
  • Options
    RebeccasMumRebeccasMum Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    The two pints of water thing is spot on.

Couple that with 2 Ibuprofen, to stop your brain from swelling.

In the morning, have another couple of pints of water, and do some exercise (big run) to sweat out all the toxins and avoid the inevitable alcohol anxieties (these come later on in life).

Maybe the run might be a bit ambitious, but definitely the water before / after and ABSOLUTELY the 2 x ibuprofen before bed.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A really good curry. Nothing beats a curry for hangovers and sunstroke :D
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Drink a pint of ice cold tomato juice and eat a banana. Also take three soluble aspirin mixed in with a soluble vitamin C tablet in water.

Then just keep drinking water, lots of it.

Works for me 😊.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sit on a pointy stick. It doesn't cure you, but it's a different focus of pain.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Full English breakfast did the trick (back in the days when I'd get blotto).

As the late Jennifer Paterson said "A full English breakfast, dear; the liver embraces it"
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Depends if your stomach can face the grease. These days I just stick to water until the belly feels fit enough for a few nibbles of food.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I heard something on the radio the other day about people paying £200 to be hooked up to a drip for a hangover. I would pay £200 when I'm in desperate pain with a migraine.

I think a pinch of sugar, pinch of salt, pint of water and some painkillers is best for a hangover, if you don't have £200 to spare for a drip that is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    A really good curry. Nothing beats a curry for hangovers and sunstroke :D

oohh imagine the state of their loo :o:(:D booze and curry :o
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    My failsafe tactic to avoid a hangover altogether years ago was:

- big kebab / burger / pizza on the way home at the end of the night out
    - mug of tea at home, followed by two pints of water (sipped)
    - 1 ibuprofen tablet, an excellent anti-inflammatory
    - another pint of water (sipped).

Bed.
    After that, I would say any chance of a hangover would be eliminated.

The tea/ibuprofen/water routine needs to be done slowly over thirty minutes; not always easy to complete when you're shattered and drunk, but even when I was sloshed I did this routine even in automatic pilot mode, as I knew how horrific the ensuing hangover would be if I didn't.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    oohh imagine the state of their loo :o:(:D booze and curry :o

Worse if the hangover's taking place in the office! :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A red hot poker up the jaxi, you soon forget about the hangover.
  • Options
    IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    McBreakfast, juice, sleep and Nurofen Express, plus time = hangover cure.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time and sleep. Those are the only things that really work for me. And drinking lots of tea and water of course.

Either that, or not sobering up.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in Brasil I kept getting totally wasted after one capirinha so my friends got me this thing called 'Engov' from the pharmacy, it's a soluble tablet and with a flavoured thing, to drink before alcohol. It stopped me getting wasted and prevented any hangover the next day. I'm not sure if they have it in the UK.