Options

1985-2005 how much has your life changed in 20 yrs?

lulululu Posts: 4,685
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For those of you who watched the original Live Aid, or can remember it, how much has your life changed in 20 years?

In 20 years I've had a brilliant career, a baby, two marriages (so far!), a serious illness, a post grad and doing another degree...in no particular order. I loved my life then and I love it now.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've learned to walk, talk, eat solid foods, been through nursery, primary school, secondary school, 4 jobs, had a baby and been through alot of boyfriends !! Cos i am only 20 years old :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've learned to walk, talk, eat solid foods, been through nursery, primary school, secondary school, 4 jobs, had a baby and been through alot of boyfriends !! Cos i am only 20 years old :)

Aww you are still a baby ;). I'd just like to add to my original post and quite categorically state that I'm not an old bag!!!
  • Options
    Neily NNeily N Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ditto with sitcky-vicky, except I've had the one job, and not had a baby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had alot of boyfriends aswell? :)
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    My mam & dad split up when I was 3.

Since then, have lived with my Mum & Step-dad.

My nan died when I was 9, my grandad when 16 (he wanted me to go uni), both very close.

Altho' I hated school as most people do, have stayed on education, got 5 GCSE's, 2 A levels, and last week I got accepted for a standard degree - but have delicned it and going back sept to get the higher one which I was always aiming for.

And I'm only 21.

Now ask this Q in year 2024, probably be alot better.

PS, not had a single job yet, was hoping to get one this year. I'm still single.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 years ago I had all the time in the world and no money. Now I've got all the money I want, and no bloody time.

A reflection of society today - cash rich and time poor. Maybe I should pack in work, or go part time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had alot of boyfriends aswell? :)

Well two before my current partner, who I've been with since last July.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not alot, my big bro seems to go through boyfriends as if they're going out of fashion :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i am now 28 so i can just remeber the original Live Aid!!
    what have i done bloody hell a lot of things!! :p

gone through school of course left at 16 then went on to do a YTS scheme doing an NVQ in small animal care but i never came to anything so i now have a wasted NVQ!! had a few differernt part time jobs including bloody Tesco!!
    Been with my hubby since i was 16 been married for 7 of those years got a flat at 20, got married a few months later then a year afte that had our first daughter!!
    moved to a house when she was 9 months old where we had daughter number 2 just over a year later!!
    moved again 3 years ago into a house we managed to buy where we had daughter number 3 so no more moving!! :p i can see a trend happening :D
    i ahve been a full time mumever since out eldest was born and it seems to ahve worked finne with uor family but if i did havce a job then i think i woudlnt see wenough of hubby as his hours change each week but i am happy right now with life!! we have had a lot done round the house this year including having a lovely conservatory finished.
    of course over the year swe have had money worries and at times right now we still do but i cant really complain about life at all!!!

now what do i expect in hte next 20 years oooooooo i hope all 3 of my daughters do really well in school and end up in jobs that they really want to do and love and that they are happy, both myslef and hubby want to move to the coast but will not do that until teh kids are sorted and stable in there own lives so then we can move happily they may even want to come with us i wont mind that but hopefully they will all be off at uni so will only be home in the holidays!! i jsut hoe we all carry on to be healty happy and get what what we want and need!! especially for the kids:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats not alot, my big bro seems to go through boyfriends as if they're going out of fashion :eek:

Blimey!

Well the first one lived 100 miles away and a lot of emotional problems.

The 2nd was 23 years old than me, and was a bit of a control freak, so I cheated on him with my mate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,306
    Forum Member
    i have learnt to talk, walk etc... as i am only 21.. i have also had to say goodbye to a lot of people who i love so much, but right now i have learnt how to be in love and how to live my life like an "adult"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isis Black wrote:
    now what do i expect in hte next 20 years oooooooo i hope all 3 of my daughters do really well in school and end up in jobs that they really want to do and love and that they are happy, both myslef and hubby want to move to the coast but will not do that until teh kids are sorted and stable in there own lives so then we can move happily they may even want to come with us i wont mind that but hopefully they will all be off at uni so will only be home in the holidays!! i jsut hoe we all carry on to be healty happy and get what what we want and need!! especially for the kids:D

That would make a good thread, in that case i hope my little boy does well in school and grows up healthy and happy. I hope to have bought a house somewhere, and have a succesful career in nursing (which i'm hopefully going to study at college in august) and to still be with my boyfriend (but married with another baby)
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    God, my life is so boring, thanks for reminding me of the relentless passage of time.

:D

I'm still living in the same flat, doing the same work, but now self-employed rather than wage-slaving, erm........nothing much else much has changed........ :eek:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote:
    God, my life is so boring, thanks for reminding me of the relentless passage of time.

:D

I'm still living in the same flat, doing the same work, but now self-employed rather than wage-slaving, erm........nothing much else much has changed........ :eek:

At least you are your own boss. If you want a day or a few days off, you can take them without being answerable to anyone else. That sounds like a dream situation to me.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left school in 1985. Since then I have been to college, had a real variety of jobs, been to Uni, been married twice, had 5 children, owned my own house, rent houses, had a lot of fun, had some times of not much fun, moved 180 miles away from where I was in 1985. I have done a lot and intend still to do a lot more.
  • Options
    SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd been married for just over a month ... by 1987 I was separated and living 100 miles away. :( Partied hard, worked harder, then came back home, met my current husband, had two children and may even finally get to use the teaching degree I had written off as useless in 1985.

One thing I will say is that my life has been nothing like I'd envisaged in 1985 but my core group of friends are largely the same ones. Scary, that! We used to joke that we'd be boogying in our zimmer frames together.. it may yet come to pass :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadperson wrote:
    I'd been married for just over a month ... by 1987 I was separated and living 100 miles away. :( Partied hard, worked harder, then came back home, met my current husband, had two children and may even finally get to use the teaching degree I had written off as useless in 1985.

One thing I will say is that my life has been nothing like I'd envisaged in 1985 but my core group of friends are largely the same ones. Scary, that! We used to joke that we'd be boogying in our zimmer frames together.. it may yet come to pass :eek:

Well done for taking up your teaching degree. I am totally wasted right now....got a full blown party going on here :D

The one sad thing about my life is that when I 'moved' on I left all my 'friends' behind. However I've made some really good friends since then and I can't ask for more...
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Well I didn't exist until sometime around September 1989 (Born in May 1990).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Well I didn't exist until sometime around September 1989 (Born in May 1990).

Don't say that! You make me feel old... old...

Since Live Aid, I've started and completed my formal education, made a lot of friends, lost some friends, got a lot taller, fatter, thinner, fatter, thinner, and now much fatter (although slightly thinner than a few weeks ago). I've had a lot of different jobs, all at the same place, I've bought a business and gained and lost over £3,000,000 in one day.

I've met the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, and have had a baby. Two of my dogs have died, and I've ended up with another one.

I've spent nearly eighteen years of my life under a Conservative government, and have never voted for the winning side in any election.

I've discovered a love of books that carries me through all the bad times and buoys up the good.
    I've smoked for ten years and given smoking up.

But according to my mum I'm still the same as I was a five year old, twenty years ago.
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a socially aware 16 year old proto-hippie still living with my parents and doing A-levels.

Now I'm a socially aware 36 year old peace and love merchant, in a relationship since 1986, married 15 years, moved out to our present home in the back of beyond 8 years ago, Mum died 9 years ago, Dad retired and sold the family farm in 2002, four cats, no kids yet though still trying, plenty of ups and downs but currently on my way back up! :)

Life's been good to me, and when I think of the reasons for Live 8 I feel very blessed indeed.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well way back in 1986 I was born. Things really changed after that :D
  • Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left school 7 years after Live Aid.

Lived in Africa for 3 years during the 90's.

Now married, no kids.

But have moved home 12 times since the original Live Aid!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    handymelon wrote:
    I was a socially aware 16 year old proto-hippie still living with my parents and doing A-levels.

Now I'm a socially aware 36 year old peace and love merchant, in a relationship since 1986, married 15 years, moved out to our present home in the back of beyond 8 years ago, Mum died 9 years ago, Dad retired and sold the family farm in 2002, four cats, no kids yet though still trying, plenty of ups and downs but currently on my way back up! :)

Life's been good to me, and when I think of the reasons for Live 8 I feel very blessed indeed.

Yes, it does make you realise how much you take for granted in everyday life.

I now also realise that I get a hangover much easier these days...urgh, 3pm and I'm still suffering :eek:
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rather a lot, i was only 2 in 1985...
    :)
  • Options
    Jobless OddballJobless Oddball Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since 1985 my dole has more than trebled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D