Gun happy US cops kill homeless man

zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
Forum Member
A homeless man living rough in the US is gunned down by Police.

Not only do they open fire on him they continue shooting him and then set a dog onto him.

Then they cough the dead man.

His crime

Sleeping rough on government land.
ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – Critics of the Albuquerque Police Department are raising serious questions about the fatal shooting of a homeless camper in the foothills, one even calling it murder. Meanwhile, the department says the shooting was justified.

In the department’s first news conference since the shooting took place, APD did something they normally don’t do, releasing the entire video of the incident.

Police say 38-year-old James M. Boyd is the man who was killed in the shooting last Sunday. So far, they’ve been unable to contact any of Boyd’s family members.

New Albuquerque Police chief Gorden Eden said Friday the video shows that the latest officer involved shooting is justified.

Boyd was arguing with police for more three hours last Sunday in the foothills after officers went to talk to him about illegally camping in open space.
http://krqe.com/2014/03/21/apd-officer-involved-shooting-was-justified/

Graphic Video be warned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EduzwLhndIM

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bring knives to a gun fight, you'll lose
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't bring knives to a gun fight, you'll lose

Actually, it's better to use a knife if you're skilled enough to throw it accurately. Your reaction will be quicker than a gunman, who needs slightly more time to make an aim.

One documentary I watched a couple of years ago put this theory to five different scenarios, and the knife man won every time. He even managed to throw his knife at a gunman's gun hand, which had him him dropping the gun. We cringed when he screamed his head off while clutching his gun hand with the knife sticking out of it.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Actually, it's better to use a knife if you're skilled enough to throw it accurately. Your reaction will be quicker than a gunman, who needs slightly more time to make an aim.

One documentary I watched a couple of years ago put this theory to five different scenarios, and the knife man won every time. He even managed to throw the knife at a gunman's gun hand, which had him him dropping the gun. We cringed when he screamed his head off while clutching his gun hand with the knife sticking out of it.

There's the Tueller Drill (a.k.a the 21' rule) but that only comes into play if the gunman has his weapon holstered.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    They were bean bag guns. Non lethal.

If he died I suggest it was probably due to his being in bad shape already.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    They were bean bag guns. Non lethal.

If he died I suggest it was probably due to his being in bad shape already.

The bean bags are non-lethal, but the rounds from that AR-15 aren't.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    There's the Tueller Drill (a.k.a the 21' rule) but that only comes into play if the gunman has his weapon holstered.

That's true.

And thanks for that name. I thought it might be 'Trueheart Tactic' and thought "Nah". :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's quite damning. He appears to be picking up his stuff to leave and you hear one of the officers say "Do It" and they fire a flashbang. He then turns to, I assume, run, and they shoot him again.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Weird. This happened to me just last night. On GTA V.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    You only pasted half of the article. Here is the rest:
    KRQE wrote:
    During Friday’s press conference, Chief Eden released video of the moment when officers first contacted Boyd. When one officer went to frisk Boyd, the homeless camper could then be heard refusing to comply, saying he was a government agent. The video shows Boyd continued to refuse officer commands and began threatening their lives.

“I’m almost going to kill you right now. Don’t give me another directive. Don’t attempt to give me, the Department of Defense, another directive,” said Boyd at the beginning of the incident.

As the hours passed, Chief Eden said an APD Crisis Intervention Team officer and a State Police liaison were called to the scene. Both attempted to speak with Boyd, however, Chief Eden says Boyd continued to threaten officers with death. Police also discovered that Boyd had a violent 20-year criminal history that included multiple incidents of violence against officers. Boyd’s history also showed years of mental health related concerns.

Video shows when officers moved in on Boyd around 7:30 p.m on the night of the shooting. At the beginning of incident, Boyd can be heard saying, “In a private world, if you were down at a bar or a bus stop, I would have the right to kill you right now because you’re trying to take me over. Don’t get stupid with me!”

Video shows Boyd then began grabbing bags and attempted to leave when officers started their use of non-lethal force.

As Boyd is moving, officers then threw a flash bang and released a K9 which appears to bite Boyd in the hand. Chief Eden said officers also used a taser gun and bean bag rounds. Two officers, Dominque Perez and Keith Sandy then both fired three bullets each from their department issued rifles, causing Boyd to fall to the ground.

It’s unclear how many shots hit Boyd. APD says it is waiting on a report from the Office of the Medical Investigator to determine an exact cause of death.

However, the video is already raising some questions because of how Boyd appears to be turning away from the officers when bullets were fired.

Chief Eden called the shooting justified at the news conference, saying officers used non-lethal force first and that there was a direct threat made at an unarmed K9 officer. According to Chief Eden, Boyd was less than eight feet from the unarmed canine officer.

“Actually if you watch the video tape, all the less than lethal devices were in fact deployed. It was when the canine officer was down directing the canine dog that the suspect pulled out the two knives and directed a threat to the canine officer who had no weapons drawn. He was handling the dog,” Chief Eden said.

News 13 asked Chief Eden directly, “do you believe this was a justified shooting?”

Chief Eden responded, “Yes, if you follow case law, ‘Garner versus Tennessee’, there was directed threat to an officer.”

In the video recording, officer Keith Sandy’s gun can be heard firing around the exact same second as a beanbag gun. Officer Dominque Perez can be seen firing his gun next, after several pops are heard.

The press conference ended abruptly Friday without reporters being able to ask all of the questions they wanted. After taking questions for four minutes, an APD spokeswoman attempted to stop the press conference but Chief Eden took questions for two more minutes. After that, Chief Eden walked off, thanking reporters and saying “we’re good.”

News 13 wanted to ask why officers didn’t try to use a taser on Boyd again before moving in and why they didn’t have shields.

APD says the two officers who fired shots remain on leave.

One of the officers who was involved, Keith Sandy has a notable history in New Mexico law enforcement. APD hired Sandy in 2007 after he was fired by New Mexico State Police over the Wackenhut scandal. Sandy was accused of fraud for making money doing private security work while on the clock for State Police.

When Sandy was hired by APD, the department said he would be a civilian employee and he wouldn’t have a gun or a badge. However, Sandy quickly rose through the department, landing on the ROPE Team, which goes after repeat offenders or some of the city’s most dangerous criminals.
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    You only pasted half of the article. Here is the rest:

Strange how the Police never released that video of the threats he was making!

Even still he offered no real threat and had turned his back to the police when they opened fire.

No justification for his murder at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's amazing, they got him to cough after he was dead,
    But it wouldn't be surprising if they Cuffed him after dearth
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that rule also comes into play if the officer has his gun out due to the man with the knife being able to traverse the distance quick enough that if he was shot his momentum would carry him forward and he could still stab the cop.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Unfortunate outcome but, y'know, when you argue with armed cops for 3 hours and then pull a knife as an unarmed cop approaches you, it's probably not going to end well.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that rule also comes into play if the officer has his gun out due to the man with the knife being able to traverse the distance quick enough that if he was shot his momentum would carry him forward and he could still stab the cop.

TBH, a lot of that stuff is a little bit dubious because it usually relies on the idea of somebody with a knife attacking a person who's unaware or unprepared.
    There's certainly a lot of truth to it in that sort of situation but it's not the sort of thing you'd want to try against a person who's already got a gun aimed at you.

And then there's the fact that a 5.56mm bullet is carrying upwards of 1,300 ft/lbs of energy when it hits you.
    That's enough energy to move a 1,300lb object 1ft, or move a 200lb object (like a person) roughly 6ft... in theory.
    A moving person will be carrying momentum of their own but, even so, a 5.56mm bullet (especially one of the expanding, hollow-point type favoured by police forces) is likely to impart enough energy to slow you right down.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to agree with the actual moment of him being shot, considering he was retreating at the time and appeared not to pose a direct threat at that moment.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Unfortunate outcome but, y'know, when you argue with armed cops for 3 hours and then pull a knife as an unarmed cop approaches you, it's probably not going to end well.
    I keep seeing replies like this lately, that deal in surface generalities without giving an actual opinion on the rights or wrongs of the story in question. What do you actually think, justified shooting or no?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    It's hard to agree with the actual moment of him being shot, considering he was retreating at the time and appeared not to pose a direct threat at that moment.
    I keep seeing replies like this lately, that deal in surface generalities without giving an actual opinion on the rights or wrongs of the story in question. What do you actually think, justified shooting or no?

But this is in America. Their laws are different to ours so it is difficult to answer your question.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well one can also trying speaking morally if their legal knowledge is lacking. But what kind of differences do you have in mind?
    Forum Member

Maybe people just don't care enough to be dragged into a moral argument based on the technical minutiae, but given the bigger picture, are unsurprised that events turned out the way they did.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have guns, will shoot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Maybe people just don't care enough to be dragged into a moral argument based on the technical minutiae, but given the bigger picture, are unsurprised that events turned out the way they did.
    Might've known that would catch your attention!
    Forum Member
    Might've known that would catch your attention!

The neverending story that is the Mark Duggan thread might be for you if you want to argue the toss over every last detail in cases like these? Fill yer boots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ on a cruise, I'm not that obsessive, I just think an actual opinion or two would stir some discussion more than ethereal observances that really don't say much of anything at all.
    Forum Member
    Christ on a cruise, I'm not that obsessive, I just think an actual opinion or two would stir some discussion more than ethereal observances that really don't say much of anything at all.

I think people are just apathetic towards this stuff. There was a guy in a US court the other day who was on trial for murder and made a lunge towards the witnesses, so the presiding US marshal in the room pulled his gun out and blasted him. Dead. Maybe other means could have been employed to restrain him, but hey ho, that's the way it goes.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    It's difficult to see did he actually have a knife when they shot him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I think people are just apathetic towards this stuff.
    I suppose it's that that struck me. I generally don't bother with stuff I'm apathetic about, rather than going out my way to make a comment showing off my apathy to the world.