Options

Is North East Wales more English than Welsh?

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I lived in Wrexham, North Wales for 18 years and noticed a lot of people seem to be English like me. North East Wales is right next to Cheshire, Shropshire and parts of The Wirral plus is only a 50 minute drive to Liverpool.

A lot of people around Wrexham and Flintshire seem to have slightly scouse accents too.

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue it both ways.
    That's true of any border area anywhere, they become a melting pot.
    The national languages of Switzerland are German, French and Italian (and Romansch) because they border all three.
    Belgium has French, Dutch and German as official languages.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed a lot of Liverpudlians and Scousers in Deeside, Flintshire.

In Wrexham I was suprised to hear a few people speaking Welsh - I'd say Wrexham is quite 'Welsh' in character despite it's very close proximity to the border, as opposed to Deeside.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate wrexham it's turned in to a right dump of the last 10 years, Eagles meadow can piss off too
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue it both ways.
    That's true of any border area anywhere, they become a melting pot.
    The national languages of Switzerland are German, French and Italian (and Romansch) because they border all three.
    Belgium has French, Dutch and German as official languages.

but the areas you mention aren't melting pots. In Switzerland the German, French and Italian speakers don't all live mixed together; the country is divided into very separate regions; German-speaking, French-speaking etc. You literally go from one village which is French speaking then you've entered the German region where the next village won't have French speakers at all. Belgium is the same...a language border cuts the country in half: either side of it is totally one language or the other (with only a bit of mixing around Brussels). I'm surprised when crossing borders in Europe that the switch from one language to another is so sudden and so total in most cases.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I hate wrexham it's turned in to a right dump of the last 10 years, Eagles meadow can piss off too

I've camped at Plassey campsite in Wrexham a couple of times, thought it was a nice place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vauxhall, I didn't mean the whole of those countries are a melting pot.
    I mean you can find differing languages depending on the border locality where they blend. And I'll bet they have local "peculiarities" that don't fit the national norm.
    To a South Walian, or to me anyway, the North Walian accent is hard and guttural.
    I used to think it was close to Scouse but it's just as likely that Scouse is derivative of North Walian.
    When I was a teenager in Swansea, and in town on a Saturday night, I could identify accents from as nearby as Neath, Llanelli, Merthyr and Carmarthen.
    Cardiff was positively bloody foreign.
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find wrexham is pretty welsh. I have heard welsh spoke there loads.

However, North wrexham and south wrexham are just full on welsh. A different accent for each village even if the next village is a ten minute walk away.

The rhos accent is the worst accent I've ever heard spoken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find wrexham is pretty welsh. I have heard welsh spoke there loads.

However, North wrexham and south wrexham are just full on welsh. A different accent for each village even if the next village is a ten minute walk away.

The rhos accent is the worst accent I've ever heard spoken.

Are you a "local"? :)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've camped at Plassey campsite in Wrexham a couple of times, thought it was a nice place.

Ha, I've camped there too :D

It's a small old world!
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Ha, I've camped there too :D

It's a small old world!

Indeed! We may even have shared a vino or two!
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you a "local"? :)

No. I'm from just over the border in Cheshire. Live on the otherside of Canada now.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Welsh Flight.'

Damn social migrants taking Welsh jobs. :(
  • Options
    rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrexham is a strange one as regards welshness.
    A good portion of people have welsh names, but when i worked in the area i hardly heard welsh spoken there. If i did it was mostly the older generation or people who had moved there to live.
    The street names use olde welsh spelling (stryt instead of stryd)
    however if you ask for gwersyllt or caergwrle you'd get no respone. you have to ask for gwer silt or cai girlie, which is how non welsh speakers would pronounce them.
    They are people who love and are proud of being welsh, and by my experience are very friendly.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    I lived in Wrexham, North Wales for 18 years and noticed a lot of people seem to be English like me. North East Wales is right next to Cheshire, Shropshire and parts of The Wirral plus is only a 50 minute drive to Liverpool.

A lot of people around Wrexham and Flintshire seem to have slightly scouse accents too.

I wouldn't say scouse, I'd say sound more like Polish... :D
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member

I've lived in Wrexham all my life (51 yrs) and I agree with you, it is a dump, Eagles Meadow has killed the town.
    All thanks to the crap council.... >:(