Fans call for Iceland to sack Peter Andre after his joke about appearing in adverts.

Comments

• Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I read an article In the food section of a magazine that said a panel of foodies had done a blind taste test on mince pies and Iceland's luxury mince pies had come top, beating loads of other well known brands and some posh ones. Harrods's had come second! I went and got some to see. I've not tried them yet, but I'm not expecting to be disappointed.
    Our nearest Iceland is over 10 miles away so i only go rarely, when other business takes me nearby. However, whenever i have bought something from them i've always found it to be pretty good and very good value. They should stop getting Z listers to promote their products and maybe use "blind taste" survey results instead!

Totally agree re BIB, why we would we trust an Ad campaign that claims the Z lister fronting it shops there when the chances of that are slim to zero.
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why on earth not? I would laugh my socks off if it did. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree re BIB, why we would we trust an Ad campaign that claims the Z lister fronting it shops there when the chances of that are slim to zero.

There are loads of advertising campaigns fronted by people who probably dont buy or use the product or sevice they are promoting. Why is it any different because its PA....oh because you happen to dislike him. Shame .
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's being tipped for the top of the charts
    By completely impartial member of the public, Ms C Powell.

Seriously, it it sells more than about 2000 copies and reaches the top 40, I'll be very surprised
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member

That's one of awkward pieces I ever read, I would feels sorry for some staff listen to it repeat if true!
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I braved an episode of I'm A Zeleb last night whilst making a harder-than-it-looks Christmas display and had half an eye on Camp Charlie (well, ear really) and butchy Mel, who comes across as alright out there in her element.

I'm going to say nowt about Kendra making OTT orgasm noises right the way through doing a simple star-collecting task and instead mention that dear old Pete was on nearly every advert break doing his Iceland routine round the family Christmas table.

It's great that they've been able to shoehorn the new Prawn Ring King Pete inbetween his beloved ex reality show I'm A Celeb, real independent thought process by the advertisers and studio bosses there.
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I read an article In the food section of a magazine that said a panel of foodies had done a blind taste test on mince pies and Iceland's luxury mince pies had come top, beating loads of other well known brands and some posh ones. Harrods's had come second! I went and got some to see. I've not tried them yet, but I'm not expecting to be disappointed.
    Our nearest Iceland is over 10 miles away so i only go rarely, when other business takes me nearby. However, whenever i have bought something from them i've always found it to be pretty good and very good value. They should stop getting Z listers to promote their products and maybe use "blind taste" survey results instead!

This is actually a really good point.
    I think that the problem for Iceland is that they already had a pretty low-rent image - whether it was deserved or not. If some of their products are actually as good as the blind taste test appears to show, it seems a real shame that they can't rely on the quality of their produce, and have reduced themselves to promoting a sleazy, cheesy z-lister instead.

sidsgirl wrote: »
    There are loads of advertising campaigns fronted by people who probably dont buy or use the product or sevice they are promoting. Why is it any different because its PA....oh because you happen to dislike him. Shame .

Yes there are.
    But the really obvious difference is that unlike the Iceland ads - That's why Peter goes to Iceland - I can't think of an ad where the people advertising them pretend to use the product when they don't
    For example, Ant and Dec don't pretend that they go to Morrisons - they simply advertise the supermarket and its products.
    All adverts have a certain amount of over-embellishment and flannel in them.
    It's just that the Iceland one is based on a big fat fib.

Blondie X wrote: »
    By completely impartial member of the public, Ms C Powell.

Seriously, it it sells more than about 2000 copies and reaches the top 40, I'll be very surprised

Who purely by coincidence, has pre-ordered 5000 copies of Jingle Bellendania.

I've just noticed that the title of Tangoman's exclusive-to-Iceland vomtastic Christmas offering is called "Christmas Time's for Family".
    Really Peter?
    Is it?
    And all this time there was I thinking that Christmas was for the poor, the lonely, the homeless and the vulnerable.
    He really is an utter ****.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

Me too.:D

Realistically though it's pretty unlikely. For one thing, it probably wont get any radio play, another thing, there are some popular big name artists also releasing songs at the same time.

So, faced with the stiff competition and having no radio play it wont happen IMO.

Tbh, I think Iceland made a big mistake by using the "That's why Peter goes to Iceland" line. Nobody is going to believe that.

When they employed KK, CN and SS to promote their stores they used the line "That's why mums go to Iceland".

Now they have employed a male to front the ads they probably should have just changed it to- That's why dads go to Iceland. Maybe they might not have received quite so much criticism.

JMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually a really good point.
    I think that the problem for Iceland is that they already had a pretty low-rent image - whether it was deserved or not. If some of their products are actually as good as the blind taste test appears to show, it seems a real shame that they can't rely on the quality of their produce, and have reduced themselves to promoting a sleazy, cheesy z-lister instead.

Yes there are.
    But the really obvious difference is that unlike the Iceland ads - That's why Peter goes to Iceland - I can't think of an ad where the people advertising them pretend to use the product when they don't
    For example, Ant and Dec don't pretend that they go to Morrisons - they simply advertise the supermarket and its products.
    All adverts have a certain amount of over-embellishment and flannel in them.
    It's just that the Iceland one is based on a big fat fib.

Who purely by coincidence, has pre-ordered 5000 copies of Jingle Bellendania.

I've just noticed that the title of Tangoman's exclusive-to-Iceland vomtastic Christmas offering is called "Christmas Time's for Family".
    Really Peter?
    Is it?
    And all this time there was I thinking that Christmas was for the poor, the lonely, the homeless and the vulnerable.
    He really is an utter ****.

If you listen to one of the ads, you will hear Dec say to Ant 'put it in the trolley Ant'. Does that not suggest to you that they are indeed purchasing that product?

It happens in lots of ads, so why you are just singling Pete out l dont know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    Tbh, I think Iceland made a big mistake by using the "That's why Peter goes to Iceland" line. Nobody is going to believe that.

When they employed KK, CN and SS to promote their stores they used the line "That's why mums go to Iceland".

Now they have employed a male to front the ads they probably should have just changed it to- That's why dads go to Iceland. Maybe they might not have received quite so much criticism.

JMO.

Possibly for the first time ever, I completely agree with you :o

The ads DO promote the fib that Pete does indeed shop at Iceland. Had they continued with the Mums theme but just had Peter fronting the campaign, it would have been totally different imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    Me too.:D

Realistically though it's pretty unlikely. For one thing, it probably wont get any radio play, another thing, there are some popular big name artists also releasing songs at the same time.

So, faced with the stiff competition and having no radio play it wont happen IMO.

JMO.

Completely agree Nicola.
    The whole basic premise of the ads is based on a fib - the fib being that Peter Andre shops in Iceland.
    Because he clearly doesn't.

If you listen to one of the ads, you will hear Dec say to Ant 'put it in the trolley Ant'. Does that not suggest to you that they are indeed purchasing that product?

No it doesn't.
    It suggests they are pretending to do some shopping ( I believe that some people call it acting ).
    Nowhere does it claim that Ant and/or Dec actually do their real-life shopping in Morrisons.
    But it clearly does claim that Peter Andre shops in Iceland.
    And therein lies the difference. He's singled himself out. By fibbing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that the title of Tangoman's exclusive-to-Iceland vomtastic Christmas offering is called "Christmas Time's for Family"..

Will it be accompanied with a heartwarming video showing the kids pretending it's Christmas Day and opening shedloads of extravagant gifts (which are taken back to Argos after filming) while his camera shy fiancée looks on lovingly?
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Will it be accompanied with a heartwarming video showing the kids pretending it's Christmas Day and opening shedloads of extravagant gifts (which are taken back to Argos after filming) while his camera shy fiancée looks on lovingly?

Did he did that last year in October?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't answer for anyone else, but for me, PA's iceland ads are on a par with Kerry Katona's. Both of them utterly desperate, talentless and on their uppers. At least Ant & Dec are on the top of their game, but most of the Iceland protagonists - KK, PA, Stacey Solomon, Jason Donovan et al - are flailing around, long past their best and desperate for musical credibility - which is way beyond them.

JMVHO.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't answer for anyone else, but for me, PA's iceland ads are on a par with Kerry Katona's. Both of them utterly desperate, talentless and on their uppers. At least Ant & Dec are on the top of their game, but most of the Iceland protagonists - KK, PA, Stacey Solomon, Jason Donovan et al - are flailing around, long past their best and desperate for musical credibility - which is way beyond them.

JMVHO.

Agree. They are without integrity. Although Katona did at least look like she lived on Iceland food (her constant trips to the liposuctioners were not a ringing endorsement) Pa is the epitome of someone who takes to cash but would not ever actually use the product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it doesn't.
    It suggests they are pretending to do some shopping ( I believe that some people call it acting ).

Nowhere does it claim that Ant and/or Dec actually do their real-life shopping in Morrisons.
    But it clearly does claim that Peter Andre shops in Iceland.
    And therein lies the difference. He's singled himself out. By fibbing.

Oh, so, they are pretending to the consumers that they shop in Morrisons. Deceit eh, thats ok then is it. How hypocritical. No difference imo to what you are accusing Pete of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JMVHO.

You must be joking :D You think Pete is on his 'uppers' do you:o. Come back with that when he goes bankrupt 2/3 times like Katona.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be joking :D You think Pete is on his 'uppers' do you:o. Come back with that when he goes bankrupt 2/3 times like Katona.

He might have money in the bank - thanks to reducing himself to downmarket advertisements - but he is hardly a successful and credible artist at the top of his game like Ant & Dec.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

Actually, so would I, it would be hilarious:D

There is that but I've yet to hear any of them state as a fact that the celeb they use to front their campaign actually shops there or uses the product they're trying to flog.

Yes you're totally correct, I really dislike PA but on this occasion, my issue is with Iceland, not him, if he's happy allowing Iceland to make him look ridiculous for the sake of £££££ then that's entirely up to him.
    What is irritating, is the stupid..........."that's why Pete goes to Iceland" comment that appears in every advert, it's just not remotely believable, imo.
    As a matter of interest, do you think PA shops in Iceland?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, so, they are pretending to the consumers that they shop in Morrisons. Deceit eh, thats ok then is it. How hypocritical. No difference imo to what you are accusing Pete of.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all.
    They are acting.
    If Morrisons were using the tagline "That's why Ant and Dec go to Morrisons" then I suspect that many people would have the same issue as they do with the "That's why Peter goes to Iceland" claim.
    Ant and Dec are likeable and successful, and are promoting the Morrisons brand as a whole. They are not claiming that they themselves shop there.
    But Iceland ARE claiming that Peter Andre shops in Iceland - not just as an aside, but as the central idea around which the entire campaign is based.
    And it's rubbish. Iceland know it ( now PA has seen fit to let everyone know what an embarrassment it is for him to be associated with them ), PA knows it, and we know it too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    This thread is hilarious!

All the faux outrage and handkerchief holding to the eyes because Peter Andre has the nerve to front an ad campaign. It's advertising! Not rocket science.

Yes, they use his name - that is what they pay him for. If you want to get outraged by that then I think you need acquainting with the real world.

No, it has not backfired at all because of the coverage. In fact, I would guess that this is probably their most successful campaign yet - coupled with the good reviews that some of their products are getting in blind taste tests.

If you want another 'we hate PA' thread, why not make one - it's always good for a laugh. But to get hysterical because somebody who is paid to say the words that a scriptwriter has said, actually says the words, is rather daft.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is hilarious!

All the faux outrage and handkerchief holding to the eyes because Peter Andre has the nerve to front an ad campaign. It's advertising! Not rocket science.

Yes, they use his name - that is what they pay him for. If you want to get outraged by that then I think you need acquainting with the real world.

No, it has not backfired at all because of the coverage. In fact, I would guess that this is probably their most successful campaign yet - coupled with the good reviews that some of their products are getting in blind taste tests.

If you want another 'we hate PA' thread, why not make one - it's always good for a laugh. But to get hysterical because somebody who is paid to say the words that a scriptwriter has said, actually says the words, is rather daft.

Well said Devil's custard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are acting.
    If Morrisons were using the tagline "That's why Ant and Dec go to Morrisons" then I suspect that many people would have the same issue as they do with the "That's why Peter goes to Iceland" claim.
    Ant and Dec are likeable and successful, and are promoting the Morrisons brand as a whole. They are not claiming that they themselves shop there.
    But Iceland ARE claiming that Peter Andre shops in Iceland - not just as an aside, but as the central idea around which the entire campaign is based.
    And it's rubbish. Iceland know it ( now PA has seen fit to let everyone know what an embarrassment it is for him to be associated with them ), PA knows it, and we know it too.

So is Pete!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are acting.

So is Pete
This discussion has been closed.