Hollyoaks had best Christmas episode for me

hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
Forum Member
✭✭
I know most people here have probably already discussed it as it was on Christmas Eve, but i've just watched the christmas day episode of Hollyoaks (and i've also watched the other big 3 episodes) and for me it was the best of the four christmas day episodes.

It was full of fun and happiness, shock, sadness, tears, laughter, warmth etc

The stuff with Sienna and Dodger was brilliant. Yes I know they keep going there with Sienna, but the stuff between those two is great, seeing the true emotion between them, and the flashbacks of her childhood was so upsetting.

The wedding stuff, yes it was silly, but it was fun and warm at the same time, they didn't go too over the top with the cringe factor like they usually do. For once a wedding went without a hitch (once the two grooms got there that is). The party was again silly but light-hearted.

The stuff with Cindy and Dirk, Holly and Jason was nice and their last scene was great, to finally have them altogether and happy.

And of course it wouldn't be Hollyoaks without a shock and stunt with the car crash, and then the final scene with Will back!

I did like Eastenders episode, although it didn't shock or move me nearly as much as I thought it would, and I thought a lot of it was very predictable (shirley shouting out that Dean was Micks brother at the end, yawn). Corrie was just same old Corrie, forced comedy and boring storylines (Only saving grace was Sally and family).
Emmerdale I did enjoy, but nothing really stood out as such, it was a decent episode but nothing to make Christmas soap history.

So for me Hollyoaks had the best episode. What do others think?

Comments

• grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree I wasn't expecting to enjoy hollyoaks but I did for once they combined happiness and sadder things well and most of the characters in it were great. But I still think new years is going to be awful.
    Corrie was incredibly dull
    EastEnders as I said a few times underwhelming and predictable but certainly much better than Coronation Street.
    Didn't watch emmerdale.
  • ofthenightofthenight Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I loved the episode! At Christmas, I think there should be a mixture of fun and drama instead of just pure misery. I think Hollyoaks did that perfectly this year. The John Paul and Ste stuff was fun and sweet and the Dirk and Cindy scenes were really nice.

The scene with Sienna and Dodger in the basement was very emotional and almost had me in tears. It really showed off Anna Passey and Danny Mac's acting ability. Sinead being hit by the car was a good twist and I was literally shocked by Will's return!

Overall I think it was the best soap this Christmas.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with Emmerdale in second...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks was definitely the best soap.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed HO too. It had a heart felt warmth to it. It had drama, comedy, light hearted scenes, family scenes too. It was all formed of different genre to form a nice Christmas episode. The Sienna stuff stood out and I loved the flashbacks and they way she plays her charcater. It's so hard not to feel for her. Loved the Will scene at the end. I know my many people are looking foward to his return but I am and can't wait to see how he makes a impact on his family, can't wait for his scenes with Sienna too. Roll on 2015 and te New Year special. Hope the Roscoe stuff will actually be good. There's a rumour about a Mercedes twist in that episode so hopefully that will have her in it too.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, it's nice to see positive comments about HO on here. :)
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its great to see others agree and HO getting the praise it deserves.

We all know HO does have some terrible moments and some moments you just want to forget, but it also has some truly amazing moments and some great episodes.
  • fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »
    Also, it's nice to see positive comments about HO on here. :)

I havent watched the episodes yet but I agree with you that its good to see positive comments about Hollyoaks, I've got so bored with the posts on here recently
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually really enjoyed the Hollyoaks Christmas Episode. Roscoe free but it was full of comedy & light hearted warm moments alongside the Sienna & Dodger scenes which included the flashbacks. They were great & really showed off Anna Passey's & Danny Mac's acting skills.

I didn't expect the twist with Sinead being run over, but obviously this is Hollyoaks so there has to be a twist. And Will returning too in the final scene, shockers!

Well done Hollyoaks for the Christmas Episode, I enjoyed it more than dire CS or ED.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,741
    Forum Member
    It was probably one of their best episodes this year. For once there was decent character interaction, with warmth and heart., and it was paced and plotted well. The ending was good, as the episode had built towards a climax of sorts with Sienna/Dodger, so it didn't seem too OTT.

I still think they could strip more away and get to the core of the stories and characters better without too much reliance on convolution (the Sinead/Ste/Tony stuff), but it was still a strong effort.
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the Christmas episode as well. I thought it was very entertaining and had the right mix of elements for a Christmas special. I am looking forward to the New Years special. Not a big fan of Joe or Freddie, but I do like the younger Roscoes. We'll have to see what happens.
  • winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode towards the end, despite a slow start it was good. I'd like to see more one hour specials as they allow things to be spaced out and not crammed into half an hour.
  • ReoReo Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    I feel mixed about it, the second half was better. I really don't care for JP or Ste's marriage, they are not good for each other. Tony ruining everyone's Christmas just weeks after Cindy rejoined the family after being in hospital showed how pathetic and selfish he is.

But I did like the Sienna and Dodger scenes, very sad what happened to Sienna and what could have been. They just now need to get her into therapy instead of trying to keep Sienna as a baddie and have a few sympathetic scenes here and there.

I loved that Dirk proposed! Hopefully they will have a good wedding with no cheating or anything that could cause them to split. That snow machine was certainly worth it with the amount of area it covered.

I really don't want to see Will back and I don't like they have brought him in right at the end to be the reason why Dodger leaves (dead or alive), he had enough going on throughout the year to give him reason to leave. But I do like the Blakes/Savages, so more screen time for them makes me look forward to the episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks has been improving a lot recently, i must give it that. However it still has those moments that show how bad it got there in 2014. e.g Maxine's abuse continuing, everything they did to Tony e.t.c

I liked the Christmas episode, you could tell they put a lot into it and that's what separates it from the other soaps.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Loved Dirk proposing.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    I've just caught up with it and did think it was very good this year. As others have said, the Sienna stuff is repetitive but i just think PaSsey plays her so well and I like the little glimpses into her childhood so I still find it interesting. The Wedding party was funny, I'm enjoying Cameron and Lachie as new characters and thought all the main characters got a decent crack of the whip re air time.

The only annoying thing was Sinead being a selfish, spiteful beatch (Ste was spot on, she wasn't going to tell him when she stood to lose Tony over it, now that's happened she needs him to 'step up' and doesn't care if it ruins his marriage) but then that is Sinead.
  • becsiebecsie Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watched the boxing day ep of eastenders as well as HO so cant really comment on the others. Hollyoaks was good andt the writing and directing were clever in the way they used music and added scenes of young sienna and dodger.
    The actual wedding was beautifully done and the proposel between cindy and dirk was so sweet. Also jason getting cindys and hollys support.

Despite the freddie/lindsey story i do like the other roscoes so look forward to new years aswell. Mainly for jasons storyline and how that is going to continue...hopefully with some mentions from the family.

Eastenders seemed to be the usual...family secrets coming out then everyone is in the pub when an announcement is made etc.
  • Foxworth_CraneFoxworth_Crane Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    EastEnders was "dramatic," but I found Hollyoaks far more "entertaining" overall. It just hit a lot of right notes for a holiday episode.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I do worry about the New Year's Episode for HO, as it's centred around the most irritating characters. The only ray of hope is that one of those characters may be offed.

It's funny because even at their worst I still like the Blakes but some characters I can't stand even when they're not being particularly bad. Lindsey is despicable; at least Freddie doesn't have a fiancee and very young baby to take care of, whereas Lindsey will neglect her child for the prospect of a quickie with her brother-in-law before the fiancee gets home. It's like turning down a home-cooked steak to go out and get a McDonalds.