If aliens arrived tomorrow .....

MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you be excited or scared ?

Apart from the obvious WTF moment do you think (whether they mingled or just visited then left) it would affect the way you personally live your life to any extent ?

I'm a believer in life out there somewhere but if they did arrive here I reckon my initial excitement would eventually give way to worrying about their intentions.

Comments

• DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're already here and i'm scared.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say I would be bricking it lol.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're already here and i'm scared.

Ands taking our jobs and homes. :rolleyes::D
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one would take them seriously. Hollywood film. Spoof. Set up. It would be hard for them to convince us of who they were.

Of course there's nothing stopping us putting them in the England cricket team. Been doing that for years.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be fascinated.

If it turned out nasty, and they were intent on conquest, then I'd use the resulting chaos to settle a few scores with home grown enemies, before worrying about our extra terrestrial overlords :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    History tells us that it probably wouldn't turn out well for us.

But... maybe we could hope that any civilisation which is advanced enough to travel here, would also be equally advanced in their consideration for other species. That might be rather naive though...
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But... maybe we could hope that any civilisation which is advanced enough to travel here, would also be equally advanced in their consideration for other species.

...or they might be very, very hungry....:eek:
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...or they might be very, very hungry....:eek:

I'd take them to McDonalds
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »

I was thinking more of blasting McDonalds leaflets into space. That would stop ANYONE travelling here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »

They would either zap you with a ray gun if you did that, or give you a slap on the back whilst ordering another double bacon cheeseburger.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Gawge wrote: »
    History tells us that it probably wouldn't turn out well for us.

But... maybe we could hope that any civilisation which is advanced enough to travel here, would also be equally advanced in their consideration for other species. That might be rather naive though...

They could easily have colonial attitudes, particularly if they never experienced the same social evolution that we have, and decide to invade Earth to control humans for our 'benefit.'
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...or they might be very, very hungry....

I was thinking more of the old scifi story "To Serve Man"...

...that turned out to be the title of an Alien recipe book! :eek:
    Forum Member
    I was thinking more of the old scifi story "To Serve Man"...

...that turned out to be the title of an Alien recipe book! :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIufLRpJYnI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    I was thinking more of blasting McDonalds leaflets into space. That would stop ANYONE travelling here.

:D Good plan

I was just thinking how they would eat a Big Mac if they had those long fingers with suckers on the end
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    They would either zap you with a ray gun if you did that, or give you a slap on the back whilst ordering another double bacon cheeseburger.

I prefer the latter, I'm an optimist :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon if they have the capacity to get here they will have evolved to such an extent they would be benign.
    Without a doubt they will have been around at least a billion years more than us.
    To do so they would have gone through the evolutionary nightmare that is religion, war, racism etc.

What fascinates me is that I cannot imagine aliens having a form we would recognise. We assume they would be carbon based like us, but why?

The maths suggest there is life out there in it's multitude.

I hope it becomes apparent in my lifetime. Equally I hope that our governments will react appropriately. The info about Us presidents having deals with aliens is interesting if you fancy getting into conspiracy areas.

Bring 'em on I say.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Would the jubilee still be the top story?
  • zamba hamsterzamba hamster Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd become excited then scream and run
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    If aliens arrived tomorrow .....and they said "Take me to your leader" then I'd be happy to direct them to the current de facto world leader in the White House in Washington DC. I would have been reluctant to do that during the period 2001 to 2009. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reckon if they have the capacity to get here they will have evolved to such an extent they would be benign.
    Without a doubt they will have been around at least a billion years more than us.
    To do so they would have gone through the evolutionary nightmare that is religion, war, racism etc.

What fascinates me is that I cannot imagine aliens having a form we would recognise. We assume they would be carbon based like us, but why?

I hope it becomes apparent in my lifetime. Equally I hope that our governments will react appropriately. The info about Us presidents having deals with aliens is interesting if you fancy getting into conspiracy areas.

Bring 'em on I say.

Being serious and having had this type of discussion before, I do feel that there is some form of life out there, we have only scratched the surface so to speak Maybe there are others out there who have only done the same themselves or have gone or are coming nearer.

It fascinates me to think about it and scares me too
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say hello.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd become excited then scream and run

Sounds like the last girl I sexually entertained...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bring 'em on I say.

The thing is, if they were so much more advanced than us, we could assume that they would also be vastly more evolved.

We are only evolved from other animals, and we wouldn't expect a chimp to understand many of the concepts which we do (let alone a pig, a fish or a spider). What is to say that a vastly more evolved alien race would deem us even remotely worth a second glance?
    Forum Member
    I've wondered if there was time in Earth's distant past when aliens visited but finding little of long term interest or something else was of greater interest to them, they left never to return.

It would be a bit of disappointing to discover that aliens had visited but we missed each other by several million years or so.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends if the looked like ET or the creature from Alien.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people would jump go to their deaths a lot more like tens of thousands or more in more religious countries. A. Big run on food and where allowed fire arms. Plenty of looting. Marshall law. Economic crash would make the current economic problems look like a walk in the park. Many people called up to the armed forces