Turret v mechanical push button TV tuners.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A different thread has got me wondering how the different systems worked.

I'm assuming that a turret just moved along the frequencies rather like a radio tuner, but how did the four (or more) pre set push buttons make the tuning connection?

To say they were mechanical, I never ever had any problems with them (even when as a child I used to play about with them). I found that having all four of them sticking out didn't produce anything but white noise, that you could press two in at once, that you could retune them by twisting the push button round and that making the button come back out slowly after a channel change often made it skim through one or two channels on the way back out 😈😀

All good fun abusing a television set as a kid, but how did it all work?

Convenience aside, which was the best tuner from a technical point of view?

Did they ever make any UHF or colour TV's with a turret tuner, or was this considered old fashioned by the time this technology was introduced?

Comments

• Robert__lawRobert__law Posts: 1,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in the 60s we had a 405 line Phillips TV it had the rotary knob with the channel numbers I remember this was very stiff to turn . In 1969 we got a Phillips 625 line set with 19inch screen it was monochrome and it had 4 push buttons for the channels these had to be tuned by turning the button until you got the right channel once it was on the screen you just pushed the button in for that channel there was no memory buttons to press to store the channel it had BBC1 , BBC2 and ITA 1 and ITA2 the old 405 line set did not need tuning as it was factory set and the channel numbers where on the outside of the dial

The 625 line set ended up with a faulty tuner which caused the picture to drift out you would see a black line at the side of the picture this was after about 5 years of use
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm assuming that a turret just moved along the frequencies rather like a radio tuner...
    Not really. It was a set of fixed channels which could only be adjusted by getting inside the tuner. This image shows the sort of thing it was. Each channel used two of those plastic clip-in "biscuits", inside each of which was a coil (or coils) with an adjustable metal core inside for fine tuning. As the knob was turned the whole barrel rotated and the studs on a pair of biscuits would come into contact with a set of springy metal leaves so that the coils were joined to the rest of the circuitry of the tuner.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the OP's last question, I was in 'the trade' up to 1989 and never saw a turret tuner on UHF. The contact resistance and other unpredictable effects would have been enough to cause poor resetability and drift.
    All early UHF tuners used a variable capacitor (several sections for the RF and local oscillator) and this could be turned via a continuously variable knob (usually geared down to ease tuning) or a four button preset mechanism which simply pushed the capacitor to a known position for each channel.
    Later tuners used electronic tuning (varicap diodes) which replaced the mechanical arrangements. Tuning was then by a simple rotary knob (which turned a carbon pot) or by a four or six-way push-button switch which selected pre-set voltages from four or six customer-settable miniature pots, often hidden behind a flap.
    Later systems used digital methods to store the tuning voltage for each channel.
    Happy days.....
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect that turret tuners evolved from their use in radio sets during WWII though those ones probably included the crystals. I would think sets were then just about exclusively made in the UK for the UK market.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    There were also incremental tuners, which were on a similar principle to turret tuners, but had a single strip of most of the components of each turret, with only the tuning biscuits switched into this turret strip circuit by the channel selector.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    them turrets gave a lovely mechanical thunk as you changed channels a very sensual pleasure .......
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A different thread has got me wondering how the different systems worked.

I'm assuming that a turret just moved along the frequencies rather like a radio tuner, but how did the four (or more) pre set push buttons make the tuning connection?

To say they were mechanical, I never ever had any problems with them (even when as a child I used to play about with them). I found that having all four of them sticking out didn't produce anything but white noise, that you could press two in at once, that you could retune them by twisting the push button round and that making the button come back out slowly after a channel change often made it skim through one or two channels on the way back out 😈😀

All good fun abusing a television set as a kid, but how did it all work?

Convenience aside, which was the best tuner from a technical point of view?

Did they ever make any UHF or colour TV's with a turret tuner, or was this considered old fashioned by the time this technology was introduced?
    the push buttons were each a long screw trimmer potentiometer which connected to varicap diode inside tuner .......
  • fedmanfedman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another type of tuner was used in the Bush TV53, a Band 1 (BBC) and Band 3 (ITA) set from the mid 1950's.
    This used a 'permibility' tuner which had brass or ferrite slugs sliding inside paxoline tubes on which the various tuning coils were wound. The rotary channel change control had steps which moved the slugs in or out to the required position for a particular channel. A slide switch operated to change from Band 1 to Band 3.
    Quite reliable as it didn't have so many critical contacts as the biscuit type tuner.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    Yet another type of tuner was used in the Bush TV53, a Band 1 (BBC) and Band 3 (ITA) set from the mid 1950's.
    This used a 'permibility' tuner which had brass or ferrite slugs sliding inside paxoline tubes on which the various tuning coils were wound. The rotary channel change control had steps which moved the slugs in or out to the required position for a particular channel. A slide switch operated to change from Band 1 to Band 3.
    Quite reliable as it didn't have so many critical contacts as the biscuit type tuner.

My grandmother had one like that, two buttons were band one and labeled BBC the other two were band three and labeled ITV. Most sets had a turret tuner, some rental sets only had two of the coil biscuits fitted, it you turned the knob the wrong way it bent all the tuner contacts, I did that on my uncle's set and it was stuck on ITV until the man came to fix it. The solution was to move the biscuits to adjacent positions and then just go back and forth between them.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fedman wrote: »
    This used a 'permibility' tuner which had brass or ferrite slugs sliding inside paxoline tubes on which the various tuning coils were wound.

Yes, I recall our DER rental set, the 4 UHF tuning buttons having ferrite tuning slugs in them, if you pushed one of them in further than its settling point, you'd go off tune, enough in some situations to see another channel
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    them turrets gave a lovely mechanical thunk as you changed channels a very sensual pleasure .......

Yes I do remember those. "Turn the telly over lad" thunk, thunk, thunk!:)
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early remote control sets, used to have motors fitted to their tuners so that when you pressed a button on the wired remote, the tuner would turn until it came to a peg which you inserted to tell it which channel to stop at.