Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    No. £25 each for breakfast. It was in Brussels. Hotels are extortionate there for what you get. Very small rooms. And the ratings system for their hotels is totally inaccurate. This 4 star hotel would be more like a 2 star in this country, if even that.

Aaah in Brussels. That's an awful lot of money and as I said before, no excuse to leave used bedlinen in place for new guests.
    Last week I posted a couple of links to tourist board ratings and it also talked about international ratings and how varied they are - some being tourist organisation ratings and some being government ratings and how you need to be sure what the standards are before you can reasonably compare.
    Unfortunately that's the name of the game very much like Come Dine with Me. If you get on with your host you're more likely to give food feedback. I'm with you, if I go to a B&B as long as they're polite and helpful I'm happy. I don't want or need to tell my life story.

That's definitely happened on tonight's scoring and in the defence of Toni's cooking at breakfast, although if I were there with a party of six and the one host come cook said that yes s/he could do any kind of egg, but they'd all be done separately and would that be ok, then it would be ok. It's a domestic situation and not a staffed kitchen after all, so you
    go with the flow.

All this hosting business is skewed though anyway, who goes out on 'activities' with the owner of a B&B? :rolleyes:
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    It seems odd that the B & B owners are judged so much on their personalities. How much interaction does anybody really want from a B & B owner? :confused: Whenever I've stayed in such an establishment, I've just wanted to be left alone, certainly not conversation at the crack of dawn.

I've stayed in quite a few B&Bs when on long distance walks and the best have been those that greet with tea & cake, leave us to get on with it and then later drop us off at the pub for eats & drinks.:)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the host should recommend places of interest for the other contestants and they have to try them out separately without the host, along with somewhere to stop off for refreshment and meet for dinner for a bit of banter.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Hated this whole week but tomorrow does look very interesting, tbh whoever screen tested these fools needs firing, Nobody is coming well out this mess :(

I too have not liked it. They must have decided to put all the charmless people in on 1 week. I dont think I will bother tomorrow.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of criticism of the two M&F couples. Personally, I don't think any the B&BERs this week have come across as particularly nice or able to take criticisim well. But I think the 2, older married couples have had a harder time on here than they deserve in comparision to the other B&Bers.

Yes, Louis is a boring old fusspot and Lorraine and her hubby have had plenty of crits to make. But so have Toni and Debbie & Karen.

Debbie and Karen have had a really good bitch about the others and have come across as sneering & aggressive at times. They were over defensive at Toni's and over-marked her simply because they liked her. A lot of what happens on 4IAB isn't objective and they certainly weren't.

Toni has had plenty to say in criticising the others. Thankfully, she did not let that influence her feedback of D&K's place. I think Toni has been the most truthful with her feedback. She didn't make allowances for the fact she likes the 2 girls. So far, I think D&K have been the worst this week for letting personal feelings influence their feedback and sleeping on the floor was just ridiculous. There were 2 beds in their room and neither was suitable? :rolleyes:
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    SolarSail wrote: »

There's reference somewhere to her children having left home and that's what the B&B rooms looked like to me, as though the rooms are theirs and ready for them to come back as and when, as opposed to letting rooms.
    I certainly didn't see any element of luxury there, I'd go for homely and welcoming (I expect, if you were a paying guest)

Good observation Solar, that's exactly what the rooms looked like.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,814
    Forum Member
    People appearing have watched previous shows and have their lines prepared which have become repetitive.

For example if a person gives a low vote they are automatically said to be 'playing a game' or being 'tactical'.

Over the present series the norm seems to be to almost strip a room completely looking for dirt and pubic hair.

The programme has become more about the contestants than the hotels.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    25 quid. I find that hard to believe. In all my time business and pleasure travelling 21 euro was the most i have come across (although on business i went to the local shop instead).

£25 for breakfast?! The absolute best bargain I ever had was staying in a pub/hotel last year up in Beverley. Booked online for £25 for a double room with breakfast so wasn't expecting very much. I have to say it was outstanding! Sizeable room, very nicely and tastefully decorated room, extremely comfortable bed with very high quality bed linen, large bathroom and very good shower. I was shocked, as I regularly stay at hotels for work and my company corporate rate is still over £150 and this place far exceeded any of them. The breakfast was freshly cooked and excellent ingredients. They could easily have charged £100 for the room. Fantastic place.
  • David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizaj wrote: »
    If you are ever going up West Yorks way, I know a beautiful B&B in an old Victorian house , gorgeous beds, on suite, fantastic breakfast and doggie goes too.They love 'em.

Details please :)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    People appearing have watched previous shows and have their lines prepared which have become repetitive.

For example if a person gives a low vote they are automatically said to be 'playing a game' or being 'tactical'.

Over the present series the norm seems to be to almost strip a room completely looking for dirt and pubic hair.

That's why I'm not keen on these so called activities. I really would like to get a glimpse of the location some of the B&Bs are and the surrounding area. It will only be a tiny glimpse on a 30 min show, but better than a seance. For me visiting a location comes first, then I find somewhere to stay.
    Taking the room apart has become a bit panto now, wouldn't your normal guest only notice something by accident, not because they are hunting for it? I know there are some professional complainers out there and I don't mean them.
    If a place is really dirty, you won't have to remove the mattress and pull the furniture away from the wall to find it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    Details please :)

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g668054-d568686-Reviews-Five_Rise_Locks_Hotel-Bingley_Bradford_West_Yorkshire_England.html

I will say most of the reviews are good but it's true it's a bit of a warren. We stayed in a ground floor room through the breakfast room. I don't think it pretends to be in the country and there is nothing special about Bingley unless you are into visiting the Damart factory but Saltaire is nearby and Bradford if you are after curry. I haven't stayed there for a couple of years as I needed to stay nearer Saltaire as I travelled by train and chose the Ibis at Shipley which is perfectly OK for what it is. But we did enjoy our stay at the Five Rise Locks where the breakfast was lovely( and it's cr*p at the Ibis and we used to go to Saltare's lovely bakeshop.) I vist Saltaire twice a year and it's well worth a couple of nights for anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

Yep, it's all become a bit repetitive. I'm waiting for the episode with a new twist on pube gate and poached egg gate. The one where someone gets a poached egg garnished with pube! :eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi There sorry for the website mix up our website is www.thedukeofcornwall.net the other website is an old one we cannot get rid of (any ideas are welcome :) ) and Anthea was a previous lanlady and i will cover my tats in future :/ but there worth a read lol also we do have 2 businesses foliage and pub :)
    SolarSail wrote: »
    The Duke of Cornwall, St Austell

Described as a traditional pub, with separate dining room and six letting rooms.

Interestingly they price their rooms at the same rate all year round.
    Also interesting, there are only two ensuite rooms.

£60 per night for double room ensuite
    £50 per night with 'shower and sink'

I'm kind of reserving judgement on the comments, scores and game playing and seeing how it progresses this week.
    Low scores haven't always meant underpayments, or not by too much any way.
    I did think the room rate last night seemed steep for the area and what we saw, but as time goes on with this series, I'm finding it harder to 'read'
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Yep, it's all become a bit repetitive. I'm waiting for the episode with a new twist on pube gate and poached egg gate. The one where someone gets a poached egg garnished with pube! :eek::eek::eek:

served on a COLD plate :)
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Toni's B&B was lovely, but luxurious it certainly was not! Used soap in the rooms is not even acceptable imo, let alone luxurious!

I thought this week was quite good, I really don't get why people say they didn't enjoy it. Louis and Gino are most definitely up their own a*ses, but then again so is Toni a bit! And the two ladies were too ready to jump to her defense, even when it wasn't necessary, the others are entitled to their opinions!

I am looking forward to tomorrow's show, and I have to admit I really don't mind who wins, but I will say Windmill Cottage need to get bigger towels! :D
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its between Toni's place and The Mill Cottage but I think Toni might just edge it and get an overpayment from the girls.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Hello Karen and welcome :)

Despite what some people think we don't fawn over the owners who join this thread but strangely they're usually the ones we've liked and the others never find us.

Edit. And that weasel Lorraine called your place 'The Duke of Cornwell' and today's 'Appalleckian'. She's so up her own arse.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    It was £25 for breakfast. Why would I make something like that up? Do you want me to provide you the bill or something :rolleyes:

Oh grow up. No one is saying you are making it up.

It is a surprise, that is all.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Millenary wrote: »
    If Toni accepts dogs I would book with her immediately. By the way I know from experience that the only game players are the production team and editors. They have to turn 80 hours of filming into 5 x 25 mins and have to accentuate the contre-temps rather than the :D moments.

Which is even more annoying that they show the same bits over & over again, and in arty farty 1/2 colour.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    Surely if you're going to stay somewhere (other than a completely impersonal hotel - and the Welsh competitor this week does nudge that category) you would want to feel relaxed. The hosts do sometimes behave as if they're doing you a favour by allowing you to stay in their establishment and sometimes give the impression that they couldn't care less about you as long as you pay the bill. I personally take three things into account - the location and decor, the price, and the relax factor, which is largely dependent on the hosts. I would genuinely balk at paying £100 a night anywhere - unless it was for a really special occasion - so my opinions are always slightly skewed. That leaves me this week with deciding on the hosts - and that has to be Devon or Cornwall.

I think the girls leapt to Toni's defence because - like me - they are sick and tired of the patronising attitudes of the two cosy couples who appear to think that a single woman is disadvantaged and possibly has ideas above her station. Grrrrrr .....
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Oh grow up. No one is saying you are making it up.

It is a surprise, that is all.

Excuse me? You're the one who said you found it hard to believe I paid £25 for breakfast. In other words, I'm lying. Your nasty retort indicates you're the one who needs to grow up.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi There sorry for the website mix up our website is www.thedukeofcornwall.net the other website is an old one we cannot get rid of (any ideas are welcome :) ) and Anthea was a previous lanlady and i will cover my tats in future :/ but there worth a read lol also we do have 2 businesses foliage and pub :)
    Hi Karen and welcome.

I'm another one who doesn't like tats on display in a professional situation. The thing is, if someone likes tattoos, they won't be put off by them being covered.

If someone dislikes tattoos, they may be put off by them being on show.

In other words, you won't lose business because they are covered, you may (only may) lose business if they are not. But, of course, it somewhat depends who your target market is.

Re your new website, none of the photos are displaying (I'm using the Firefox browser ver 18.0.2). Also, if you want to make the accommodation more prominent on your website, I'd have it as the first "tab" after HOME rather than the last tab, far right.

Re getting rid of your old website, I've sent you a private message which you'll have to log in to access which gives you the details you need.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

Don't give the programme makers ideas like that. If it wasn't a little too tricky to arrange they might even consider it.
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Millenary wrote: »
    If Toni accepts dogs I would book with her immediately. By the way I know from experience that the only game players are the production team and editors. They have to turn 80 hours of filming into 5 x 25 mins and have to accentuate the contre-temps rather than the :D moments.

What makes you say that Millenary? Have you been on or worked on a similar programme?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    served on a COLD plate :)

Now that would be truly disgusting! ;)
    jamtamara wrote: »
    Don't give the programme makers ideas like that. If it wasn't a little too tricky to arrange they might even consider it.

I believe they are working on it as we speak!
This discussion has been closed.