Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    I assumed Sherwood was touchline banned. Thought you were going to do it at the end, would have liked you to have stayed in the competition for purely unselfish reasons.

Thankyou sir :)

Apparently Sherwood's decision was entirely voluntary.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly heartning by the end even with the standard shooting in the foot - Sandro's dozy pen.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we went out with our heads held high, damage was already done in the first leg though. I make that two assists by Harry Kane and an improving Chadli finds his shooting boots. Perhaps he could lend them to Soldado!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't imagine Chadli will play on Sunday but i'd like to see him let loose against Liverpool at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't imagine Chadli will play on Sunday but i'd like to see him let loose against Liverpool at least.
    He is looking more likely in recent games to contribute the odd goal than either Lennon or Townsend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    He is looking more likely in recent games to contribute the odd goal than either Lennon or Townsend.

But maybe he's not Timmy's type of player though ?
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Should have had a penalty there a few mins ago ref bottled it
    spurs second was offside, but thats them breaks you get
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spurs second was offside, but thats them breaks you get
    We could do with some more 'fortunate' decisions' having had a few wrongly go against us recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But maybe he's not Timmy's type of player though ?
    Whilst he favours Lennon then I guess not but we are short on players who offer a goal threat.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    I guess most teams take the foot off when 3 goals to the good, but it did end up flattering us after what was, generally speaking, a pretty embarassing first 160 minutes.

Nice outfit Benfica, very well organised and committed, smart match plans.
  • Options
    The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Nice outfit Benfica, very well organised and committed, smart match plans.

c**t of a manager though.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the game as was working but from what I've read, it wasn't as close as the final scoreline suggested. At least we didn't get embarrassed and some of our players, especially Bentaleb, Fryers, Kane and Chadli at least turned up, more than we can say about our skipper on the night!

The lack of goal threat is particularly worrying going into these last few games of the season. We need to address this in the summer by bringing in at least two more wide midfielders with a bit of intelligence and creativity. I believe Soldado will come good with more consistent service, it should also help to remotivate him and help get his confidence back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think two quick goals like that are probably more indicative of a lucky break and capitalising on the confusion afterwards in a way.

Don't get me wrong, to come away with a 2-2 draw after Benfica haven't conceded a goal in 9 games is an achievement in itself, but i'd probably agree that it wasn't really a case of us dominating the game or anything like that.

Sherwood, not unsurprisingly, thinks his "rant" did the players the world of good and that they're all behind him now.

I personally think 6th would be a good compromise. It would mean we'd still haven a half decent league placing at the end of the season but it would also mean we'd have failed to qualify for any form of european football which would hopefully lead to Sherwood being given his papers.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    he actually claimed we had Benfica right where we wanted them, and that now no team would want to play us after that performance. his delusion is actually worrying...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    he actually claimed we had Benfica right where we wanted them, and that now no team would want to play us after that performance. his delusion is actually worrying...

can you imagine what he'll be like if we beat liverpool ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see our neighbours can get a tanking too, especially on such a special occasion for their manager!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Good to see our neighbours can get a tanking too, especially on such a special occasion for their manager!

i was coming back from the shop today and looked out of the window and though "Hhmmm .. there's quite a blue sky out there" .. how right i was ;)

Here's a thought .. what happens if Chelsea win the Champions League again?

Does that mean 4th place drops into the Europa League, even though they might also win the title ?

That would be the icing on the cake :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well United move to within 2 points of us now I see. Lose tomorrow and it's anyone's guess where we'll end up.
  • Options
    PeedubPeedub Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    i was coming back from the shop today and looked out of the window and though "Hhmmm .. there's quite a blue sky out there" .. how right i was ;)

Here's a thought .. what happens if Chelsea win the Champions League again?

Does that mean 4th place drops into the Europa League, even though they might also win the title ?

That would be the icing on the cake :D

Why would Chelsea winning the Champions League drop 4th place into the Europa League?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peedub wrote: »
    Why would Chelsea winning the Champions League drop 4th place into the Europa League?

That's why I asked the question - I don't know. It's happened before when they won it under DiMatteo and we got knocked in to the Europa League, so I'm wondering if that will happen again if they win the Premiership & Champions League together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's why I asked the question - I don't know. It's happened before when they won it under DiMatteo and we got knocked in to the Europa League, so I'm wondering if that will happen again if they win the Premiership & Champions League together.

Oh gotcha.
    No I think that was actually because Chelsea finished outside the top 4 that year. Therefore as Champions League winners, automatically qualified along with Man City as Premier winners, Man U as runners up and Arsenal in third.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peedub wrote: »
    Oh gotcha.
    No I think that was actually because Chelsea finished outside the top 4 that year. Therefore as Champions League winners, automatically qualified along with Man City as Premier winners, Man U as runners up and Arsenal in third.

I did think of something though - if Chelsea won the Champions League and won the Premiership as well, would it not be more likely that Champions League qualification could then move down a spot from 2nd to 5th with 6th becoming Europa League ?

So, for the sake of argument, if current league placings stood, Chelsea would enter the Champions League as winners but other spots would then go to Liverpool, City, Ars*nal and Everton with Spurs qualifying for Europa in 6th spot ?
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think of something though - if Chelsea won the Champions League and won the Premiership as well, would it not be more likely that Champions League qualification could then move down a spot from 2nd to 5th with 6th becoming Europa League ?

So, for the sake of argument, if current league placings stood, Chelsea would enter the Champions League as winners but other spots would then go to Liverpool, City, Ars*nal and Everton with Spurs qualifying for Europa in 6th spot ?

Everton fan in peace, to answer the predicament:

No. The PL is only entitled to 4 champions league places, regardless of where the Champions League winners finish. If the CL winners fails to finish top 4 then they get the CL place instead of the team that finishes 4th in the league. In that situation the PL would be given an extra place in the Europa League meaning 4th, 5th, 6th and the FA Cup Winner/finalist would go into that.

This is providing i've read this right:

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/fans/faqs/who-qualifies-to-play-in-europe/
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ooh, interesting thought. It all depends whether UEFA allow 5 teams from the same league to enter the competition. Sadly I don't think that is the case anymore.

The only time I remember that happening is when Liverpool finished 5th and won the Champions league in 2005.

Before then the only way to qualify was through league position. UEFA had assumed that Champions League winners would surely finish in the top 4 in their domestic league and had only allowed for a maximum of 4 teams per country.

UEFA had to bend their own rules or face the embarrassment of having a competition where the winners did not qualify for the next season.

Sorry for the long winded reply but I guess I'm saying I don't think finishing 5th would get a Champions League place.

Edit: Sorry didn't realise someone already answered the question.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,538
    Forum Member
    Sorry to pop in here, but I double as both a Man Utd and Toronto FC fan and Defoe scored again today, making it 3 goals in his first 2 games for Toronto. Looks to be a great buy and I'm thrilled! We've spent 7 years with remarkably inept play and no winning results but the Defoe signing (along with others) has got fans excited for that bit of success we've lacked for so long.

Here's the goal from today which was the winner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaAT-jg0OwM
This discussion has been closed.