BBC breakfast news - dumbing down?

GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had the misfortune of watching their breakfast show today for the first time in several years. Is it me or has the move to Salford lead to a decline of standards of reports & guests etc.

I know they have the lead of ITV version (which isn't that hard)

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    GPW wrote: »
    Had the misfortune of watching their breakfast show today for the first time in several years. Is it me or has the move to Salford lead to a decline of standards of reports & guests etc.

I know they have the lead of ITV version (which isn't that hard)

I think it's you.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think today's montage of bad sporting outfits set to background track of Right Said Fred's I'm too sexy was an all time low for the show. Must be a very very slow news day.

But overall I'd say it has been reasonably consistent in what it delivers.
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tuned into something about Umbrellas!

Why are they using a shoebox size studio?
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Salford studio is actually larger than the one they were in while in London. And yes, it does look like they put in quite a lot of fluffy peices today. Could be a deliverate decision to lighten it up considering the actual news is all about pending wars, potential plane bombs and kiddie fiddling.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for the serious days of Russell Grant and the Green Goddess.....
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not interested in the ''fluffy'' bits - the news coverage is far superior to either GMB or Sky.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I didn't watch it today, but it was it's usual mix yesterday
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'business news' was yet again a 2 minute chat about supermarkets, big 4 going down, Aldi/Lidi doing better, like it is at least once a week when any high street retailer announces any results.

Very numbed down consumer news rather than proper business news you used to get in the old days.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was there really "proper business news" in those days though? As far as i can recall it was always skewed towards consumer-interest news, which is likely to be what the major part of the audience wants at breakfast (when they are unlikely to be in a mood or have the time to listen to more detailed stuff), not hard and rather dry business stories regarding the latest IPO, or whether xxxx's proposed buyout of yyyy is too highly-leveraged. Perhaps that sort of story needs its own business programme separate from Breakfast, on the News Channel (similar to the short updates that appear during the day, but much longer and more detailed)

After all, breakfast programmes are, on the whole, targeting the typical breakfast viewer who has a short period of time available in between preparing/eating breakfast, getting ready for work or getting the kids off to school.

A proper business digest should have its place later on in the day, after the markets have closed.
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The 'business news' was yet again a 2 minute chat about supermarkets, big 4 going down, Aldi/Lidi doing better, like it is at least once a week when any high street retailer announces any results.

Very numbed down consumer news rather than proper business news you used to get in the old days.

Would've thought you were too busy watching the "who's made the latest 'Hollywood Power List?" -type stories on your beloved GMB.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is always the BBC News Channel at 08:30 :)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does lazy over use of the term "dumbing down" indicate a decline in the standards of constructive criticism on internet forums? :p
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Would've thought you were too busy watching the "who's made the latest 'Hollywood Power List?" -type stories on your beloved GMB.

I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else, as I've never said anything along those lines.

Your point is obviously what is happening though, as long as its better than ITV then it'll do, which is why they are aiming so low and are phoning it in most days.

The amount of times Steph has interviewed a manager from a established retailer, had a discussion about why their results are down, mentioned discount stores or the downturn or Internet shopping, and then handed back to Bill, is quite ridiculous though. Happens every week.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of times Steph has interviewed a manager from a established retailer, had a discussion about why their results are down, mentioned discount stores or the downturn or Internet shopping, and then handed back to Bill, is quite ridiculous though. Happens every week.
    And, in some degree or other, those things are not relevant to those results ?

What would you like Steph to be talking about, and to whom?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are getting me mixed up with someone else, as I've never said anything along those lines.

Your point is obviously what is happening though, as long as its better than ITV then it'll do, which is why they are aiming so low and are phoning it in most days.

I'm trying to remember the last time she interviewed a union spokesperson or shareholder critical of a company. I sometimes think her fawning interviews with managers are actually a veiled attempt at a job application. The Marks and Spencer story might have been of interest to many viewers who are customers but she
    managed to miss it completely, perhaps because it reflected adversely on the
    management ?
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Why should the BBC be criticized for the poor quality of breakfast news, even if it is true.
    The BBC lost credibility when it inflicted the dreary, seedy and poorly acted soap opera eastenders on the nation. Among many other crimes against broadcasting. There is simply
    a dreadful paucity of talent at the BBC.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I think the Salford studio is actually larger than the one they were in while in London. And yes, it does look like they put in quite a lot of fluffy peices today. Could be a deliverate decision to lighten it up considering the actual news is all about pending wars, potential plane bombs and kiddie fiddling.

No their London studio was massive. It looked small because they only used a small corner. Plus it had a much bigger ceiling height too.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Why should the BBC be criticized for the poor quality of breakfast news, even if it is true.
    The BBC lost credibility when it inflicted the dreary, seedy and poorly acted soap opera eastenders on the nation. Among many other crimes against broadcasting. There is simply
    a dreadful paucity of talent at the BBC.

A "paucity of talent" that is always being tapped into by other broadcasters.....;-)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone would just make a tv version of the Today show.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is annoying is the perpetual "Its the forecasters fault " for bad weather "Joke" which seems to run all the time. Have you got any good weather for us xxxxx? Ha Ha.
  • snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How would it be significantly better than the radio version - unless you need to see George Osbourne / Vince Cable etc. to understand what they're saying?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Justin Webb said in a column for the Radio Times that essentially was what they tried to do with Breakfast News when he presented it but it didn't work.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GPW wrote: »
    I tuned into something about Umbrellas!

Why are they using a shoebox size studio?
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »

London was big:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIU8Ou_P2PI
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London had a proper TV studio. Salford is a small converted office space - yes a purpose built building with nowhere ideal to host Breakfast. BBC Sport had the studio originally allocated for BBC North West News which would have been home to Breakfast aswell.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Is the OP not aware that BBC1 splits from the News Channel at 8:30am when they become more "light 'n' fluffy" with more showbiz-type stories.

The "real news" continues on the News Channel so the OP should switch to that.