Poor year for gaming?

Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It might be just me loosing interest in games or having a different taste to others, but has this been a very poor year for new games?

I would have normally purchased at least 2 titles by now.
However i have not purchased a game since last November and by the looks of things i won't be buying anything till Assassins Creed 3.

Not a real surprise to see the gaming market in decline.

No new games coming along. They are all sequels of franchises Like Creed, and the Call Of Dutys, Fifa's

Where are all the new blockbuster titles gone?

Comments

• AkimboGeordieAkimboGeordie Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    It might be just me loosing interest in games or having a different taste to others, but has this been a very poor year for new games?

I would have normally purchased at least 2 titles by now.
    However i have not purchased a game since last November and by the looks of things i won't be buying anything till Assassins Creed 3.

Not a real surprise to see the gaming market in decline.

No new games coming along. They are all sequels of franchises Like Creed, and the Call Of Dutys, Fifa's

Where are all the new blockbuster titles gone?

I think perhaps alot of devs are working on the next gen offerings for fall 2013.. !

There are still some good games to come this fall tho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its not just you it's been such a shit year so far.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most are releasing their stuff in Q3/Q4 these days anyway and gamers are waiting for them.
    Plus, if like me, some people are still working through last years offerings. Of course, everything will get dropped on September 21st when Borderlands 2 comes out.

Yes it's a sequel but Mass Effect 3 must have generated quite a few sales this year.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, but in all honesty 2011 was so good for games that I don't mind a drab 2012. Such was the backlog of great games in 2011 (Skyrim, Zelda SS, Battlefield 3, Minecraft (complete version), Shogun 2, Batman Arkham City, Child of Eden, Infamous 2, Portal 2 etc.) that I've spent the first six months of this year playing 2011 games I didn't get time to play....but have now dropped in price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on which genre you like i guess. I have only bought 1 disc based game so far (Lego Batman 2) and all the rest have been from XBLA or PSN store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I'm still catching up from last Christmas TBH ... Still got Batman AC, whitcher 2, BF3 etc etc and ploughing my way through KoA and Ghost recon at the moment ... so there is more than enough to keep me happy.

With Borderlands 2 and the Alien Colonial marines not to mention the big hitters I should be ok until the next gen releases next year ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just waiting to see if GTA will be released at some point this year.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget the Master Chiefs return will undoubtedly rack up a mountain of sales. Possibly a rival for Blops 2 on single platform sales.

And IF GTA does get a 2012 release these analysts will have gotten it all wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halo and a 2012 GTA release will do it for me throw in Pro Evo 2013 and I'm happy.
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a very shit year and a very quiet one for games (for me)

I think the q3 and q4 of 2012 might be slightly better.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're approaching the end of this generation, once the new consoles are announced next year, there will be a boom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good games but I think we were spoilt last year, especially towards the end. And some titles have slipped until 2013 making this year look a little weak.

Good time to catch up on the backlog ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're approaching the end of this generation, once the new consoles are announced next year, there will be a boom
    Might be a silly thing to ask but once the PS4 is released will PS3 games cease to be made? Also how true is the rumour the PS4 will be download/ cloud based gaming only? as my internet connection is awful :(
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Might be a silly thing to ask but once the PS4 is released will PS3 games cease to be made? Also how true is the rumour the PS4 will be download/ cloud based gaming only? as my internet connection is awful :(

PS3 games will continue to be made for a while, as long as an active user base exists, although you usually start to get more budget / children's games as consoles get replaced and moved from under the lounge TV to the kids bedrooms, or snapped up by people looking for a cheaper entry point.

I think downloads and cloud gaming will play a significant part in the PS4, but I am personally 99.9% confident you will still be able to buy games on disc.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hmm I actually 2012 has been outstanding for games so far, some of the highlights of what I've bought are: The Witcher 2, Alan Wakes American Nightmare, Resident Evil Revelations, FEZ, Akai Katana, Mass Effect 3. Spelunky, Resi Evil Revelations, MGS HD Collection, Kid Icarus Uprising, Max Payne 3, Trials Evolution, Minecraft XBLA and The Walking Dead.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased but there's a ton of other great games on the way this year too and between XBLA and 3DS I'm pretty much spoiled for choice.

Also worth remembering the Wii U is coming out, that's a pretty big thing no? It's not every year we get a new home console released and while the launch games may not be mindblowing there's some great looking games on the way and the hardware itself is very interesting.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    There aren't any games I'm looking forward too and any games that are already out that might interest me will probably be on sale at some point this summer or nearer Christmas.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

Generally most games will be on both platforms, with the better version being on the PS4 (think Splinter Cell Double Agent, there was a PS2 edition and a Xbox 360 version too). Most games on the console will be triple AAA games that have been bought by Sony and Microsoft.

I think discs will still be around next gen, not enough of the user base has good internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Possibly because 2011 was so good
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III, Resident Evil 6, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Guild Wars 2, Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Diablo III.

I wouldn't say they were bad releases...
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I sometimes feel like I'm loosing interest in games, but it's just that there aren't any games out right now that interest me. The last game I bought was WWE 12 which is more out of habit from getting all the others as I wasn't really anticipating it much. Actually I guess you could include Uncharted 3 as I got that for xmas. The games I am looking forward to are all sequels such as Hitman Absolution, Resident Evil 6, and maybe Splinter Cell, oh and GTA whenever that comes out. I wish there were more horror games out there or new game franchises.

I really liked Heavy Rain but that appears to be a one off. L.A Noire was alright to.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Sleeping Dogs" is a new game out soon that looks good.

I've not seen anyone mention the superb "Deus Ex" that was released after the summer last year and that's more of a "new" game than a sequel due to the length of time from the last game.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed this too. This year i've bought 3 games so far - 2 of which were released this year (Final Fantasy XIII - 2 and SSX, which arrived today).The only other game i intend to purchase this year is PES 2013, which is just an update and isn't 'new'. Also Sleeping Dogs. I think there has just been a decline in the type of games i play and am interested in. As for others, i believe there has been a lot of games released to satisfiy the average gamer.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    More an average year, for me, I'm looking forward to Tekken Tag 2 and AC3 in the coming months, plus the Steam Sale has gave people a back log of games to play over whilst they wait for something better. :p
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't bought any games released this year :( ... and the only games I'm currently looking forward to are Halo 4, Assassins Creed, GTA & Hitman.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my best game this year was Catherine, but anything else has been shit! im loosing interest in xbox gaming anyway not on it every nite like i used to beenplaying a few steam games though