Has Poor Lulu's Ordeal On Strictly Detered Other Female SuperStars Like Joan Collins?

TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
Forum Member
✭✭
Has Poor Lulu's Ordeal On Strictly Come Dancing Detered Other Female SuperStars Like Joan Collins from signing up to dance on the show?

Poor Lulu's ordeal on Strictly Come Dancing has already been well documented in the past, but will other Big Name female SuperStars like Joan Collins who have previously watched poor Lulu have to suffer in silence risk signing up to a show only to find themselves end up being treated in the same way?

Or will they just give the show the 'go-by' in favour of other shows like Dancing on Ice.

Lulu's torment on Strictly Come Dancing could end up effecting the show a bit like the Jonathan Ross effect on his show, where the Big name female SuperStars stopped appearing after what he did to poor Patsy Kensit on his show one Friday night, and who could really blame them, but it will be a shame if Strictly can only attract the Z listers from now on, we have had far to many of them already.

Comments

• StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    'Poor Lulu's ordeal'.
    'Lulu's torment'.

You've really out-done yourself on this one, Terry!
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can only hope so.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    This is why I use the ignore button!
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Oh dear! :rolleyes:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worrying thing is that Terry really seems to believe this. :eek:
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joan Collins is 80 next month. Anton might have relished having her as his celeb. but none of the other's would. It's really too bad when over 60's compete so an octogenarian would be unbearable for me.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Collins is 80 next month. Anton might have relished having her as his celeb. but none of the other's would. It's really too bad when over 60's compete so an octogenarian would be unbearable for me.

I have never understood this obsessive compulsion to label much loved National Treasures and Living Legends with a number, why not just celebrate their being and be thankful for everything that they share with us.

This preocupation with numbers is not a hobby that I share, and makes not a jot off difference to me, and it certainly hasn't restrained Percy, the lucky dog.

I don't want Joan Collins to be detered from taking part on Strictly Come Dancing, but I fear that already might be the case, which would be our eternal loss.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've an ageing population and some old folk are fitter and got more charisma than the whippersnappers. I'm not sure La Collins would sign up mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    We've an ageing population and some old folk are fitter and got more charisma than the whippersnappers. I'm not sure La Collins would sign up mind.

Well if I were Joany's boyfriend and she turned round to me after a Strictly invite and said 'What shall I do Telly?' I have to be honest and admit that I would say 'Joany Sweet Pea you are too good for the show, I don't think that they will show you the respect that you deserve, I would hate to see you up ended and given a firemans shoulder throw over like happened to poor Lulu on the opening show of that series.'

The producers even tried it on with Julian Clary on Big Brother, thankfully he turned them down flat when they asked him to wear nothing but a thong on the show. I was so pleased that Julian stuck up for his dignity and refused their desire for close ups of his peachy cheeks.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    None of us really know the true story of what really goes on, apart from those involved in the show.

Some older Celebs seem to "muck in" and garner respect from the younger contestants, but some , presumably, behave like Divas.

The Pro's all expect their celeb partners to work hard and do what they are told, which will achieve results. Most of the Pro's should be able to get their partner to a reasonable stage in the competition, bearing in mind their ability and aptitude, because that is why they are employed on the show.

Interestingly watching Celebrity Apprentice (USA version) showed what a shock these celebs got as they suddenly realised they had to do some hard graft for once in their lives. the ones that shone (on that show) have been standups, musicians, and even Piers Morgan - but then he was a tabloid editor which is hard graft.

Former movie stars and pop Divas who are cosseted their entire working lives are hardly likely to take to being shouted at by an angry Russian ballroom dancer - Holly Valance anyone ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I have never understood this obsessive compulsion to label much loved National Treasures and Living Legends with a number, why not just celebrate their being and be thankful for everything that they share with us.

This preocupation with numbers is not a hobby that I share, and makes not a jot off difference to me, and it certainly hasn't restrained Percy, the lucky dog.

I don't want Joan Collins to be detered from taking part on Strictly Come Dancing, but I fear that already might be the case, which would be our eternal loss.

Who is Percy?
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lulu - a Super-Star? Surely not. She's just a two-bit screechy, and her behaviour on Strictly was pretty bad.

And Joan Collins? Please never never never.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this a serious post??!!?!??!!
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Don't want to sound ageist but given the logistical difficulties of getting Russell Grant around the floor so that nifty camerawork could give the illusion that he was performing his routine in its entirety, doing the same for Joan means endless head and shoulder shots of Anton rather than Flavia, so thanks, but no thanks.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    TokenCat wrote: »
    Who is Percy?

Joan's 5th husband
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you may be right.

No Jane Fonda, no Doris Day, no Shirley Temple, no Debbie Reynolds, no Sophia Loren, no Barbara Streisand.

Surely it is too much of a coincidence that none of them have signed up since Lulu appeared.

Still - I'm looking forward to seeing them on Dancing on Ice.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Sheila Hancock did OK at Xmas, though a jive might have been a bit much for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »

No Jane Fonda, no Doris Day, no Shirley Temple, no Debbie Reynolds, no Sophia Loren, no Barbara Streisand.

Surely it is too much of a coincidence that none of them have signed up since Lulu appeared.

:D:D:D
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Interesting doc on BB4 last night about Tom Jones.

Apparantly Tom's manager (his son) told Alan Yentob to "make sure you give him a hard time, and make him work. If he can just jump out of a box and wiggle his bum, then he'll do that instead "

Obviously Tom jones responds well to "being pushed" into new things, Richard Briers (RIP) was the same - going into shakespeare at an advanced age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    None of us really know the true story of what really goes on, apart from those involved in the show.

Some older Celebs seem to "muck in" and garner respect from the younger contestants, but some , presumably, behave like Divas.

The Pro's all expect their celeb partners to work hard and do what they are told, which will achieve results. Most of the Pro's should be able to get their partner to a reasonable stage in the competition, bearing in mind their ability and aptitude, because that is why they are employed on the show.

Interestingly watching Celebrity Apprentice (USA version) showed what a shock these celebs got as they suddenly realised they had to do some hard graft for once in their lives. the ones that shone (on that show) have been standups, musicians, and even Piers Morgan - but then he was a tabloid editor which is hard graft.

Former movie stars and pop Divas who are cosseted their entire working lives are hardly likely to take to being shouted at by an angry Russian ballroom dancer - Holly Valance anyone ??

You seriously can't compare the celebs on Celebrity Apprentice USA to what the celebs have to do on SCD or even DWTS in any country. CA celebs mostly sit on their butts to do the challenges, there is not much physical exertion involved. To do CA you just need to suck up to the Donald and know how to cat fight. Plus the money is about the same. There is no glory or respect for doing CA, if you do DWTS or SCD, you get a little respect and job offers for putting yourself out there emotionally and physically.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wish you hadn't put this thought in my mind, I didn't get much sleep at all last night.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Lulu worked on TV since she was on Strictly? Haven't see her. Surely there's always panto for Lulu?
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <p>
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I wish you hadn't put this thought in my mind, I didn't get much sleep at all last night.
    </p>
    <p> </p>

I guess they all must be fairly traumatised too Terry to have refused to appear on Strictly.
    They dont seem to be Twitter followers of Lulu, so maybe they have learned about Lulu's tribulations through reading your posts. I dont think there is another source - is there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <p></p>
    <p> </p>

I guess they all must be fairly traumatised too Terry to have refused to appear on Strictly.
    They dont seem to be Twitter followers of Lulu, so maybe they have learned about Lulu's tribulations through reading your posts. I dont think there is another source - is there?

Is it any wonder as a result that the calibre of celebrity on Strictly Come Dancing is going down year on year now, we already have a baker/candlestick maker lined up for this year, we really could be venturing into the basement of the barrel this time around.
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to worry. Lulu only went out because of a Bonfire Night travesty, which prevented EVERYONE in Scotland from voting for her. So it's been said anyway.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.