Options

Same song by different artists in the charts at the same time

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Have just been reading this
The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" debuted at #35 on the UK Top 40 chart dated 16 January 1965: on the same chart a rival version by Cilla Black debuted at #28. Black had become a recording star by covering Dionne Warwick's newly released American hit "Anyone Who Had a Heart" for the UK market with a resultant #1 in February 1964; Black's producer George Martin had repeated the strategy that had given Black her first #1 hit by having the songtress cover the Righteous Brothers new American release "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". (Black's version had an abbreviated bridge which she explained saying: "I don't want people to get bored";[7] the abridgment also removed the necessity of Black's attempting to match the Righteous Brothers' climactic vocal trade-off.)The 24 January chart saw Black remain in ascendancy at #12 while the Righteous Brothers at #20 but while the 6 February chart saw Black jump to #2 the Righteous Brothers made a larger jump to #3 powered by a full-page ad Andrew Oldham had run in Melody Maker:

The UK Top 40 dated 20 February saw the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" at #1 - it would remain there 27 February - while Black's version began its descent dropping to #5.

Are there any other examples of this happening?

Comments

• Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In years gone by it used to be quite common although I'm now struggling to think of any examples off the top of my head....
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't She Lovely?, Stevie Wonder song covered by David Parton ?, got in the top five with never heard of again..
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Christmas chart in 1995 saw Wonderwall at Nos 2 and 8 (Mike Flowers Pops and Oasis respectively), and both were in the charts simultaneously for a few weeks.

There have also been several times in the last few years where "soundalike" versions of songs were in the charts at the same time as the original version (the last one I can think of off the top of my head was Payphone in June last year).
  • Options
    dammitbatman!!dammitbatman!! Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Trisha Yearwood and Leanne Rimes had versions of "how do I live?" in the charts at the same time
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Error
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this happened with Alexandra Burke. Both her version and Jeff Buckley's version were in the top 10 at the same time.

Though Alexandra's version became the first ever single by a British female solo artist to sell over 1,000,000 copies.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago wasn't the song Hallelujah in the charts by different artists. I know that it was released by an X-factor artist in 2008 and it got to number 1 and somebody else released it as well.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2010 Christmas chart had Matt Cardle at #1 and Biffy Clyro at #8 with When We Collide/Many Of Horror. There's probably quite a few X Factor-related ones. I think Shontelle went top 40 with Impossible when James Arthur released his version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this counts, the only one I can think of is Iko Iko. It was covered in 1982 by The Belle Stars. A singer named Natasha had a cover out also, it only charted for one week, and the Belle Stars version entered the chart a week later.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This practice was very common in the 50s where a record company might release different versions of the same song by a number of artists they had on contract. E.g. Mack The Knife had 4 or 5 versions on release in 1956. You can look that stuff up.

I remember The Tremeloes and The Beatles having 'Twist and Shout' out at the same time in 1963 and The Byrds and Cher having 'All I Really Want to do', a Bob Dylan song at about the same time in 1965.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most recent example = Lily Allen and Keane's versions of Somewhere Only We Know were both in the same top 40 a week or so ago...
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stereofam wrote: »
    Don't know if this counts, the only one I can think of is Iko Iko. It was covered in 1982 by The Belle Stars. A singer named Natasha had a cover out also, it only charted for one week, and the Belle Stars version entered the chart a week later.

bib: The Natasha version reached number 10.

The Belle Stars' version didn't reach the UK top 30. But it did become a bigger hit in the US a few years later, when it was featured in the film Dustin Hoffman film "Rain Man"
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Jacksons and Mick Jackson ( no relation and the writer of the song) both had "Blame It On The Boogie" in the charts in Sept 1978.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago wasn't the song Hallelujah in the charts by different artists. I know that it was released by an X-factor artist in 2008 and it got to number 1 and somebody else released it as well.
    Yes there was one of those daft counter productive campaigns to keep the X-Factor single off the top spot...
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unchained Melody had 4 versions on chart at one point:

19 weeks in chart for Jimmy Young commmencing 6/5/55
    17 weeks in chart for Al Hibbler commencing 13/5/55
    9 weeks in chart for Les Baxter also commencing 13/5/55
    1 week in chart for Liberace on 17/6/55
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if various versions were in the charts at the same time but "Don't Stop Believing" seemed to be everywhere due to X-Factor and Glee. I used to like Journey's version but it got to the point where I wanted to slice off my ears lol
  • Options
    Renegade MasterRenegade Master Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the early 00's, Eamon had a hit 'Dont Want You Back' and Frankie had a hit 'F U Right Back'
  • Options
    Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Cabin Crew's Star To Fall and Sunset Strippers' Falling Stars, both released almost simultaneously in 2005
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Avicii and Flo Rida were both in the top 10 at the same time with songs that both used the same Etta James sample.

Alicia Keys and Jay-Z both had their versions of Empire State of Mind in the top 20 at the same time.

You've Got the Love and You Got the Dirtee Love were both in the top 10 at the same time as well I think.
  • Options
    ChrisJamesSatsChrisJamesSats Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Cabin Crew's Star To Fall and Sunset Strippers' Falling Stars, both released almost simultaneously in 2005

Similar to this, Eddie Thoneick & Kurd Maverick with Love Sensation in 2006, with the rival version by Hi_Tack/Loleatta Holloway within a week of each other I think.

Thoneick & Cabin Crew were the better versions imo.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Also Payphone by Precision Tunes and Payphone by Maroon 5 were top 10 on adjacent weeks.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Jackson and Madonna were prolific at doing this during the 80's. I think there was a time when Madonna had 2 singles in the top 10. Michael Jackson having two singles in the charts was common place after he released Thriller.
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, as mentioned by poster above you.

Alexandra Burke's awful X-factor version was #1
    Jeff Buckley's version from 1994 was #2
    Leonard Cohen's original from 1984 was #36
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Michael Jackson and Madonna were prolific at doing this during the 80's. I think there was a time when Madonna had 2 singles in the top 10. Michael Jackson having two singles in the charts was common place after he released Thriller.

Woooosh.... I think you totally misunderstood the thread.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just a bit :D

Some good info here guys. Cheers.