So has Lady Gaga's G.U.Y. actually been released as a single yet and flopped or what?

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Wikipedia has this to say "It was commercially unsuccessful, debuting on the record charts of a few countries, but failing to approach the top-ten in most of them. In her native United States, "G.U.Y." has become Gaga's lowest peaking single on the Billboard Hot 100, a peak of number 76."
- but I'm not sure if that's just because it hasnt been 'actually released as a single yet'? Is she promoting it? Is the music vid getting TV airplay/requests? is that even a thing anymore?

I'm quite confused about the whole thing. Not sure if she's actually released it in the UK or not, anyway. She wouldve done well to release it when the video came out IMHO.

Anyone know any more? And before anybody jumps in that there was already a thread for this; I couldnt find one, so apologies right out there.

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    Only from what I've read just on Wiki, it hasn't been given an official standalone sales release. It was released to Italian radio on March 28th, US radio on April 8th and UK radio on April 21st but doesn't list digital or physical releases for sale. I would assume the US #76 position was from streaming and radio play, and the UK #115 position from people downloading it from the album on digital sites.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Capital FM didn't playlist this. As far as I know it's the only Gaga single they've ignored.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think there is no interest for it and she has done little herself to change that opinion. I think it's safe to say the song is a non starter.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that there hadn't been a full physical and digital release due to the poor reception it received when released on radio airplay. It hasn't really been a very popular era the huge hype for over a year and when Artpop arrived and Applause lead single it was overshadowed by Katy Perry. The album did not deliver on sales or getting the media attention. Somewhere I also remember about this whole interactive promotion being built up about it not only being a music album but app and complete media experience but the problem was the overhype, casual buyer who make the majority of the sales purchases longevity wise just appear to have lost interest. Fans tend to always buy in the first week and even that was pretty poor.
    The debacle over the next single release and lack of video along with getting fans to choose the next release but then not going with the popular choice. Third single too much focus on the video which is just nothing artistic or new. You have to wander that her ego has overtaken any creativity or connection with the public.
    The Music industry at the moment appears pretty unforgiving to female artists and it's not just LG that's had a bumpy ride in the past few years the difficulty is she neither has the longevity or huge back catalogue to be able to sustain a career so really needs to get back at the top of her game and win people round. Whilst overall media coverage is still majority positive at the end of the day they don't create the interest or sales if public demand isn't there.
    I could see her doing well with her Jazz album and reigniting both her public image and career but she really needs to take ownership of her mistakes and stop blaming everyone else as the victim card has been completely used up in her case.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wikipedia has this to say "It was commercially unsuccessful, debuting on the record charts of a few countries, but failing to approach the top-ten in most of them. In her native United States, "G.U.Y." has become Gaga's lowest peaking single on the Billboard Hot 100, a peak of number 76."
    - but I'm not sure if that's just because it hasnt been 'actually released as a single yet'? Is she promoting it? Is the music vid getting TV airplay/requests? is that even a thing anymore?

I'm quite confused about the whole thing. Not sure if she's actually released it in the UK or not, anyway. She wouldve done well to release it when the video came out IMHO.

Anyone know any more? And before anybody jumps in that there was already a thread for this; I couldnt find one, so apologies right out there.

I thought it was being released mid May. Haven't heard it anywhere...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    I assume that there hadn't been a full physical and digital release due to the poor reception it received when released on radio airplay. It hasn't really been a very popular era the huge hype for over a year and when Artpop arrived and Applause lead single it was overshadowed by Katy Perry. The album did not deliver on sales or getting the media attention. Somewhere I also remember about this whole interactive promotion being built up about it not only being a music album but app and complete media experience but the problem was the overhype, casual buyer who make the majority of the sales purchases longevity wise just appear to have lost interest. Fans tend to always buy in the first week and even that was pretty poor.
    The debacle over the next single release and lack of video along with getting fans to choose the next release but then not going with the popular choice. Third single too much focus on the video which is just nothing artistic or new. You have to wander that her ego has overtaken any creativity or connection with the public.
    The Music industry at the moment appears pretty unforgiving to female artists and it's not just LG that's had a bumpy ride in the past few years the difficulty is she neither has the longevity or huge back catalogue to be able to sustain a career so really needs to get back at the top of her game and win people round. Whilst overall media coverage is still majority positive at the end of the day they don't create the interest or sales if public demand isn't there.
    I could see her doing well with her Jazz album and reigniting both her public image and career but she really needs to take ownership of her mistakes and stop blaming everyone else as the victim card has been completely used up in her case.

The song is available the moment the album is released unless there is album only option next to it. So when a single is released it can be immediately bought for the most part. So as for no release it has been available 7 months.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    It;s been released to radio, she revealed a single cover, released a video and a remix EP was released. So it has been released and flopped.

EDIT: The Remix EP will be out in the UK the 8th of may
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    The song is available the moment the album is released unless there is album only option next to it. So when a single is released it can be immediately bought for the most part. So as for no release it has been available 7 months.

Yes the same applies for 99% of albums now released digitally. That wasn't what either the poster was meaning or myself. When an album is released it's not counted as 12 singles or whatever the number of tracks they are counted as album tracks. They then decide what they want to release as singles usually compromising of video, physical releases i.e vinyl, cd and other promotional formats as well as either remixes, radio edits etc. a few weeks prior to release date it's sent out to radio stations to build up AirPlay and interest then there is what is classed as an official single release date. Radio stations don't get an album then just randomly play whatever twelve tracks they want for the next six months. There has always been single release dates and as far as I know the music industry still works the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked UK single release dates and it's official single release is:

12th MAY

Afrojack- 10 Feet Tall
    Jake Bugg- Messed Up Kids EP
    Kylie Minogue- I Was Gonna Cancel
    Lady Gaga- G.U.Y
    Lorde- Tennis Court
    Paloma Faith- Only Love Can Hurt Like This
    Pharrell Williams- Marilyn Monroe
    Rita Ora- I Will Never Let You Down
    Sheryl Crow- Callin' Me When I'm Lonely
    Taio Cruz- Don't You Dare
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the same applies for 99% of albums now released digitally. That wasn't what either the poster was meaning or myself. When an album is released it's not counted as 12 singles or whatever the number of tracks they are counted as album tracks. They then decide what they want to release as singles usually compromising of video, physical releases i.e vinyl, cd and other promotional formats as well as either remixes, radio edits etc. a few weeks prior to release date it's sent out to radio stations to build up AirPlay and interest then there is what is classed as an official single release date. Radio stations don't get an album then just randomly play whatever twelve tracks they want for the next six months. There has always been single release dates and as far as I know the music industry still works the same way.

Yes but many nowadays don't bother with that they may give a Digital bundle or simply leave it as the album track buy option. so whether any other formats are released as soon as the single is announced it is released and available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but many nowadays don't bother with that they may give a Digital bundle or simply leave it as the album track buy option. so whether any other formats are released as soon as the single is announced it is released and available.

Ok but the question asked was has it flopped as a single release and as a single in the UK it hasn't yet been released. It's available as an album track as is any of her album material. Realistically I don't think it's going to do well but until it's classed as physically released as a single you cannot factually say it's flopped as a single. Paparazzi was released about 8 months after the album and available to download throughout the 8 month period but when released as a single charted in the top 5 UK chart at number 4 the week of official release.
    Although I don't even know why I got myself into this question as don't particularly like her lol. My last post on this topic.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked UK single release dates and it's official single release is:

12th MAY

Afrojack- 10 Feet Tall
    Jake Bugg- Messed Up Kids EP
    Kylie Minogue- I Was Gonna Cancel
    Lady Gaga- G.U.Y
    Lorde- Tennis Court
    Paloma Faith- Only Love Can Hurt Like This
    Pharrell Williams- Marilyn Monroe
    Rita Ora- I Will Never Let You Down
    Sheryl Crow- Callin' Me When I'm Lonely
    Taio Cruz- Don't You Dare

Thats what I read.
  • RuthvenRuthven Posts: 71
    Forum Member

For me, that is the biggest downfall of this new (is it "new" anymore!?) chart rules.
    Unless it's hugely hyped, I think gone are the days where an album will spawn many hit singles. Taking Gaga as an example - "Gypsy" could've been a huge hit but because it was chart eligible way back in November when Artpop released - the chances of it hitting the higher ends of the charts as a latter standalone single are slim, and like GUY - it'd likely sink without a trace.

What's the point in a song being chart eligible straight away?! Most general fans who bought the album, have little incentive to buy a track again when it becomes an actual "Single" - it's kind of mucking up long lasting music. If the release of GUY brought a bside - I'd download that alone, not the actual single that I already had 7 months ago!
    What's the point? :confused:

Take Madonna, Gaga, Kylie - all latest albums viewed as "Flops". Music and it's image is suffering and something needs to be done. There's no incentive now for fans to collect a song - it's just an invisible MP3! Back in the day (there, I said it) I'd buy cd1 AND cd2 - maybe only gaining a b-side on 1 and a remix on the other - but still, i BOUGHT them, I listened in to the charts to see if it bumped my favourite artist up the Top40... It's all so boring now!

Bah, rant over!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Ruthven wrote: »
    For me, that is the biggest downfall of this new (is it "new" anymore!?) chart rules.
    Unless it's hugely hyped, I think gone are the days where an album will spawn many hit singles. Taking Gaga as an example - "Gypsy" could've been a huge hit but because it was chart eligible way back in November when Artpop released - the chances of it hitting the higher ends of the charts as a latter standalone single are slim, and like GUY - it'd likely sink without a trace.

What's the point in a song being chart eligible straight away?! Most general fans who bought the album, have little incentive to buy a track again when it becomes an actual "Single" - it's kind of mucking up long lasting music. If the release of GUY brought a bside - I'd download that alone, not the actual single that I already had 7 months ago!

Take Madonna, Gaga, Kylie - all latest albums viewed as "Flops". Music and it's image is suffering and something needs to be done. There's no incentive now for fans to collect a song - it's just an invisible MP3! Back in the day (there, I said it) I'd buy cd1 AND cd2 - maybe only gaining a b-side on 1 and a remix on the other - but still, i BOUGHT them, I listened in to the charts to see if it bumped my favourite artist up the Top40... It's all so boring now!

Bah, rant over!

I agree with every word! It's very rare these days for an artist to sustain high charting singles from one album. Katy Perry seems to manage it every now again again, but I can't think of many others. It a shame, and it makes me sad to see some of my favourite artists struggling to get a hit. :(

I also used to buy all the CD formats :D I miss those days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree to an extent and think all album track should be album only until released as a single. But that said it isn't impossible for a song to chart highly after. Take Katy Perry's latest single available since October and has now starting scaling ITunes since the release of the single so radio play etc etc. The only difference is where as a song would chart highly immediately these days if a song is a hit after an album it will peak and have sustained longevity accumulating bigger sales. As opposed to having top heavy sales peaking and dropping,

The fact is if these were days of old Gaga still would not be likely to have a hit with G.U.Y as there is very little interest. No radio play, no video play, and no column inches or performances to push it. The song is available the song has been announced and if it were going to do anything it would have had done by now.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the difference now is the market has more influence on dictating the singles. Fans of the artist buy the album; and then as one or two tracks stand out and get bought; they name those tracks 'singles' and start major promo, TV performances, music videos etc for them and they get exposed to a wider audience. You can expose one song as a sounbite way easier than a whole album.

The single becomes catchy and stuck in people's heads, gets radio airplay, a larger audience buys it, and some of that periphery/casual music fan audience will then be inspired by the single to buy the album.

It really is quite similar to the old system. The only thing about Madonna, Kylie and Gaga that this shows is that they're relying on fanbase only and not picking up enough casual music fan/periphery audience to make a splash; and a lot of that is down to bad publicity and/or no promo.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It flopped. Like, colossally.

Her single choices during The Fame/ Monster era were fantastic. (Apart from not releasing "Monster" after Alejandro but I can let that go...)

Ever since then though they've been terrible. The corny, try-hard, pandering mess that was Born This Way was a very bad decision in the long run. TEOG would've been a better lead single. Plus releasing Hair over Marry The Night would've done better business chart wise.

And releasing a song called "Judas" on Easter weekend was just pathetic too, more desperate than controversial to be honest.

As for Artpop, well it's just a shit album in general really. No surprise GUY flopped.
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It flopped. Like, colossally.

Her single choices during The Fame/ Monster era were fantastic. (Apart from not releasing "Monster" after Alejandro but I can let that go...)

Ever since then though they've been terrible. The corny, try-hard, pandering mess that was Born This Way was a very bad decision in the long run. TEOG would've been a better lead single. Plus releasing Hair over Marry The Night would've done better business chart wise.

And releasing a song called "Judas" on Easter weekend was just pathetic too, more desperate than controversial to be honest.

As for Artpop, well it's just a shit album in general really. No surprise GUY flopped.

I was a massive Gaga fan when she first released Fame as most songs I instantly liked and then I still liked most of the songs added for Fame Monster but then found Born This Way took a few listens before I became a fan of most songs however I have found during this era I have really gone off her and not even bothered with the album and the only song I love is Do what you want...I really think she just needs to create more pop friendly songs as her attitude now is just making her appear too big for her boots
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a massive Gaga fan when she first released Fame as most songs I instantly liked and then I still liked most of the songs added for Fame Monster but then found Born This Way took a few listens before I became a fan of most songs however I have found during this era I have really gone off her and not even bothered with the album and the only song I love is Do what you want...I really think she just needs to create more pop friendly songs as her attitude now is just making her appear too big for her boots

Actually I take it back a little bit, Gypsy is a genuinely good song and Venus is completely ridiculous. But a total guilty pleasure.

On the whole the album is rubbish though.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruthven wrote: »

Bah, rant over!

Totally agree. Even further back I would buy the album, then get the 12" singles or Ltd edition gatefold 7" singles, the picture discs etc. There is no real joy in clicking and downloading no matter how much you love music. I REALLY miss not being able check out all the new cd singles in record shops.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    There is no real joy in clicking and downloading no matter how much you love music. I REALLY miss not being able check out all the new cd singles in record shops.

Me too. I still buy CDs, albums anyway. I'd miss the sleeve and artwork if I chose to download instead.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Gaga had a recent dig at Katy Perry for copying her hair colour? lol my Twitter feed has gone wild but I can't find what its all about.
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wrote 'seems mechanical horses and green wigs are a thing now'

Dunno whether she was criticising Katy, or merely pointing out other ways in which the media try and make a thing against them.

If she is going for Katy for copying then I think she should look in the mirror before doing so. There are definitely similarities between their aesthetics, Katy def started 'crazying' it up after Gaga came on the scene, but having been on the receiving end of copying allegations herself, you'd think Gaga would refrain. Even though there'd been press articles about how similar the Prismatic tour is to stuff Gaga's done, and all that kerfuffle with single/album/tour dates being very close together - I don't think she should have tweeted that.

I'm not impressed at all tbh - so much for online kindness and not pitting females against each other. I can only hope there's been a misunderstanding. This won't end well for Gaga, and if Katy remained silent that would be the best outcome.

I'm still going to artRave in October, and whilst I think Gaga is more talented performance-wise than most of her contemporaries, her behaviour and attitude in recent times is really putting me off. I'm disappointed by her and am finding it increasingly hard to defend somebody who seems so lacking in self-awareness. By bringing up Katy in a comparing manner, it shows her ego really is bruised by the state of her own career. She should focus on her own tour and making her next album more of a success. I don't think Katy is as innocent and all sweetness as she likes to appear, and as I said before, I feel she does perhaps watch too closely what Gaga's doing and done before, BUT having set herself up as the 'Goddess of Love' or whatever, Gaga is further accelerating her own decline.

I can only hope for her sake its a misunderstanding, because if not, I don't see this ending well for her.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Has Gaga had a recent dig at Katy Perry for copying her hair colour? lol my Twitter feed has gone wild but I can't find what its all about.

Yep, last night she tweeted this.
    @ladygaga 13h
    It looks like green hair and mechanical horses are the thing now 👀
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She absolutely does not want to say anything derogatory toward Katy Perry right now as she will look sour faced and petty as lets face it KP the Dark Horse herself has more or less snatched the limelight. But as we know all things may change.