Multiple Tivo boxes - able to watch SKY Sports on all boxes?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
Forum Member
Hi. I am a broadband and phone customer of VM. Have been a SKY customer for TV for quite a few years, and am looking at going with one of the VM bundles for TV, broadband and phone. I have been given a quote of £98 a month by VM, based on having three Tivo boxes, 152mb broadband, and home phone talk unlimited.

I rang SKY to cancel my TV package with them, and they told me that if I were to have three Tivo boxes with VM, I would only be able to watch SKY Sports on one of the boxes. This would be a problem for me, as it is mainly the football that I watch. One of my bugbears has been having to pay for BT Sport when it is free with VM.

Is what the SKY guy said true??? I rang VM straight afterwards and they said it was not the case. My strong suspicion is that SKY are lying to me. SKY offered me a discount to try to keep my business, but it's fair to say I'm far from pleased with them.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by this

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch/multi-room.html

Sky were telling porkies and VM were not.
    What can I watch?

With extra set top boxes, you can enjoy all the channels you have as part of your Virgin TV subscription (you’ll also need a box that supports your subscription – like an HD box to watch HD channels).

You can watch all the same channels and On Demand shows that you like watching on your box in the living room… on your box upstairs. And that includes On Demand shows and apps, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Going by this

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch/multi-room.html

Sky were telling porkies and VM were not.

Thanks. As I suspected. Really poor on their part. I think they're possibly having to resort to such underhand tactics, as VM are offering much better-value packages at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I actually have a couple more queries, based on what the dodgy SKY bloke said to me:-

1. Will VM definitely be having Sky Sports 5 HD from August onwards? SKY seem to be saying this isn't the case, but I'm sure that I have read that they will.

2. How much longer will BT Sport be free on VM? I had believed it to be for two years initially, and that was a year ago.

Thanks.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. As I suspected. Really poor on their part. I think they're possibly having to resort to such underhand tactics, as VM are offering much better-value packages at the moment.

Sky have "previous" for this sort of thing.

Back at the time when plans were in motion to switch off analogue terrestrial broadcasts there were loads of stories floating about that Sky would set up stalls in shopping malls and the like saying that after analogue switch off the only way to get telly would be by taking out Sky!

Not sure how true this was though.
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    I actually have a couple more queries, based on what the dodgy SKY bloke said to me:-

1. Will VM definitely be having Sky Sports 5 HD from August onwards? SKY seem to be saying this isn't the case, but I'm sure that I have read that they will.

2. How much longer will BT Sport be free on VM? I had believed it to be for two years initially, and that was a year ago.

Thanks.

Sky Sports 5 and 5 HD will be available from launch next month.

The BT Sports deal with Virgin Media signed last year was a three year deal. So the current channels will remain part of the XL package.

What BT Sports will do once they have the Champions League no-one knows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Am new to this forum, but I've got the whole package with virgin, including two set tops and you can watch sky sports at same time.
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that I have had SKY sales rep lie to me in the past on the features of their own hardware (at the time sky+ boxes) this was in relation to the number of TV tuners which was them trying to say they had more then VM. I could have said VM have 10 tuners and he would have told me SKY had 11. He also told me SKY had iplayer which at the time was deffo not true (though maybe the case now).