Options

Who could represent the UK in Eurovision 2014?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Holly, rumoured and dropped within hours!
  • Options
    topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    All signs seem to be pointing towards her- what with this ultra secretive gig, the fact she hasn't tweeted in the last 24 hours...

As for the song- it definitely won't be Strange Alien, it's going to be something completely new. She mentioned recording a song with an orchestra in Stockholm in February, but as far as I can see from the material she's released there's nothing with an orchestra featured, so most likely it's this.

Plus, an unsigned artist would not be able to simply jet off to Stockholm and record in a studio with a full orchestra without connections and a good financial backing- i.e. BBC/record label.
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    From twitter

Alissa ‏@AlissaMed 16m
    Our Eurovision entry is actually fantastic! if we don't do well with this girl then we should definitely consider pulling out!

Molly Smitten-Downes. Song is very radio friendly, I liked it instantly. she can sing great live.

The same girl on Twitter mentioned she'd been to the recording of a 12 minute "Eurovision Special"- so that would seem to confirm that the "secret gig" is in fact what's being broadcast tomorrow. The only reason people would have to hand in phones etc. would be for a TV recording- no regular music gig is that private!
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oooo im VERY excited for tomorrow now! :)
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we 100% certain it a female?
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She can certainly sing...

http://youtu.be/h7og7cqzHn0
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this Alissa girl is bluffing but... we'll see.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *in European accent*
    "And 12 points go to ... the United Kingdom"

I want to hear that line again. I remember hearing it in 2009 and near hitting the deck :D
  • Options
    RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »
    Last contribution for a while. Raphaella has her new EP out at the end of the month :O

And is somebody going to tweet her about it, to get a public response? :)

i just tweeted Raphaella about Eurovision but i only asked her if he was aware that her name has been mentioned in relation to the Announcement, will let you know if she replies, she has replied to some of my tweets in the past but as you say her new ep is out soon so its unlikely but i would love it to be her as she has an amazing voice.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Okli wrote: »

Sounds strange to blur it out but not knowing the song. And then the recording is taking place at Cafe de paris
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS people, firstly, add me on Twitter and ill follow you back. @thaliafan2014 . I'm joining the darkside.

Yep, it's Molly, Jack has confirmed it. Sort of. Posh name and shares a name of a Saturday. Not gonna be Frankie!

And she has an orchestra? ****ing Arlene Phillips is going to mess it up, isn't she grr
  • Options
    topdog2006topdog2006 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    Edwin Okli wrote: »

She could well be- but she described the song as "Margaret Berger & Yohanna rolled into one", so at least she knows her Eurovision!
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @AlissaMed @AcerBen Only heard it once so hard to say. Think of it as Margaret Berger & Yohanna rolled into one

if this is true! :O GIVE ME LIFE!
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topdog2006 wrote: »
    She could well be- but she described the song as "Margaret Berger & Yohanna rolled into one", so at least she knows her Eurovision!

That makes me so effin' happy to hear!!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    DS people, firstly, add me on Twitter and ill follow you back. @thaliafan2014 . I'm joining the darkside.

Yep, it's Molly, Jack has confirmed it. Sort of. Posh name and shares a name of a Saturday. Not gonna be Frankie!

And she has an orchestra? ****ing Arlene Phillips is going to mess it up, isn't she grr

I assume she's been locked in the same store cupboard as Katie Taylor
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    *in European accent*
    "And 12 points go to ... the United Kingdom"

I want to hear that line again. I remember hearing it in 2009 and near hitting the deck :D

It also happened in 2011
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Holly, rumoured and dropped within hours!

She DM'd me just before... "Hello! Thank you so much for following! It'd be lovely if you'd "like" my Facebook Music page too? http://facebook.com/HollyDrummondMusic …" - I don't have the heart to unfollow her! :o
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume she's been locked in the same store cupboard as Katie Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4be27E9Auk scroll to the end!
  • Options
    nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    She DM'd me just before... "Hello! Thank you so much for following! It'd be lovely if you'd "like" my Facebook Music page too? http://facebook.com/HollyDrummondMusic …" - I don't have the heart to unfollow her! :o

I got the same message! And I was going to unfollow her straight away once we new it wasnt her...but I can't unfollow her now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »

Very British of you to be too polite to unfollow ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick1990 wrote: »
    I got the same message! And I was going to unfollow her straight away once we new it wasnt her...but I can't unfollow her now!

Do it tomorrow :p:D
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

That really made me laugh!
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is called 'I Will Be Strong' apparently...

Alissa ‏@AlissaMed
    "I Will Be Strong"

Alissa ‏@AlissaMed
    "Everyday I look deep into my soul, try to get the strength to go on.. I will pick myself up, I will be strong"

Alissa ‏@AlissaMed
    That's all the Eurovision info I'm giving out, apparently BBC are on twitter watch.

Ryan ‏@TweetMeRyan
    Looks like the UK's entry is Molly Smitten Downes singing 'I will be strong'. #eurovision #esc2014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three different women suggested in 24 hours has to be a record, even for the UK...!
  • Options
    olijandroolijandro Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    There is no denying it... she can't 'alf bloody belt out some notes!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zIW_6tC1ih4
  • Options
    Wee_OneWee_One Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posted this on another forum but it's sublime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIW_6tC1ih4#t=102

So pleased it's Molly! :)