Options

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Something underlying has changed as I can run an old program that always refused to run in any mode under W8.
    Been using a VM running Vista for it, nice.

If that back compatibility is even better than Win 8, then that could help to bring in converts from XP (still at 23.87% market share - double :o:o), Vista and Win 7.
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got multiple desktops after update, not quite as good as ubuntu, but its very early days yet. :D
    Also plays all my media movies and music, will media player be in unlike win 8?
    And prefer my task bar vertical on left like ubuntu, so glad i can move it.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 10? More like Windows 11

Windows 1.0
    Windows 2.0
    Windows 3.0
    Windows 95 (Windows 4)
    Windows 98 (Windows 5)
    Windows ME (Windows 6)
    Windows XP (Windows 7)
    Windows Vista (Windows 8)
    Windows 7 (Windows 9)
    Windows 8 (Windows 10)
    windows 10 (Windows 11)
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Windows 10? More like Windows 11

Windows 1.0
    Windows 2.0
    Windows 3.0
    Windows 95 (Windows 4)
    Windows 98 (Windows 5)
    Windows ME (Windows 6)
    Windows XP (Windows 7)
    Windows Vista (Windows 8)
    Windows 7 (Windows 9)
    Windows 8 (Windows 10)
    windows 10 (Windows 11)

you missed out 2000 Pro - one of my favs
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Something underlying has changed as I can run an old program that always refused to run in any mode under W8.
    Been using a VM running Vista for it, nice.

Are you sure you weren't trying to run it on 64-bit W8 and now you're using 32-bit W10?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't trying to run it on 64-bit W8 and now you're using 32-bit W10?

I think you had to use 32bit with W7 for more compatibility for legacy applications, with W8 it worked with 64bit, too. Apparently they further improved it with W10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I think you had to use 32bit with W7 for more compatibility for legacy applications, with W8 it worked with 64bit, too. Apparently they further improved it with W10.

Really old 16-bit code won't run on a 64-bit system at all unless you run it in a virtual environment.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

Along with windows 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 3.51 and NT 4 and 98SE a seperate version or just a SP'd version?
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Along with windows 3.1, NT 3.5, NT 3.51 and NT 4 and 98SE a seperate version or just a SP'd version?

3.11 Windows for Workgroups was my initiation into computing, but as for the post about is it 10 or 11 etc, if you look at the main quantum jumps, I'd say taking Windows 95 as the starting point, it's

1 - W95
    2 - W98SE
    3 - Me
    4 - W2000 Pro
    5 - XP
    6 - Vista
    7 - 7
    8 - 8
    9 - 8.1 with update
    10 - 10
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you still missed out the all important NT.

I'm half wondering if Microsoft had in semi-mind 'consumer version' and a business version'.So Windows 3 for consumers was Windows 3.1 and for business Windows 3.11 Windows for Workgroups.
    But what matched consumer 95 in business and what matched consumer 98 ?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That does make sense and I don't know why they didn't say that at the outset. Mind you, just how much 9x software and how many Win 9x systems are still in operation?

I know someone who still has a Windows 98 system! He only upgraded to XP last year and he bought a Windows 7 desktop but he does not want to use it. I was supposed to set it up for him but I didn't get to. He wouldn't let us. I still use a lot of 9x era and XP era games on my Mac's W7 partition. I managed to get a W98 era game working on W7 without any problems :cool:
    Mr Dos wrote: »

Windows 2000 was a good OS. Stable as a rock for its time. My dad used to have it and he said it was good but it took forever to boot up. I loved it back in 2002/2003 when I got to use it. That was before I discovered XP.
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Well, you still missed out the all important NT.

I'm half wondering if Microsoft had in semi-mind 'consumer version' and a business version'.So Windows 3 for consumers was Windows 3.1 and for business Windows 3.11 Windows for Workgroups.
    But what matched consumer 95 in business and what matched consumer 98 ?

Well up until the XP era the NT line was completely separate from the consumer line. I would say the closest to Windows 95 in business was Windows NT 3.51 but it still had the old Windows 3.1 interface with Program Manager and all that. Windows NT 4 was released in 1996 and that was the main business OS til W2000 was released. I used to have NT4 as my old 2003 XP desktop came with it and I had to install XP (I was 13 and I managed it with dad's help :D) on it. I dabbled with NT4 for a bit and it was stable as a rock but utterly useless as none of my games would work on it. Windows 98 was the first Windows I used so I have fond memories of it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    windows 2000 was supposed to be the merging of the NT and the 9x lines and it was pretty good but due to messing ups with directx and other things such as it being a bit of a resource hog and lack of drivers for some graphics cards meant it stayed more in the business environment but it did lay the ground work for XP which pretty much sorted it out
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried loading my Kaspersky, but its not compatible
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=306692

Whats other people got running ok on win 10 re antivirus?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »

with stuff like this i'd generally say its better to just consider it an open system for hackers as things will change so fast its not worth AV companies putting anything out other than as an alpha and with a large warning that changes can and will change how good it is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    windows 2000 was supposed to be the merging of the NT and the 9x lines and it was pretty good but due to messing ups with directx and other things such as it being a bit of a resource hog and lack of drivers for some graphics cards meant it stayed more in the business environment but it did lay the ground work for XP which pretty much sorted it out

Yeah I remember reading about Microsoft Neptune which was an early version of Windows 2000, but instead they decided to make 2000 a business OS and then for home users they brought out ME, which was a collection of bugs rather than an operating system :D
  • Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member

Windows Defender is part of the system and is active. As soon as I booted, Windows Update downloaded the latest definitions for Defender
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I remember reading about Microsoft Neptune which was an early version of Windows 2000, but instead they decided to make 2000 a business OS and then for home users they brought out ME, which was a collection of bugs rather than an operating system :D

having used both OS's from a beta state i can say that windows ME was not too bad, it had its problems but i think that was due to the dev's being sent to the win2k/xp offices 4 days of the week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Let's do the time warp again..." :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    "Let's do the time warp again..." :blush:

Lets do the OS/2 Warp again ;)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to install W10 using virtual box latest version and it kept crashing before it even installed. I even set efi switch and it crashed differently.
    Tried VMware player instead and it worked like a dream (had to select W8 64 bit as the type of OS).

At first start screen did not work properly, only giving a small start page. I was using VM default screen res of 1024*768. When I changed to a higher resolution, then the start screen worked fine. Perhaps a bit big but at last MS are getting there!

Despite rumours, the charm bar is still there.

I went to install chrome and got an irritating metro popup like they do on W8.1 from time to time. I had hoped W10 would stop this when in desktop mode.
    Have yet to test multi desktops.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »

I think it was still there in the presentation. Worth watching the video where some of the reasoning behind their ideas was put forward.....For those interested...W10 for Enterprise
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did an upgrade to a Windows 7 x64 virtual machine to test how well it went, it has BitDefender 2014 anti virus which continues to works perfectly after the upgrade.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Tried to install W10 using virtual box latest version and it kept crashing before it even installed. I even set efi switch and it crashed differently.
    Tried VMware player instead and it worked like a dream (had to select W8 64 bit as the type of OS).

At first start screen did not work properly, only giving a small start page. I was using VM default screen res of 1024*768. When I changed to a higher resolution, then the start screen worked fine. Perhaps a bit big but at last MS are getting there!

I went to install chrome and got an irritating metro popup like they do on W8.1 from time to time. I had hoped W10 would stop this when in desktop mode.
    Have yet to test multi desktops.

This is completely different to previous Windows previews. They will be live testing different features with different groups of people so you will see lots of UI changes over the coming months. This UI is very far from final.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    having used both OS's from a beta state i can say that windows ME was not too bad, it had its problems but i think that was due to the dev's being sent to the win2k/xp offices 4 days of the week

It was my introduction to computing 15 years ago and I didn't know if it was me or not when it kept freezing and bluescreening. When the retailer eventually (third time to bring it back) installed 98SE all was well and never needed to contact them again.
    then for home users they brought out ME, which was a collection of bugs rather than an operating system :D

Indeed. I should have started having kids a couple of years earlier or a couple of years later ... then I would have had a less nerve wracking first experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Indeed. I should have started having kids a couple of years earlier or a couple of years later ... then I would have had a less nerve wracking first experience.

Well my first experience with Windows was 98 and I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread when I first saw it :D Strangely enough, my dad recalls the moment I sat in front of my friend's Windows 98 computer for the first time. Apparently my eyes lit up and I sat there looking as though I had just found my true destiny in life :p I faffed around with the OS and before too long I knew my way around. Nobody gave me any instructions or anything, I taught myself everything I know.