Being Human - Series 5 Discussion/Speculation/Spoilers Tagged

Comments

• †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pre-ordered the 1-5 box! Also listening to the 1&2 score now... I just know I will bawl my eyes out at the end of re-watching it all :cry:
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I don't know. The show might have a big following but I do think that television wise, the show is done with to be honest.

You are probably right, unfortunately. A Hal spin off would be good though - or anything with Damien in it! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my rankings (bearing in mind have only seen each series ONCE!)

series 4
    series 3
    series 5
    series 1
    series 2

From what i remember and how i feel :)
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I think Toby summed it up. You decide the ending. Which I think is kinda cool!

How do you think fans will respond having seen the Being Human finale?

“I wanted the ending to be slightly open-ended so there is something there for the fans to imagine. It’s deliberately ambiguous. Are they trapped in one of Captain Hatch’s dreams or did they escape? I think I know what the answer is, but I could be wrong, and to be honest after the credits roll I’ve got no say in the matter anymore. After the credits roll the characters belong to the fans, and it’s up to them.

“I’m sure many people will hate it and will be absolutely furious with it. It’ll be like issue 700 of Amazing Spider-Man in how it divides the audience. I hope that I don’t get it quite that bad on Being Human, but inevitably there will be some people who don’t like the ending. Just as, if they had skipped off into the sunset happily having saved the world, some people would be dissatisfied with that. But then the most unsatisfying ending would have been if the series had just not been recommissioned and for it to end with Hal strapped in the chair.

“I do feel that whatever people think of the ending it’s a comma not a full stop, it’s not definitive. Partly because I didn’t want their stories to be finite, I wanted there to be room for further adventures and further journeys and so on. I want the future of the characters to belong to the fans. I wanted to leave them with a slightly incomplete story.”

The ending is very ambiguous, and I like that. We're watching 'Being Human' a show for adults, not Disney, and the ambiguity is excellent IMHO.

While there are a number of different interpretations, I myself like the interpretation that they are dead, destroyed along with the Devil. However, there is one agent we're leaving out of this: God.

If the Devil can create a dreamworld/alternate reality, then perhaps God can as well. And might there be a reward for disposing of the Devil? Could it be God who gave the trinity their wish as reward, rather than a Devil wins scenario?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Anyone think the end, brilliant in its own right, was also a nice little tribute to Blade Runner: with the origami unicorn.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series with Russell Tovey in were notable for his buff bod:o,
    but later ones were sadly lacking in that department and I think we woz robbed!!:D

(Sorry to lower the tone).:p
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but later ones were sadly lacking in that department and I think we woz robbed!!:D

Robson Greene's bottom almost took over the previous BH thread. Hilarious.:D

I always think of that thread whenever I see him on TV.

(Sorry to lower the tone further. :o)
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I don't remember Mitchell removing his clothing (must check on DVD when it comes!), he did certainly do that in Dangerous Romantics!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

To be fair, it was a magnificent bum and very worthy of note :D If there was a BAFTA for Best Performance by a Bum it would have won the category :D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

I don't know.

We did get lots of shirtless Hal in Series 4 & 5 to be honest.
    Forum Member
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

(sighs) Russell's arse taking over a show....

I need a cold shower.:o:D
    Forum Member
    Russell Tovey was the first reason why I watched the pilot back in 2008 as I liked him in Voyage Of The Damned.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    my rankings (bearing in mind have only seen each series ONCE!)

series 4
    series 3
    series 5
    series 1
    series 2

From what i remember and how i feel :)

Very hard to rank them - they're all brilliant series and a lot if the positions rest on nostalgia or something significant about the show or even my life at the time!

Series 4
    Series 2
    Series 5
    Series 1
    Series 3
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think you could go anywhere with it and it's only just scratched the surface.

A lot of this was vampire-centric, but there was a certainly a lot to explore involving werewolf lore and so much about ghosts which was only barely touched upon.
    Then there were the occasional zombies and succubus leads which could take us into further areas.

I was never one to subscribe to the idea "They've gone as far as they can go with it". Of course they haven't. A good writer with a good imagination can take you anywhere and veer off into all kinds of directions.

If I had one minor complaint about the last two series it would be that they played a bit too safe by trying to replicate Annie, George and Mitchell with the three new characters and were a bit too close to the original archetypes.
    They could have mixed it up a bit more and still can. I think the only reason why some people think that they can't create anything new is because Hal replayed some of the Mitchell type stories, Tom had similarities to George (Tom is a great character. Probably my favourite out of all of the housemates), and although Alex was quite different to Annie, we got some crossover themes with her too.
    We even had the vampire and ghost having a thing for each other again. (Although thankfully they kept it low key this time).

But my point is that I think it only feels as though they've done everything because they retreaded familiar ground from the first trio of supernaturals, which gives the impression that there are no more stories to be told and they can't do anything else.
    But of course, they can.
    Just because themes started to repeat themselves, it doesn't follow that it means that there was nowhere to go and it would always be the case. It could go off into different tangents if it wanted to.
    If anybody is up to the challenge of generating new themes and stories Toby Whithouse would certainly be the person up for the job.
    As we know, he was ready to go again but got his wings clipped.

As an aside, would I be correct in thinking that in this last series Tom only changed into a werewolf once?
    It just occurred to me that he hardly changed at all this series yet it was still good.
    In this series it felt as though he was more vampire slayer than he was werewolf.

I have no idea if it ever will come back as a series on television. But I just have a sneaking feeling that it possibly will a few years later down the line.
    Even if it doesn't come back as a format on television I think that there will be a many creative fans out there who will collaborate and create new stories themselves which will be delivered on some form of media.

Great post, mate, couldn't agree more. I suspect we have not seen the last of Being Human, even if we have to wait a while for it. Personally I loved every minute, and had it been shown on a mainstream channel, I don't think there would have been any question of it being over forever. :(
    Forum Member
    I can't see it being revived in the immediate future as a show but maybe audios though.
  • crimez83crimez83 Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    So who's going to try 'In The Flesh' tonight? I was going to watch 'The Last Broadcast' again but I have already watched it 4 times this week!
    Forum Member
    I'm giving In The Flesh a go.

I think it looks good and I did rewatch The Last Broadcast yesterday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when BH USA starts on Watch? I really want to see it.

Watched the last episode again tonight, totally different reaction. Last week I was all happy and fluffy that they were human and defeated the devil.

This time I was sad they were in an altenate reality!

I might keep watching it till I get back to happy and fluffy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Funny to see an extra clip of Alex tricking Hal and Tom to do the S Club 7 Reach Out for the Stars routine.

But of course Alex couldn't possibly see Hal in the camera phone video, he's a vampire. Still it was a funny clip!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015lp9x
    Maybe ghost cameras work differently?

Alex doesn't see Hal on the camera phone video, because she says: "I just wish I could get a picture of the both of you."
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit late to the party I know but...

Series 5
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 2
    Series 3

I did miss Herrick from the later series but I found Tom adorable & prefer him and Hal to Mitchell & George.
    Forum Member
    Alex's Unfinished Business scenes were a blast.

I really do hope all of them are on the Series 5 DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know when BH USA starts on Watch?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saxy wrote: »
    Bit late to the party I know but...

Series 5
    Series 4
    Series 1
    Series 2
    Series 3

I did miss Herrick from the later series but I found Tom adorable & prefer him and Hal to Mitchell & George.

oh i definitely do although i do like George :D
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know when BH USA starts on Watch?

April 11th at 9pm.