UK without Scotland

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Is he British or Scottish through?

I know he comes from Scotland but England tennis needs him too.

Im proud to be British and Scottish and most people north of the border think that way, although Scottish first but Andy plays tennis under GB, he doesn't have a problem with that and nor does anybody else.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Hard to see how it could still be called an united kingdom.
    Which two kingdoms would still be united?

Wales and NI aren't kingdoms.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Hard to see how it could still be called an united kingdom.
    Which two kingdoms would still be united?

Wales and NI aren't kingdoms.

UK isn't Kingdoms though, it's Kingdom. Also, Wales was once a collection of Kingdoms. You just have to add "and Northern Ireland" to make it work.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Well it is in Ireland, geographically, but politically it is part of the United Kingdom.
    The whole island of Ireland is geographically still part of the British isles, much to the dislike of many Irish republicans.
    Scotland will always be part of Great Britain even if it leaves the United Kingdom and gets independence.
    Political entities can change but geography can't.

I know, that's basic knowledge.

Very little people take any notice of that British isles term though, it is mostly viewed as an old term to show Britains control over the whole islands, only Rep.of Ireland people who fawn over a British identity use it. The term is too steeped in politics to have any credibility.
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    UK isn't Kingdoms though, it's Kingdom. Also, Wales was once a collection of Kingdoms. You just have to add "and Northern Ireland" to make it work.

Should Scotland leave it wouldn't be united anymore though.
    It'd be divided!
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im proud to be British and Scottish and most people north of the border think that way, although Scottish first but Andy plays tennis under GB, he doesn't have a problem with that and nor does anybody else.

I don't know that most [ the majority ? ] of Scots consider being British at all, that's not to say they are anti British or pro SNP, just that they are Scottish first and foremost.

As for Andy, he has deftly sashayed around any dalliances with the either the YES and |No campaigns and remains [ much to Salmond's annoyance no doubt ] a shining example of how being Scottish and British doesn't need to be THAT complicated or weird.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Should Scotland leave it wouldn't be united anymore though.
    It'd be divided!

DK then?

Or United Kingdoms of Wales, with England and Northern Ireland? I bet you'd like that one! ;-)
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    DK then?

Or United Kingdoms of Wales, with England and Northern Ireland? I bet you'd like that one! ;-)

:D. I think it sounds absurd to have Wales and NI count as kingdoms.
    If/when Scotland leaves what you then have is a giant England with two anomalous bits attached.

NI will eventually join the republic once the catholics have bonked themselves into a big majority there, and that will leave 'England and Wales' - that perennial name.

In such a situation I think Wales would have to decide either full subsumption into England, dissolving the assembly etc or go for full independence.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    I prefer "Kingdom of England" officially and "England" in short form once we're rid of Wales and Northern Ireland too.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always taught at school that Northern Ireland was in Ireland, regardless of what kingdom it was in. If you lived here you would appreciate how different it is to 'the mainland'

We were always taught that we were part of the UK, Ireland was seldom mentioned apart from when learning about the famine

To me, we are very similar to the UK mainland (been and lived there many times) and very different to RoI

I imagine it's a case of different backgrounds and preferences
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To me, we are very similar to the UK mainland (been and lived there many times) and very different to RoI

Apart from the flags, what is it with flags and badly executed [ no pun intended ] murals in N.I. ?
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were always taught that we were part of the UK, Ireland was seldom mentioned apart from when learning about the famine

I imagine it's a case of different backgrounds and preferences

In terms of looks N.Ireland obviously looks like GB but i lived in england for a while and found it hard to adjust back to n.ireland life, England is such a normal society and there is such a different vibe over here. Regarding RoI, that comes down to culture, nationslists grew up going down there for sports games and holidays and we have more in common with them than GB, highland Scotland would be our next 'culture connection' after the republic
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of looks N.Ireland obviously looks like GB but i lived in england for a while and found it hard to adjust back to n.ireland life, England is such a normal society and there is such a different vibe over here.

In what way do you think there a different vibe between English and NI life? I don't think the rest of the UK is that different to here, nor that different to ROI either
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way the governments over the years, above all the Tory Party under Thatcher, treated Scotland, I think anything this current loser Cameron says against devolution can only be seen as an endorsement for voting 'yes'. The Tories have shit on Scotland (and Northern Britain as a whole) for too long.

Where are evil cretins like IDS going to roll out their trials in the future without Scotland? Essex? Berkshire? Kent? The rest of the Tory heartlands? I don't think so somehow. It beggars belief why chavvy Hertfordshire even thinks it's a Conservative county any more...
  • jamiestjamiest Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Where would a 'Yes' vote leave the Duke of Edinburgh? He could hardly be a Duke of a foreign regime could he?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    jamiest wrote: »
    Where would a 'Yes' vote leave the Duke of Edinburgh? He could hardly be a Duke of a foreign regime could he?

I doubt they'd bother to change it this late in his life - the title would just die with him.
    Forum Member

Isn't he still officially Philip Mountbatten, Prince of Greece and Denmark?
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't he still officially Philip Mountbatten, Prince of Greece and Denmark?

I think he renounced his foreign titles before marrying.

But if Scotland remains in the Commonwealth I don't see why he can't retain Duke of Edinburgh (in the same way that Charles is Duke of Rothesay when he's up here). They don't actually get any land or special rights over us.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    The way the governments over the years, above all the Tory Party under Thatcher, treated Scotland, I think anything this current loser Cameron says against devolution can only be seen as an endorsement for voting 'yes'. The Tories have shit on Scotland (and Northern Britain as a whole) for too long.

Where are evil cretins like IDS going to roll out their trials in the future without Scotland? Essex? Berkshire? Kent? The rest of the Tory heartlands? I don't think so somehow. It beggars belief why chavvy Hertfordshire even thinks it's a Conservative county any more...

Oh please. You're not still under the illusion that Scotland was somehow a guinea pig for the Poll Tax??? It's one myth that will never die because it suits so many Scots to believe it.

Scottish Tories asked for the Poll Tax to be introduced to Scotland before England. Westminster i.e. Thatcher wanted it introduced across the entire UK at the same time, not just in Scotland.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/david-torrance-modern-myth-of-a-poll-tax-test-bed-lives-on-1-1031968

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/myth-and-truth-on-poll-tax-1.378724
  • pcdocpcdoc Posts: 88
    Forum Member

He got the title because he married the Duchess of Edinburgh. The Queens title before she became Queen. As she will still be Queen of Scots after any outcome to the referendum, I would assume her Scottish titles would remain the same so they wouldn't affect the Dukes title.

To go back to the original question as a Scot without a vote I would prefer Greater Britain after all the new Greater Britain would be made up of the Kingdom of England, the Principality of Wales and the Province of Northern Ireland and a few other bits and pieces.

I do suppose it would give us the opportunity to include a Welsh part of a new Union Flag. In the event of a split up, after all it is made up at the moment of the crosses of St George, Andrew, and Patrick.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    pcdoc wrote: »
    He got the title because he married the Duchess of Edinburgh. The Queens title before she became Queen.
    I never knew that! Always assumed the title had been created for him specially.
    To go back to the original question as a Scot without a vote I would prefer Greater Britain after all the new Greater Britain would be made up of the Kingdom of England, the Principality of Wales and the Province of Northern Ireland and a few other bits and pieces.
    That's it, isn't it? There are no other "bits and pieces" in the UK, and there wouldn't be any in the rUK!
    Forum Member

Wales isn't a principality

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/international-body-grants-wales-country-1813629
    I do suppose it would give us the opportunity to include a Welsh part of a new Union Flag. In the event of a split up, after all it is made up at the moment of the crosses of St George, Andrew, and Patrick.
    No thanks. Not only would it look extremely tacky, but it'd also be very problematic to alter, given its status and recognition over the world. What would happen to the flags of Australia and New Zealand for example?

Besides, we have our own flag, and don't need to be validated by inclusion on the union flag.
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I never knew that! Always assumed the title had been created for him specially.

That's it, isn't it? There are no other "bits and pieces" in the UK, and there wouldn't be any in the rUK!

The United Kingdom has sovereignty over seventeen territories which do not form part of the United Kingdom itself: Fourteen British Overseas Territories and three Crown Dependencies.
    Gibraltar for instance votes as part of the SW euro constituency for the European Elections. So part of but not part of.
    However the legal make up it would still constitute the greater part of the Island of Great Britain, hence Greater Britain works for me.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He got the title because he married the Duchess of Edinburgh. The Queens title before she became Queen. As she will still be Queen of Scots after any outcome to the referendum, I would assume her Scottish titles would remain the same so they wouldn't affect the Dukes title.

Prince philip, duke of athens, i think.
    Forum Member
    Wales isn't a principality

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/international-body-grants-wales-country-1813629

No thanks. Not only would it look extremely tacky, but it'd also be very problematic to alter, given its status and recognition over the world. What would happen to the flags of Australia and New Zealand for example?

Besides, we have our own flag, and don't need to be validated by inclusion on the union flag.

I've always referred to it asone. That doesn't of course make it right but I'll wait on the UN declaring it a country rather than ISO which is more akin to describing household appliances, and business standards.

Scotland, England and Northern Ireland all have their own flags too none of them require validation on a union flag. However I did point out that it is a bit of a misnomer that Wales is the only constituent part of the UK not directly represented on the Union Flag. Indeed I live in Bedfordshire which also has it's own flag, as does Luton, the town I live in none of those are included in the union flag, and rightly so.

Thinking about it, the Union Flag would have to be redesigned if Scotland seeded from the UK. So it would be a perfect time to decide if the St Patrick Cross should still be included after all it was left in when the republic of Ireland was created as Northern Ireland was still part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I would imagine that very few people in NI consider the St Patrick Cross representative of them