Options

UK adopting the EURO

13»

Comments

• Options
    Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    We should join the Euro. A European superstate should be the ultimate goal and should be desired. It's the only way to stand up to the cultural imperialism of America
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    We should join the Euro. A European superstate should be the ultimate goal and should be desired. It's the only way to stand up to the cultural imperialism of America

Lol. OK. Dearie me Let's tie ourself to a backward inefficient shrinking trading block and a currency which is doomed to fail so we can bash those evil yanks rolls eyes.
  • Options
    Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Lol. OK.

Why's that funny? We are Europeans, and the EU has dramatically changed Europe for the better. What would you rather, be in bed with people with similar beliefs and values, other European countries, or the crazy right wing Americans?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    Why's that funny? We are Europeans, and the EU has dramatically changed Europe for the better. What would you rather, be in bed with people with similar beliefs and values, other European countries, or the crazy right wing Americans?

See my edited post above. The EU has made Europe better? Oh please. Tell that to most of southern Europe. Who have 60% youth unemployment. Yet they are trapped in the economic prison known as the EUro. Tell that to small and medium sized businesses. Who suffer under Brussels incessant regulations. The EU is a backwards shrinking part of world trade. We need to escape its clutches and rejoin the rest of the world which is actually growing.

As for seeing America as a threat. I bet if you asked the vast majority of the public who they feel closer to cultrally, they would say the Anglosphere rather than continental Europe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Yes Walter. The Italian economy is hugely dynamic. Not. Over the last 10 years Italy has been virtually Stagnant in growth. You're on the verge of going into another recession.

And you have something like 40% youth unemployment. You need to be free of the shackles of the Euro and get your own currency back again. The EU and Euro certainly do not work for Italy. And it's disingenuous to pretend it does.

Italy's economy is stagnant beacuse our politics, our labour unions and our lobbyes are not capable to completely change the way.
    I mean...we need to heavily reduce the weight of state in economy and also to reduce the number of laws and regulations.

Euro is actually overrated (the best value it would be 1.18$/€)...this is the only problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WalterA wrote: »
    Italy's economy is stagnant beacuse our politics, our labour unions and our lobbyes are not capable to completely change the way.
    I mean...we need to heavily reduce the weight of state in economy and also to reduce the number of laws and regulations.

Euro is actually overrated (the best value it would be 1.18$/€)...this is the only problem.

You've completely ignored all my points above. I agree with you to an extent in the way that Italy needs a more stable government but a lot of the things you mention cannot be achieved while you're trapped in the Euro. Basically the fact you've given economic power to the ECB means you're no longer a democracy.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately there are still politicians who would like us to join the Euro. Paddy Backdown is one and I bet Ken Clarke wants us to join the Euro too (he really is a lone voice in the Conservative Party now.)

And Michael Heseltine, who said in recent years, " The Euro will recover and Britain will join." I think he meant the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I don't understand why you think it has to be an 'all or nothing'.

Because of the clause that states, "Ever closer union", which implies that joining the Euro is unavoidable. The dictatorial EU politicians won't be satisfied until member countries have become an homogenised single block devoid of democracy and its people have completely submitted to their wishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    And Michael Heseltine, who said in recent years, " The Euro will recover and Britain will join." I think he meant the UK.

:D Both of them live in a dream world.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's overvalue for Italy (and most of the rest) and undervalued for Germany (who are making a killing out of it)

That is the problem
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For Germany, the euro is now too low.
    The problem is that no other country can survive with a fixed exchange rate with Germany - but that is what joining the euro entails.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    For Germany, the euro is now too low.
    The problem is that no other country can survive with a fixed exchange rate with Germany - but that is what joining the euro entails.

Its the political union though, at the heart of it. In the end its one country. Thats what they want.

In the US they dont say no other state can survive with the same currency as California.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the political union though, at the heart of it. In the end its one country. Thats what they want.

In the US they dont say no other state can survive with the same currency as California.

They EU and US are not comparable though. Each of the 50 states share a flag, and a belief in the fact that they are all Americans. Although the states are different, they at the end of the day consider themselves one country. This will never happen in the EU. The cultures are too different.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They EU and US are not comparable though. Each of the 50 states share a flag, and a belief in the fact that they are all Americans. Although the states are different, they at the end of the day consider themselves one country. This will never happen in the EU. The cultures are too different.

Well thats the way its heading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well thats the way its heading.

Totally agree. Which is why the chances of yet another war in Europe eventually get greater and greater. If you don't carry the people with you, that what will happen. Hopefully we'll be out of it someday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To those of you who believe that a United States of Europe is just a matter of recreating another USA there are four fundamental and important differences.

The USA began from nothing. Its people had a common land, a common language, a common history and, more importantly, a common goal. The EU and its constituent countries has none of these. In order to create a UAE the EU would have to destroy each country's previous existence (and some would argue that it is already doing a good job of that) including their myriad languages and currencies.

It's not too dissimilar to Pol Pot's dream of creating a new country by declaring "Year Zero" in Cambodia except they're not murdering the dissenters - yet !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    To those of you who believe that a United States of Europe is just a matter of recreating another USA there are three fundamental difficulties.

Firstly, the USA began from nothing. Its people had a common land, a common language and, more importantly, a common aim. The EU and its constituent countries has none of these. In order to create a UAE the EU would have to destroy each country's previous existence (and some would argue that it is doing a good job of that) including their myriad languages and currencies.

It's not too dissimilar to Pol Pot's dream of creating a new country by declaring "Year Zero" except they're not murdering the dissenters - yet !

Brilliant post.