Options

Ramadan and Children

Comments

• Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe people just find the whole concept very strange?. It feels like in this country we were beginning to consign religion (all religions) to the dustbin of the past. Where they belong.:) of course.

Now it seems as if they are back, in yer face and what is more it would appear that there is a requirement to respect them or else!.

My cousin used to work in some sort of office and they (the non-Muslims) were cheerfully informed that they should be careful not to eat at their desks (during Ramadan-a-ding-dong) lest it made the very few Muslims in the office feel uncomfortable!. If I was her I would have ordered several pizzas and a black forest gateau!.

As you can tell I am just sick and tired of hearing about patriarchal, misogynistic, homophobic religions.:( I feel really depressed about them.:(

religion does seen more in your face again than it was sadly>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    They're nostalgic for the times when they could burn us at the stake for our atheism. Meanwhile, apostasy is still a capital offence in some countries.

Luckily we are free to be atheists now adays,and it should all ways be that way.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Luckily we are free to be atheists now adays,and it should all ways be that way.

And religious people are free to be religious.
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    And religious people are free to be religious.

If they want to follow the invisible man in the sky, that's up to them. You can't account for stupidity.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to follow the invisible man in the sky, that's up to them. You can't account for stupidity.

And you are free to be inaccurate and demonstrably rude and offensive in public.
    Long may such freedom last.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    And you are free to be inaccurate and demonstrably rude and offensive in public.
    Long may such freedom last.

Inaccurate? Perhaps you'll provide the photographic evidence for this god? As for rude and offensive, when I can go down my main shopping street on a Saturday afternoon without being called a sinner who will burn in hell by a preacher with a loudspeaker, I'll be polite to the religious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inaccurate? Perhaps you'll provide the photographic evidence for this god? As for rude and offensive, when I can go down my main shopping street on a Saturday afternoon without being called a sinner who will burn in hell by a preacher with a loudspeaker, I'll be polite to the religious.

When I was in town the other week there was a religious but job shouting at people with a loudspeaker:o its not right they can get away with that,if a atheist was shouting out about religion is wrong they be arrested.
  • Options
    david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why are the powers that be, and the NSPCC as well, not critical of the idea of forcing children to go without food for Ramadan?

If you had of done some indepth research into ramadam and its required to fast but can do if they are self willing.
  • Options
    david_kenndavid_kenn Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atheism should be consigned to dustbin where they belong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    david_kenn wrote: »

Lol, I don't think that's right. People can choose whether to believe in God or not but it seems to be in real life and on DS that not everyone would be happy to see religion have a part in the world and for some people to come up with rubbish like "God isn't real" etc and they can GTFO for saying that.
    Personally I don't care whether someone believes in God or not as you cannot judge a person because they believe in God and there's more to them than religion.

There are bad religious people and good religious people in the world and the bad are not holy because they go round killing people and God didn't want that.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    why are the powers that be, and the NSPCC as well, not critical of the idea of forcing children to go without food for Ramadan?
    Children are not required to participate in Ramadan, nor are sick people or pregnant people.
    And as some one else pointed out muslims participate in Ramadan by choice, they are not 'forced'.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breastfeeding mothers are not required to observe Ramadan. Also menstruating women are exempt so I believe. I used to work with several Muslims and I know my friend was embarrassed at having to disclose she had her period when a man questioned why she wasn't fasting.

I found out yesterday wearing lipstick isn't allowed, nothing must touch the lips.

I hope the fellow believed the excuse and didn't punish the poor lady.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This comes up every year nowadays it seems. In Islam, you aren't supposed to observe Ramadan until you're of a certain age, where your body can handle it. Clearly a growing child is still forming and as such they aren't supposed to do it. I started when I was around 12 or 14 if I recall.

Also - I wasn't forced. I wanted to do it. I asked to do it. My parents were happy for me to choose. It really is a choice. Or it's meant to be. Did you not know this?

If children are being forced then it breaks the conventions of Ramadan and young children shouldn't be doing it anyway. So on both counts that shouldn't happen.

Are you upset with the children aspect specifically or Ramadan as a whole?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's a nice sweeping generalization for you. Which are the three religious denominations which have campaigned for years to be allowed to marry same sex couples?

Quakers
    Unitarians
    Liberal Jews.

We`re talking about Orthodox Judaism, Islam and mainstream Christianity as being Roman Catholic, which is the single biggest denomination and mainstream protestant denominations all of which are deeply anti-gay.

Nothing was said about Quakers or Liberal Jews or Unitarians because these are not mainstream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why atheist have the right to exist you know and be free of religion, if you want to religious that's up to you but don't aspect atheists to follow the your religious ways,

How would you like it someone said religion should be put in the bin?
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    I hope the fellow believed the excuse and didn't punish the poor lady.

I would have thought he was out of order to ask in the first place really. He should have just assumed that she had her own reasons and left it at that.
    Religion should be a personal matter.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meatless/fish on fridays is hardly fasting. On that basis vegetarians are fasting

Catholic vegetarians are supposed to give up what would constitute the main part of their main meal as well.

Also, people fast (or used to) before Holy Communion. When I was a kid, that meant nothing after tea on Saturday night until you got back from church the next morning or afternoon. Some households took that very seriously, others not so much, just as when Catholics were no longer required to abstain from meat on Fridays, some people did it anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Catholic vegetarians are supposed to give up what would constitute the main part of their main meal as well.

Also, people fast (or used to) before Holy Communion. When I was a kid, that meant nothing after tea on Saturday night until you got back from church the next morning or afternoon. Some households took that very seriously, others not so much, just as when Catholics were no longer required to abstain from meat on Fridays, some people did it anyway.

Correct, the fast before Holy Communion is now 1 hour I believe.

You are also right when the rules surrounding Friday abstinence were relaxed some people still practiced the non meat rule others donated to charity or gave up something else instead because the choice was optional.

But in September 2011 the practice of abstaining from meat was reintroduced for Catholics in England and Wales, the reason for its reintroduction was the fact many Catholics were wrongly believing that they didn`t have to do any form of penance leading them to not doing anything on Fridays which is why the practice was brought back.

Also you are correct vegetarians are also required to give up something else instead of meat so even they aren`t exempt as some would believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Feel the love. Peace brother!
  • Options
    Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is obligatory at puberty, which could be as young as 9 or 10 I guess. I think you'd have to be very blinkered to think some don't force it on even younger children.
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is obligatory at puberty, which could be as young as 9 or 10 I guess. I think you'd have to be very blinkered to think some don't force it on even younger children.

so what if they do, its hardly malnutrition 24/7 365
    one could argue many other "religious" norms are child abuse but this one isnt so save your 10 p and dont call nspcc

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same could be said for Islam, its only your irrelevant opinion! Besides facts speak for themselves, Islam has caused more death and destruction suppression oppression and evil acts than any atheists musings and beliefs..FACT

Youre better off being an atheist or agnostic as it makes the world more civilised and peaceful..let us know when you convert to the more intelligent position
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    How would you like it someone said religion should be put in the bin?

Try Post #50 "It feels like in this country we were beginning to consign religion (all religions) to the dustbin of the past. Where they belong. of course."
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    so what if they do, its hardly malnutrition 24/7 365
    one could argue many other "religious" norms are child abuse but this one isnt so save your 10 p and dont call nspcc

but going without water for such lengths of time is bloody ridiculous. It doesn't matter how you dress it up. Also no child should be forced by their parents to follow any particular religion either.

Things like christening's should be outlawed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    but going without water for such lengths of time is bloody ridiculous. It doesn't matter how you dress it up. Also no child should be forced by their parents to follow any particular religion either.

Things like christening's should be outlawed

A) I dont believe for a second any parent in reality does deprive their kid of water or any other drink all day
    B) It has been explained further up in the thread kids are exempt and in anycase no one is compelled to do this unless they want to

if you have proof or anecdotal evidence to the contrary then post it....I doubt it as the filthy Mail will have done a storyor two all these years

im not a Muslim but I find this objection to their religious practices a bit hysterical, what with nspcc being alerted etc!!!
    in fact I would go as far as to say its anti Muslim bashing masquerading as concern for kids, and really low and stupid

not sure what you mean re your comment about christenings being outlawed

:confused: