Options

UK immigration rockets

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28964323
Net migration into the UK totalled 243,000 in the year up to March, up from 175,000 in the previous 12 months, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics said the increase in migration was "statistically significant".

Publicly, the Tories and political class will express concern. Privately I suspect they'll be delighted!

Maybe this will bring about a mass house/school/hospital building programme to cope with demand? As if :D

Comments

• Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is impossible to do anything to stop it unless we leave the EU.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles wrote: »

Only to an extent. While the majority, two thirds of the increase, was from EU citizens, one third wasn't so the Tories, who say they want to, are not getting anywhere near to controlling it and appear to just be making the 'correct' noises about it.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It puts Miliband's pledge to building 200,000 extra houses a year into perspective.

Allowing this scale of migration without increasing the infrastructure to cope with it is the worst of both worlds. We need to either restrict numbers coming in or build the houses/roads/public services to cope with them. I would strongly support the latter option but would grudgingly accept the former as preferable to the current situation.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Only to an extent. While the majority, two thirds of the increase, was from EU citizens, one third wasn't so the Tories, who say they want to, are not getting anywhere near to controlling it and appear to just be making the 'correct' noises about it.

I agree, so It looks like only Labour have the plans and policies to control mass immigration, what are their policies?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It puts Miliband's pledge to building 200,000 extra houses a year into perspective.

Allowing this scale of migration without increasing the infrastructure to cope with it is the worst of both worlds. We need to either restrict numbers coming in or build the houses/roads/public services to cope with them. I would strongly support the latter option but would grudgingly accept the former as preferable to the current situation.

Building more infrastructure to cope with immigration is not the answer. Stopping these numbers coming in the first place is the answer.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    And in an unrelated matter, class sizes are rocketing...
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    Building more infrastructure to cope with immigration is not the answer. Stopping these numbers coming in the first place is the answer.

Why? A larger population means larger economy and higher defence spending which means a stronger UK? Surely if you really loved this country you would support higher migration? ;-)
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

When I saw this on the news they did not try at all to try and explain why this may be? It is obviousness to everyone why its happening but people like the BBC do not want to point out the reason as it goes against their mantra of anyone who wants coming to the UK to stay and it has no impact on those already here.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? A larger population means larger economy and higher defence spending which means a stronger UK? Surely if you really loved this country you would support higher migration? ;-)

A rather simplisitic argument which takes no account of the increased costs to government of a larger population. Plus of course the UK has a rather large budget deficit which is not going to be resolved through immigration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    A rather simplisitic argument which takes no account of the increased costs to government of a larger population. Plus of course the UK has a rather large budget deficit which is not going to be resolved through immigration.

Exactly. A smaller slice of a bigger cake helps nobody. I want England to remain a green and pleasant land, so would oppose any major building program anywhere. There is enough housing, just too many people.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This issue is providing some work for my industry mind. Schools that were completed just a 2-4 years ago are having to be extended. Not good for the local authority though, as cut back will have to be made elsewhere to fund these expansions.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styles wrote: »

Ah the old blame something else excuse.

The Tories promised they'd control it, they haven't.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's Tory Britain for you and the likes of Gove.

You should have seen it under Thatcher.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK immigration rockets
    why did you use the word 'rockets' instead of the word 'rises' or 'increases' ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

Every government that has been in power over the last half a century is to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    UK immigration rockets
    why did you use the word 'rockets' instead of the word 'rises' or 'increases' ?

Because the jump in numbers seems to be historically unprecedented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed. a 39% increase compared to last year is huge. Whatever happened to 'tens of thousands'?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Net migration into the UK totalled 243,000 in the year up to March..."

Are you saying that we have never ever had a figure higher than 243,000 ?
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a complete disaster, we have to make it an undesirable place for these people to come to and the only way to do that is to create mass unemployment.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »

I agree.

There should be a virtual stop to ANY non-EU migration unless we are in dire need of the person's skills. A complete stop to mothers, fathers, grandfathers, grandmothers, 4th and 5th cousins.

A referendum as soon as possible regarding the EU so that we can stop that too.

The Tories should have done 1) and haven't - they have promised 2).

The suggestion that Labour would do anything other than make the problem 10 times worse is utterly laughable and the public knows it.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    Every government that has been in power over the last half a century is to blame.

Absolutely.

There has been a consensus amongst the political establishment that was never mandated by the people. It is a disgrace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    "Net migration into the UK totalled 243,000 in the year up to March..."

Are you saying that we have never ever had a figure higher than 243,000 ?

This subject it about the change in numbers i.e. the number of immigrants 'rocketing' over last year.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    This shows that the Tories are full of it as they always say that EU migration is a lot smaller than non EU migration and even if it is on the whole (I don't know), it is the EU migration that has led to the increase! All the while this outrageous Government are still blocking British people from bringing their non EU born spouse to the UK unless they earn a minimum of £18,600.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
    Forum Member
    Its a complete disaster, we have to make it an undesirable place for these people to come to and the only way to do that is to create mass unemployment.

So your openly advocating discriminating against ethnic minorities and non indigenous people? Well I think thats outrageous as well and it would be illegal but I've got no doubt its going on too. 45% of ethnic minorities are unemployed and I doubt thats because they don't want to work! >:( >:( >:( @ those discriminating against them!!!!
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So its more like well over half a million .......plus hundreds of thousands who sneak in or overstay their student visas in reality per year , plus 2 million illegal immigrants. Truly disastrous figures that will only get much worse. Its clear the Conservatives have lost control of immigration and our borders and let the country down. But Labour would be much much worse. :(