Options

a slightly morbid topic ...

Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... and i say straight away no offence intended, nor do i wish to upset anyone, but sometimes strange thoughts enter my little brain!

if tragedy was to strike and one of the stars or pro dancers was to emmm suddenly waltz off to the big dance floor in the sky, would the rest of the run get pulled or would they maybe just cancel one week out of respect and then carry on?

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and i say straight away no offence intended, nor do i wish to upset anyone, but sometimes strange thoughts enter my little brain!

if tragedy was to strike and one of the stars or pro dancers was to emmm suddenly waltz off to the big dance floor in the sky, would the rest of the run get pulled or would they maybe just cancel one week out of respect and then carry on?

Difficult to say, there's "big ratings at stake here." The least they could do is put it back a week.

I was surprised that the BBC didn't take action at the end of the season before last, given the progressively numerous failings of the old codger.
    If he'd "died in harness," it would have been difficult for the whole show to recover at all.

It wouldn't be the same as the Tommy Cooper tragedy, as that was a "one off" show, not a series.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member

I have thought about this too. (So you are not the only morbid one). I had thought about it in relation to Brucie. Can you imagine if he had died during a series or worse on the live show? That would have really put a dampener on the super exuberant happy, happy, happy show.

How would the show have gone on in those circumstances? Doesn't bear thinking about. I suspect the producers are kind of relieved that they don't have to think about that any more.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they would put it back a week at least. The same for one of the judges I expect.
  • Options
    RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's showbiz and there's the old slogan of "The Show Must Go On"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    The pros are such troupers they would probably carry right on if their celeb died mid-botafogo on the live show. Anton would lift, lift, lift while shouting words of encouragement like 'Go towards the light, love!' Kristina would swirl round the corpse like a bacchanalian orgiast hoping the rigor mortis was indistinguishable from her usual level of partner. Natalie would do some fierce, distracting skirt-swishing and head rolls and declare to the nation 'I've always dreamed of dancing with a corpse. I couldn't believe my luck when I got partnered with this corpse. When the corpse had heart failure in the middle of the routine it was my best experience on a dance-floor ever.' Ola would prop the corpse into a kneeling position and then physically send it in a sliding diagonal across the floor. Brendan would perform CPR in time to the beat while inwardly screaming 'Why God? Why? Why not Bloody Lulu?' We could only rely on Aliona to give the freshly deceased a dismissive kick and say 'Week 3 and you die on me? Week ****ing Three????????' She may even do a spit.
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have thought about this too. (So you are not the only morbid one). I had thought about it in relation to Brucie. Can you imagine if he had died during a series or worse on the live show? That would have really put a dampener on the super exuberant happy, happy, happy show.

How would the show have gone on in those circumstances
    ? Doesn't bear thinking about. I suspect the producers are kind of relieved that they don't have to think about that any more.

Weekend at Brucie's ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCTgcZ6ImsQ
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pros are such troupers they would probably carry right on if their celeb died mid-botafogo on the live show. Anton would lift, lift, lift while shouting words of encouragement like 'Go towards the light, love!' Kristina would swirl round the corpse like a bacchanalian orgiast hoping the rigor mortis was indistinguishable from her usual level of partner. Natalie would do some fierce, distracting skirt-swishing and head rolls and declare to the nation 'I've always dreamed of dancing with a corpse. I couldn't believe my luck when I got partnered with this corpse. When the corpse had heart failure in the middle of the routine it was my best experience on a dance-floor ever.' Ola would prop the corpse into a kneeling position and then physically send it in a sliding diagonal across the floor. Brendan would perform CPR in time to the beat while inwardly screaming 'Why God? Why? Why not Bloody Lulu?' We could only rely on Aliona to give the freshly deceased a dismissive kick and say 'Week 3 and you die on me? Week ****ing Three????????' She may even do a spit.

This gets my vote as post of the week (and maybe the series.) The Kristina, Natalie and Aliona bits - all brilliant!
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The producers would say, 'X would want the show to go on so we are acting in accordance with his/her wishes!'
  • Options
    CallmepitstopCallmepitstop Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This gets my vote as post of the week (and maybe the series.) The Kristina, Natalie and Aliona bits - all brilliant!

Agreed!! Gave me a good giggle :D
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it came close with Jimmy Tarbuck. IIRC he left because of heart problems. I can see it happening at some point on SCD or DWTS because there's always one celeb who looks like a health risk. For me this year it's Alison, last year it was Tony. It was Bruce every year - thought that's what he was aiming for tbh - and Len's no spring chicken these days.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

this actually happened on the Turkish (I think) version of the show - it was called Yok Boyle Dans - Lilia was head judge - one of the celebs who was on the show, sadly passed away - out of respect the show was cancelled for one week
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

That was a happy bit of nostalgia. I had such a crush on Andrew McCarthy once upon a time.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

And then Tess would interview the corpse and say 'we all loved it, didn't we!'
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it happened just before halloween it would be ideal.
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3198/2988826422_64dfb8466d.jpg
  • Options
    RichwoodRichwood Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were contestant family member bereavements on DWTS a few years ago and the show went on, so maybe after one week's delay, the show would probably go on. They might go on straight away with a minute's silence on the show immediately after the bereavement.

But hey, let's not dwell on this, let's just think positive about the show's goings on. Hope this thread itself will die a death quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, the way he dressed, Bruce was always ready for the occasion, "one way or another," He reminded me somewhat of John Laurie, the undertaker in "Dad's Army."
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »

Craig would perhaps get the '1' paddle out for the first time but Len would still give them a '7'.

If it was one of the contestants then I am sure they would cut away from the programme and cancel the Sunday one. Practically, if the person popped their clogs unexpectedly during the programme then the police could well decide the studio was a 'crime scene' - they are very fond of doing that now. :confused::confused::confused:

If it happened during the week the Saturday programme could turn into some sort of tribute perhaps. There would be no need of an elimination that week so they could pick up the series the following week. If the others were particularly upset they could perhaps skip elimination again and do a double elimination the following week.

I would not be surprised if someone has worked out a contingency plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Craig would perhaps get the '1' paddle out for the first time but Len would still give them a '7'.

If it was one of the contestants then I am sure they would cut away from the programme and cancel the Sunday one. Practically, if the person popped their clogs unexpectedly during the programme then the police could well decide the studio was a 'crime scene' - they are very fond of doing that now. :confused::confused::confused:

If it happened during the week the Saturday programme could turn into some sort of tribute perhaps. There would be no need of an elimination that week so they could pick up the series the following week. If the others were particularly upset they could perhaps skip elimination again and do a double elimination the following week.

I would not be surprised if someone has worked out a contingency plan.

Yes! The BBC would always have had a contingency plan. They've plenty of staff to be able to do it.

It's a bit like the preparedness of the press, when journalists have nothing better to do, they up-date the biographies, of the "dead pool."
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The producers would say, 'X would want the show to go on so we are acting in accordance with his/her wishes!'

That's just been inserted into next year's contracts.
  • Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perfect post - astute and genuinely funny :D
  • Options
    strictlyinlovestrictlyinlove Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    The pros are such troupers they would probably carry right on if their celeb died mid-botafogo on the live show. Anton would lift, lift, lift while shouting words of encouragement like 'Go towards the light, love!' Kristina would swirl round the corpse like a bacchanalian orgiast hoping the rigor mortis was indistinguishable from her usual level of partner. Natalie would do some fierce, distracting skirt-swishing and head rolls and declare to the nation 'I've always dreamed of dancing with a corpse. I couldn't believe my luck when I got partnered with this corpse. When the corpse had heart failure in the middle of the routine it was my best experience on a dance-floor ever.' Ola would prop the corpse into a kneeling position and then physically send it in a sliding diagonal across the floor. Brendan would perform CPR in time to the beat while inwardly screaming 'Why God? Why? Why not Bloody Lulu?' We could only rely on Aliona to give the freshly deceased a dismissive kick and say 'Week 3 and you die on me? Week ****ing Three????????' She may even do a spit

BRILLIANT:o:D:D
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »

It would be in bad taste for someone who is technical brain dead, to interview a corpse :p
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it came close with Jimmy Tarbuck. IIRC he left because of heart problems. I can see it happening at some point on SCD or DWTS because there's always one celeb who looks like a health risk. For me this year it's Alison, last year it was Tony. It was Bruce every year - thought that's what he was aiming for tbh - and Len's no spring chicken these days.

If IRCC on DWTS the celebs have to undergo a medical exam to determine if they are fit enough.
    It was how Jennifer Grey found out she had a tumour on her thyroid.
  • Options
    lateonelateone Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haven't laughed so much in ages! Thanks:D