Options

Grand Designs new series.....

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an odd build, and people here have asked the same questins i did when watching it.

What about the utilities?

How did they solve the problem of access when the house is 10ft in the air?

I did notice that they had awful plastic grass at the front of the house, and plants in pots. Do they expect that to still be there after flooding on the scale of last year?

I would not pay that money to live there.

Far too many problems - such as silt build up.

The moat will soon become a stagnant cess-pit too, so it will require constant cleaning and refreshing of water.

I get that the house will float, if they are employing a 50cc pump to slowly increase the water level, but have they considered a flash flood? If there is a surge, the increase could conceivably overwhelm the gap and enter the basin of the property - where it will sink.

I am not sure this is insurable.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    It was an odd build, and people here have asked the same questins i did when watching it.

What about the utilities?

How did they solve the problem of access when the house is 10ft in the air?

I did notice that they had awful plastic grass at the front of the house, and plants in pots. Do they expect that to still be there after flooding on the scale of last year?

I would not pay that money to live there.

Far too many problems - such as silt build up.

The moat will soon become a stagnant cess-pit too, so it will require constant cleaning and refreshing of water.

I get that the house will float, if they are employing a 50cc pump to slowly increase the water level, but have they considered a flash flood? If there is a surge, the increase could conceivably overwhelm the gap and enter the basin of the property - where it will sink.

I am not sure this is insurable.

Whilst the show didnt cover the utilities, I am sure they were all thought of and designed to work with the house at different heights.

I dont think the floods will ever get so bad, that the house is 10ft in the air. If it did, the the least of your problems would be getting in and out of your house. If the house is 10ft in the air, then getting in and out of the house would still be easy, as the water level would be 10ft high. Thus you could just step out, and swim.

I would have thought the plastic grass was put down to make the front somewhat presentable. Once the work is done, I am sure they would plant some real grass.

They did mention the stagnant water, they said they had a pump to move the water around, so it wouldnt go stagnant. They didnt discuss the exact details.

If there was a flash flood, then you are right it COULD overwhelm the gap, then again they may never have flood severe enough to overwhelm the gap. However if they had 'regular' storm as they did last year, then their house will float and avoid damage...unlike their neighbours. Thus in all cases they would be better of than their neighbours.

I am pretty sure it is insurable. If it wasnt there is noway they would have built it. I would imagine the insurance wouldnt be worse than their neighbours, and is probably cheaper, as there is less chance of flood damage.
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I have seen this one being revisited tonight.

I didn't start to watch them until around late season two when a family member mentioned one she had watched, so I saw the repeat and have been hooked since.

Although the last few seasons aren't really what I would call grand designs, unlike the first 4 seasons or so. These days it is all about cutting edge technology and who can borrow the most money.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    Although the last few seasons aren't really what I would call grand designs, unlike the first 4 seasons or so. These days it is all about cutting edge technology and who can borrow the most money.

And, all too often, who can design the house with the most boring "bug white space" interiors. :)
  • Options
    Laudrup1Laudrup1 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Was there literally no chat on the "Living In The City" show then?

Tell me the entire series isn't going to be like that episode given the next one is "Living in the Wild" or something similar.

It was nothing other than a clip show. I'll be mightily disappointed if we're getting a few episodes of short repeated clips. Even a revisited show would be better than this.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's why there is no chat, I didn't even bother watching as I knew it was just a load of clips re-edited.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was tonight a repeat?

Not sure what to make of the build. Looked impressive but felt a little too clinical and cold to me. And way too big. But it was his dream and he made it happen. Just seemed to sit a little weird in its surroundings. Not sure Kevin was completely sold on it.

Curious fellow. He appeared to be living alone yet seemed to have kids. I was feeling nosey about that.
  • Options
    Vexille1Vexille1 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, what about today's? Awful, IMHO. Oddly - since I hate such things - leaving it all white would have been better than the hideous off-grey/blue used. Black kitchen and bathroom totes pragmatic - not. Really laughed at the late realisation of the 30mm short columns - the infill pieces were dreadful - a radiused 'shoe' of saw black material would have been far better and disguised the error.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was tonight a repeat?

Not sure what to make of the build. Looked impressive but felt a little too clinical and cold to me. And way too big. But it was his dream and he made it happen. Just seemed to sit a little weird in its surroundings. Not sure Kevin was completely sold on it.

Curious fellow. He appeared to be living alone yet seemed to have kids. I was feeling nosey about that.

The EPG for the programme says it was first aired today. I've not seen it before, and I've watched loads.
    The house owner was odd. It was a total exercise in Style over substance. Not always practical, but it just had to looks good.
    In the end, the living area looked low, flat, dull with no character, IMHO. And it looked like the sofa was sitting on a big square of embossed 70s carpet?!
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    Was tonight a repeat?

No, the first of a new series.

Divorcee from the sound of it? Had the children three days a week.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said at the start it'd be 1.5 and I was spot on - Nigh on 2.5m with the land! That much money thrown at anything will achieve remarkable results, as it did here but I've more interest in seeing a restricted budget produce something amazing otherwise we're just watching rich folk spend their money.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although GD has had its fair share of pretentious/more money than sense types before, I have to admit that tonight's the first time I've actually been thinking 'total and utter w***er' to the point where I've had to switch over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Made me laugh when the architect was using a laser measure rather than a tape to measure for the windows. Fortunately the laser didn't work. Architects.
  • Options
    blancoelectra97blancoelectra97 Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although GD has had its fair share of pretentious/more money than sense types before, I have to admit that tonight's the first time I've actually been thinking 'total and utter w***er' to the point where I've had to switch over.

Totally,in the end (and during)I couldn't watch,it was doing my head in.

Did they stitch him up in the editing there? Rightly so IMO if they did, or did he just do it himself?!

I think Kevin Mac allowed him to also.
  • Options
    SpoilerificSpoilerific Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Me and my GF were watching it and every time he said something we just had to shout at him. He was so pretentious, it was infuriating. We also think he knew damn well his old house needed the plastering work which is why he was trying to sell it quickly, and the first sale fell through because they found the damage that needed fixing. At that point he had to pay £40k to fix it to be able to sell it. The minute we saw all the mirrors in the gym we both said it was so he could admire himself. Complete t*sspot. I'm not surprised he's on his own, and if he had a partner/wife (the mother of the kids) I wouldn't be surprised if she left him! He struck me as a Patrick Bateman type, to be honest! A man that committed to cleanliness and organisation to that extreme has serial killer written all over him!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me laugh when the architect was using a laser measure rather than a tape to measure for the windows. Fortunately the laser didn't work. Architects.

I didn't see it but depends on the laser rangefinder. The cheap ones can be poor but the professional ones are very good.
  • Options
    VanbastVanbast Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    It was all a bit odd.

He admitted he wouldn't be using the ovens so the £120,000 kitchen was just for show?

The television was miles away from the settee so it will probably look like a 12" screen in a normal size house.

Most of the week he'll presumably be on his tod. That would freak me out in such a big place. A bit like being in a art gallery after hours.

Was the designer related to Elton John?

And who's going to buy it if he ever sells. I suppose it could be turned in to a car showroom without too much effort.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanbast wrote: »
    He admitted he wouldn't be using the ovens so the £120,000 kitchen was just for show?

He said it was to help with resale.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Me and my GF were watching it and every time he said something we just had to shout at him. He was so pretentious, it was infuriating. We also think he knew damn well his old house needed the plastering work which is why he was trying to sell it quickly, and the first sale fell through because they found the damage that needed fixing. At that point he had to pay £40k to fix it to be able to sell it. The minute we saw all the mirrors in the gym we both said it was so he could admire himself. Complete t*sspot. I'm not surprised he's on his own, and if he had a partner/wife (the mother of the kids) I wouldn't be surprised if she left him! He struck me as a Patrick Bateman type, to be honest! A man that committed to cleanliness and organisation to that extreme has serial killer written all over him!
    ...steady on...
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please GD, no more shoe boxes with lots of glass!
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to watch this on demand, but its not available because of a problem.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    It's repeated on tomorrow at 7pm on C4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some very harsh critisism on here. I didnt warm to the bloke, but didnt dislike him either. I thought the house would be cold, as he would paint it all white on the inside. When I say the blue, I quite liked it. It would be ideal for a large family. There were 5 of them, so the kids had plenty of space to run around and be kids.

I quite like the glass boxes, its a main selling feature for most if not all house in the current market. Adding big folding glass doors, or having large glass patio doors will always add value to your house, and will get the agents saying "they will let plenty of light in" which is always a positive.

I am surprised he spent £40K on re-plastering his old house. Most people would have done a boch job on the cheap, as they were selling it and only had to look good for a few months whilst it was sold. So good on him there.

Probably not for me, as it was too big. However his old house, if I had the money I would have bought. It did look great from what we saw of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vanbast wrote: »

Most of the week he'll presumably be on his tod. That would freak me out in such a big place. A bit like being in a art gallery after hours.

He said he wouldnt be using both of the ovens. At the end credits, you can see him cooking in the kitchen, and one of the ovens was on.

How do you figure out that he would on his own for most of the week?
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Divorcee from the sound of it? Had the children three days a week.

I dont recall him saying this. How do you know he only had kids for three days a week?
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    I dont recall him saying this. How do you know he only had kids for three days a week?

Because he said so:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/on-demand/57385-003

1m15s

"I've got four children who are with me two to three days each and every week"