Options

Radio City 96.7: On it's way out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should leave modern pop to Juice and put Wave 105 on on 96.7, with some local input. The perfect commercial answer to Radio 2, would sit nicely in the area. Capital and Juice playing modern pop, Magic oldies, Smooth younger oldies, Wave is the perfect bridge. Put all sport on City Talk, making Wave 96.7 a true music alternative.

Just an idea :D
    Looks like in January:
    Magic on DAB (but becomes like Heart?)
    City 1 (as now)
    City 2 Greatest Hits oldies
    City 3 modern pop
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I don't listen to Juice a huge amount, but i'd never use those terms to describe it! It's not as polished as the now heavily networked Radio City, but neither does it sound like a cheap tinpot station.

Really? You're sh***ing me? Nobody I know who is young owns a radio, unless I bought it for them, and they listen to Capital, Heart and Smooth. Youngsters listen to Juice on a phone, and are blissfully unaware of radio as it could/should sound.

Anyone 35+, without prompting from me, makes comments like...
    Can't we listen to Capital? At least we won't hear the crap nasal voices.
    (Laughter), that could've been said over the phone intercom from the stockroom.
    This is just dreadful (expletives deleted).
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had Juice on for the last 30 minutes or so to see how bad it is based on your comments. I couldn't really find much to complain about, it's just a typical chart music station with a dance slant. The voices, imaging and production sounds OK to me. You're making it sound like some appalling community station but there doesn't seem to be any obvious evidence of that. Is there a particular time I should listen?
  • Options
    richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    I've had Juice on for the last 30 minutes or so to see how bad it is based on your comments. I couldn't really find much to complain about, it's just a typical chart music station with a dance slant. The voices, imaging and production sounds OK to me. You're making it sound like some appalling community station but there doesn't seem to be any obvious evidence of that. Is there a particular time I should listen?

Listen to it from 10am. It just sounds so weak. I do listen on DAB though, so maybe it's the DAB processing that makes it sound poor. The guy in work who insists it goes on said to me last week, when I switched to Magic, "when are we having Juice on?". There was a lot of noise at work that day, but he hadn't realised his favourite station had been on for four hours! Everybody knows when Magic is on as it's processing is so much better, it can be heard at no increase in volume.

Your comments about an "appalling community station" did amuse, but don't forget, the comments quoted above did not come from my mouth, they just tell me because I'm in to radio.

Off topic, there's another station we have on sometimes, Nation. A lad, who loves the music it plays, told me "I know i don't know anything about radio, but I can tell that this is all over the place" - in relation to the fact that their levels are all over the place, it goes off and comes back on, and records fade prematurely and quickly, into an ad break. I guess when things are wrong people do pick up on it.

Anyway, my comments don't matter, it's purely my opinion. The point is that Juice is indeed THE station for Liverpools youth.... bringing things back on topic.
  • Options
    RadiodjmusicRadiodjmusic Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I agree with Richie, the only time i have tuned into city is when it pops up on the car radio and it is always dance music....no star names like years ago..same old bland output....
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is that Juice is indeed THE station for Liverpools youth.... bringing things back on topic.
    Nation was XFM but the format has changed to include more classic rock.
    Juice is different to other UTV stations and could be it might be on D2 if UTV and Bauer win the bid, but might clash with Brightons Juice?
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I don't dislike modern pop, but I hate Juice! It's sound is lacklustre in the extreme. Jingles, processing, nasal sounding jocks that sound like a kid stopped in the street to do a link, repetitive... everything about it screams poor.

Yet, I agree, it is THE station for Liverpool! Everyone I know (in it's target market) listens to it. Nobody I know (in IT'S target market) listens to City. Shocking really, but I guess it's not Liverpool enough anymore.

I think they should leave modern pop to Juice and put Wave 105 on on 96.7, with some local input. The perfect commercial answer to Radio 2, would sit nicely in the area. Capital and Juice playing modern pop, Magic oldies, Smooth younger oldies, Wave is the perfect bridge. Put all sport on City Talk, making Wave 96.7 a true music alternative.

Just an idea :D

But it's not just that Radio City isn't "not Liverpool enough anymore". It's the music that City plays that's the problem. I feel it is aimed at 40-60 year olds! If Juice stayed as is is now but switched to City's playlist I wouldn't listen to it anymore.

As it happens I much prefer Radio 1 to all of them but if I want a change I'll try Juice for a bit and possibly Capital. But Juice is far, far better than Capital (music wise).