Options

ee - its clear Phil loves Shirley more than Sharon

Comments

• Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    He doesn't want to be her friend, what use would she be to him?

Before she acted as a companion, someone to get drunk with, someone who was nice to Ben. Now he sees her as the woman who is not only trying to stop him from getting Lexi but also the person who has the power to put him in prison, although he doesn't think she'll ever do it.

so can he not even wish her a happy new year? why was she even in the pub in mondays ep? she was better off at the masoods. clearly she was there for a reason!

yeah he knew she was right. i dont believe for a second he was that scared of her to break off the fake engagement to sharon. there was more to it
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Sharon has known Phil for 23 years, she knows exactly what he is like and what kind of man he is.

She's known him for about 11 of those years. They haven't even kept in touch when she's away.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think theyre trying to show his love he had/s for sharon and comparing it to the love he had for shirl. he's controlling sharon and lying to her. he only lets her see what she wants to see.

How is that any different to his relationship with Shirley? :D

But regardless, it's not comparable. His current relationship with Sharon isn't a romantic one even though he's now trying to take it further.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    well i heard it a different way. he shouldnt be mentioning an ex leaving to the woman he's supposed to want to spend the rest of his life with lol

I just rewatched the scene, and actually he didn't even say that. He said 'you've always been a Mitchell really, haven't ya?'. Sorry, but you're definitely reading too much into it.

Also I think his reference to Shirley in the context of that conversation was pretty much saying that Sharon came back at the perfect time. She is the one to save him, and if (when?) she finds out that he lied to her about the Dennis business she could be the one to destroy him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he mentioned her last night & said to sharon "its always been you aint it" showing that even he doubts that.

I think you're reading far too much into that. "Ain't it" (or "isn't it") is used for emphasis, not as an indicator of doubt.

Oxford Dictionary says: "Used in a non-standard way at the end of a statement for emphasis."
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so can he not even wish her a happy new year? why was she even in the pub in mondays ep? she was better off at the masoods. clearly she was there for a reason!

yeah he knew she was right. i dont believe for a second he was that scared of her to break off the fake engagement to sharon. there was more to it

He didn't wish her a happy new year as he doesn't care about her. Her being in the Vic didn't mean much, I'm guessing she just thought that she wouldn't be able to get drunk at the Masoods. Shirley's whole appearance in that episode was very weird tbh.

He wasn't scared that she was going to go to the police and tell them that he helped in the murder, he was worried that she was going to sabotage his dream of having the perfect family. Being exposed as a liar would basically ensure that he didn't get Lexi which is why he did it.

He's reached a level of obsession regarding this whole family thing and he was scared that Shirley would ruin it.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona is that you:D

Your username says a lot. You missed some vital Pharon years between 1990 and 1994 in which the epic Sharongate took place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    I just rewatched the scene, and actually he didn't even say that. He said 'you've always been a Mitchell really, haven't ya?'. Sorry, but you're definitely reading too much into it.

Also I think his reference to Shirley in the context of that conversation was pretty much saying that Sharon came back at the perfect time. She is the one to save him, and if (when?) she finds out that he lied to her about the Dennis business she could be the one to destroy him.

he said everything fell apart for the last few months and it did. sharon knew shirley had gone. he didnt need to mention it. if he didnt care for shirley at all then sharon had nothing to save him from. he only needed to mention ben in that scene.

yeah he said she's always been a mitchell but i dont think he sees her as family. in that scene about peggy he mentioned everyone in his family and not sharon. he wouldnt even make sharon godmother ffs!

i think this is a much better and interesting story for phil/sharon. sharon might end up feeling threatened by it one day. esp if she finds that picture of shirley/ben. they need to set up a story for phil/sharon and not a boring old love story
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous to state that Shirley knows Phil better than Sharon. Even Newman had to come to her senses and realise this, looking at her recent interview. Sharon has known Phil for twenty-three years; and in that she understands the structure and attitude of the Mitchell family; it's operation as a group of people who will drop anyone under a bus for the sake of 'faaamily' and how it's not often outsiders end up truly as being considered 'part of the family'. It was Shirley's complete lack of knowledge of this; that allowed her to be trampled over by Phil and furthermore her complete shock of not being able to able to exert any authority within that family even when Peggy left. Even with the 'runts of the litter'.

Sharon knows how to communicate with Phil; how to get him to open up about issues. Shirley has never been able to do that with Phil in their relationship. It has always lacked communication and it's the fact that Shirley is not the soft, feminine figure that is Phil's type is why he even went and shagged his aunt. Of course Sharon doesn't know the depth of Phil's darkness; but equally Shirley had no idea of the good side of Phil and how to bring that out. If anything she excaberated the already very negative side of his character that we've seen in the last ten years.
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya know the actual truth is:

Phils true love is whoever the writers decide it is LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »

Your username says a lot. You missed some vital Pharon years between 1990 and 1994 in which the epic Sharongate took place.

what is sharongate? i'm going to read up on it on Wikipedia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sharon is very ditzy and unassuming, shirley is wise. she knows what phil is doing

Have you really been watching since 2001?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    He didn't wish her a happy new year as he doesn't care about her. Her being in the Vic didn't mean much, I'm guessing she just thought that she wouldn't be able to get drunk at the Masoods. Shirley's whole appearance in that episode was very weird tbh

He's reached a level of obsession regarding this whole family thing and he was scared that Shirley would ruin it.
    if he doesnt care about her there was no need to mention her last night !!!!!!!!!!

if he never ever cared about her there was just no need. sharon knew she had gone. he only needed to mention ben

yes and he's not even stopping her. he knows shes talking to lola & sharon. shirley said something to sharon last night & it scared sharon. phil should be saying things to sharon like "shirley is an idiot dont listen to her she doesnt mean anything to me. she was only ever a fling while i was waiting for you. i only let her see what she wanted to see. she thinks she knows the real me" etc he hasnt said any of it to pass off as shirl was nothing to him. he's saying the exact opposite !! .
    dullagj2 wrote: »

i saw some of it on youtube. some people are even saying that phil hasnt shown a lot of interestin sharon since she came back. its only now he's proposed that he has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sharon and Phil's affair which was revealed to a packed Queen Vic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL kind of says it all!
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    KaylaL wrote: »
    Ya know the actual truth is:

Phils true love is whoever the writers decide it is LOL

True..if they can make Kat fall for Derek they can do anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sharon cheated with Phil behind his brother Grant's(who she was married to) back.
    It was voted best storyline ever a few years ago, well worth a watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh wow sharon is such a shedevil she has slept with so many men
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw some of it on youtube. some people are even saying that phil hasnt shown a lot of interesting in sharon since she came back. its only now he's proposed that he has.

Well that's a bit silly. They've spent the majority of their screen time with each other since she came back.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's ridiculous to state that Shirley knows Phil better than Sharon. Even Newman had to come to her senses and realise this, looking at her recent interview. Sharon has known Phil for twenty-three years; and in that she understands the structure and attitude of the Mitchell family; it's operation as a group of people who will drop anyone under a bus for the sake of 'faaamily' and how it's not often outsiders end up truly as being considered 'part of the family'. It was Shirley's complete lack of knowledge of this; that allowed her to be trampled over by Phil and furthermore her complete shock of not being able to able to exert any authority within that family even when Peggy left. Even with the 'runts of the litter'.

Sharon knows how to communicate with Phil; how to get him to open up about issues. Shirley has never been able to do that with Phil in their relationship. It has always lacked communication and it's the fact that Shirley is not the soft, feminine figure that is Phil's type is why he even went and shagged his aunt. Of course Sharon doesn't know the depth of Phil's darkness; but equally Shirley had no idea of the good side of Phil and how to bring that out. If anything she excaberated the already very negative side of his character that we've seen in the last ten years.

Thank you, PP; you've summed it up perfectly.

I honestly wonder sometimes if some of the people on this forum are watching the same show as me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh wow sharon is such a shedevil she has slept with so many men

If we're comparing the two women then she hasn't got anything on leggy Shirley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Well that's a bit silly. They've spent the majority of their screen time with each other since she came back.

yes but he hasnt shown major interest in being with her. he hasnt bent over backwards to get her. the old phil would move heaven and earth to get sharons love & approval. he wasnt doing that last night clearly he was lying to her
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL kind of says it all!

It was a LONG TIME AGO though.

Sharon DOESN'T know Phil, she just remembers what Phil used to be.

When she realised that Jack actually WASN'T paranoid, Phil was out to get her, it was important.

She hadn't even realised THAT.

She truly doesn't KNOW Phil, not as he is now, it's been too long.

To say he does is to deny all the history he has since she went.

Which is what they are both, in their ways, trying to do.

It's an illusion.
  • Options
    Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if he doesnt care about her there was no need to mention her last night !!!!!!!!!!

if he never ever cared about her there was just no need. sharon knew she had gone. he only needed to mention ben

yes and he's not even stopping her. he knows shes talking to lola & sharon. shirley said something to sharon last night & it scared sharon. phil should be saying things to sharon like "shirley is an idiot dont listen to her she doesnt mean anything to me. she was only ever a fling while i was waiting for you. i only let her see what she wanted to see. she thinks she knows the real me" etc he hasnt said any of it to pass off as shirl was nothing to him. he's saying the exact opposite !! .

He didn't mention her in a loving way though, it was a throwaway comment he made whilst trying to convince Sharon to marry him.

Surely if he really loved Shirley then he would be making it obvious to her that he wanted her back. Instead he's vowing to take Sharon away from Jack. Why would he bother if he could have what he really wanted? Shirley isn't exactly fighting off the men and he knows it, judging by the size of his ego if he wanted her back he would be trying.

Like someone else said I think you are reading too far into the little things and it looks like you desperately want Phil to like Shirley... but in doing so you're missing the huge clues that the writers are giving that he doesn't like her at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sharon never helped phil through his crack addiction shirley did. has sharon ever helped phil? she is always busy trying to find a new man/husband so im not surprised