Smooth xmas

Comments

• RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's from last year. 1st November is a Friday this year.

Well spotted Omni,!! Why would someone want to post it on facebook?? unless it was wishful thinking??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard today that magic will have a magic Xmas station this year!
  • ollie_collie_c Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Heard today that magic will have a magic Xmas station this year!

Where did you hear that? Is there a link at all? Would be good if it's true!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Well spotted Omni,!! Why would someone want to post it on facebook?? unless it was wishful thinking??
    Just typing "smooth Christmas" into google brings up this page as the first result - maybe the person on FB did not see the big 2012 in the headline!
    http://www.smoothradio.co.uk/music/buzz/smooth-xmas-is-back-for-2012/229f8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ollie_c wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? Is there a link at all? Would be good if it's true!

Via earshot creative
  • Scott_P1Scott_P1 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Yes i notice that, a member posted the false newsletter on smooth facebook page last night and they probably misread the date print at the end of the letter on smooth website, I think smooth radio team in London read it and deleted the post before anyone had notice it.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow 9 weeks until Christmas. better start dusting the DVD's down.

Wonder when the first regular station will go seasonal.
  • ollie_collie_c Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know yet of any stations that may be converting to just Christmas music (ala Smooth Xmas)? Any further details on Magic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Smooth Christmas definitely not broadcasting this year

https://mobile.twitter.com/SmoothXmas/status/392233698856165376
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    ollie_c wrote: »
    Anyone know yet of any stations that may be converting to just Christmas music (ala Smooth Xmas)? Any further details on Magic?

I'm guessing not...
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OFT decision for taking over Absolute and getting extra bandwidth on D1 for perhaps Magic Christmas radio is Dec 20th so unlikely!
    but some continuous Christmas songs are on Magic TV http://www.magic.co.uk/magictv
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Wohnort
    October 1st
    It's Christmas already in the Netherlands! Sky Radio Xmas has popped up on the Block 11C ensemble DAB+
    Now Smooth is on local DAB muxes, will Global launch Smooth XMAS on the spare space on D1 before the 70s, 80s,90s station starts?

Will Bauer close Abs 90s early om D1 for Magic XMAS?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt Global would do a Christmas station now and if they did, the narrow playlist would be unbearable for a day, never mind weeks!
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll ever see an FM station in the UK go "all Christmas".

Hundreds of AC stations do in America, for a whole month, and their audiences tend to pretty much double.

But America's a very different market, with a clearly defined holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and I suspect British audiences would be less favourably inclined to put up with it.

Nevertheless, it would be an interesting experiment for, say, Smooth or Magic.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »

Hundreds of AC stations do in America, for a whole month, and their audiences tend to pretty much double.

But America's a very different market, with a clearly defined holiday season from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and I suspect British audiences would be less favourably inclined to put up with it.

Didn't a station here do that last year?

Hideous, I turn off the radio as soon as i hear the first Xmas song of the year.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Didn't a station here do that last year?

Hideous, I turn off the radio as soon as i hear the first Xmas song of the year.
    I don't mind hearing the odd Christmas song but only in the immediate run up to the day itself.

Radio 2 has the best policy. They only seem to play Christmas songs from the beginning of December and start off by just playing a small handful during the day in the first couple of weeks of the month before increasing the frequency as it gets closer to Christmas Day.

I remember listening to Smooth Xmas one year and it was torture after a very short while. I soon switched to listening to another station.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »

It would probably improve the current dire Smooth playlist of repetitive depressing drivel
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the USA stations play songs the UK ones never do. Last year I listened to Christmas FM, a Dublin based station. It is back this year and plays the songs we are all familiar with. November 1st start.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    A lot of the USA stations play songs the UK ones never do. Last year I listened to Christmas FM, a Dublin based station. It is back this year and plays the songs we are all familiar with. November 1st start.

I just hate the Xmas song overkill. They should only be played the week before Christmas. Anything earlier and I tune out each time they are played.
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news was on the RadioToday twitter feed this morning,

UTV launching Signal Christmas, Wave Christmas & Pulse Christmas on 17/11. Full details on Monday at http://RadioToday.co.uk
  • jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Not even sure why this thread has been reactivated. Smooth Christmas has gone we will never have another dedicated UK Christmas radio station on the current radio mediums apart from the web and apps such as radioplayer or tunein radio.

So for goodness sake forget it about it.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

UTV launching Signal Christmas, Wave Christmas & Pulse Christmas on 17/11. Full details on Monday at http://RadioToday.co.uk

A bit more info from http://www.wohnort.org/dab/
    October 31st
    "The geese are getting fat!" The UK regulator Ofcom has authorised the addition of temporary festive services to be broadcast between November 17th and December 28th as follows: Pulse Xmas on Bradfrd&Huddersf; Signal Xmas on Stoke & Stafford and Wave Xmas on Swansea SW Wales.
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Not even sure why this thread has been reactivated. Smooth Christmas has gone we will never have another dedicated UK Christmas radio station on the current radio mediums apart from the web and apps such as radioplayer or tunein radio.

So for goodness sake forget it about it.

You're right, Smooth Xmas won't be back, however the reason this thread was re-activated was because of the post above yours:

Personally these full on Crimbo stations are not for me. I like hearing the seasonal songs every so often mixed in with the regular offerings, but I know some people who go mental over Christmas songs. My workplace puts on (or used to put on) Christmas radio on the last day before we closed for the Christmas period. Drove me only slightly nuts!! :D
  • Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Christmas on stations in the USA are much better than the UK. Over here they play the same ones like Wizard - I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday, Slade - Merry Christmas Everyone and Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas Time and I get bored with them. Over in America they tend to vary the songs by playing ones you never hear on UK stations like that Alvin And The Chipmunks One. They did last year have a UK station that changed it's name to a Christmas one when I thought I'd picked up a temporary RSL station which was Minster that became Mincepie FM throughout December 2013 when I was tuning into stations on a car radio and it said that name on it's RDS. It might do the same this year or maybe even launch on DAB under that name with the North Yorkshire Multiplex going on.
  • ChelmsfordDudeChelmsfordDude Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I think Christmas on stations in the USA are much better than the UK. Over here they play the same ones like Wizard - I Wish It Could be Christmas Everyday, Slade - Merry Christmas Everyone and Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas Time and I get bored with them. Over in America they tend to vary the songs by playing ones you never hear on UK stations like that Alvin And The Chipmunks One. They did last year have a UK station that changed it's name to a Christmas one when I thought I'd picked up a temporary RSL station which was Minster that became Mincepie FM throughout December 2013 when I was tuning into stations on a car radio and it said that name on it's RDS. It might do the same this year or maybe even launch on DAB under that name with the North Yorkshire Multiplex going on.

Our local station isn't too bad. They've played a few from the 60, Nat King Cole, even some I haven't ever heard of by The Pretenders and Eurythmics. They even played one by Cee-Lo Green and The Muppets!